Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 73

Author Topic: Paranoia RPG, The Computer is your friend!  (Read 83542 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Paranoia RPG, The Computer is your friend!
« Reply #360 on: January 29, 2012, 09:15:10 pm »

^
Yeah, I'm still wondering how you managed to shoot down the copter, shoot our car up, and shoot your own legs off, all in the same attack.
It was a heat-seeking weapon. Heat-seeking and armor-piercing machine gun, I believe.

And for clarification, I shot off all of the fingers on my right hand, shot my liver, and shot off both of my legs. (Though it was never specified where, exactly, they were severed.)

The running over of one of our targets was also rather amusing, now that I recall. Especially considering there wasn't much of a good reason to do so.

There was a very good reason. Orders were to capture, or to kill rather than allow them to escape. Also, I wanted to run someone over, and it seemed rather suicidal to try it on the IS mooks.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • You can't spell slaughter without laughter!
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: January 30, 2012, 02:25:49 am »

Damn it I missed so much \o.o/ I will be at that next game that was so much god damn fun ! :D
He must be running 3.5 abacuses of RAM

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: January 30, 2012, 04:22:34 am »

Also I must know the debrief !!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: January 30, 2012, 08:48:16 am »

I don't think anyone got a transcript, but let's say that it was awkward, but not... lethal.

3. Run Resize Enable

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: January 30, 2012, 09:19:22 am »

:P I had such great plans for you all :( fucking college >,< anyway hopefully can get a game on tonight :D also just wondering if we have a character, do we carry on with that character from mission to mission till we run out of clones ? It would be nice to rank up and keep rank for next mission :D

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: January 30, 2012, 09:21:31 am »

I don't think anyone got a transcript, but let's say that it was awkward, but not... lethal.

DMs of Paranoia as I am finding out are rather squeemish with handing out the death.

Even the ones who play outside of Roleplay mode.

Inspite of... you know... the fact that unfair totally unavoidable death is one of the game's staples. "Ohh no my gun is overloading! ohh no I am melting!"

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: January 30, 2012, 09:40:08 am »

DMs of Paranoia as I am finding out are rather squeemish with handing out the death.
Ah well, i personally prefer not killing people 'randomly' unless they make sequential bad rolls or really bad decisions.. But that's because i lean towards classic/straight style, which is actually supposed to be played more that way. I mean, i could certainly Kill you off right away then just insert your clone, but the pace was 'relatively' fast and just keeping up with all the pms and the context made it so i wasn't really just sitting there doing nothing.. Had you started stalling more or doing nothing relevant, then i would of sped things along. Also, i don't think any enemy every got a [critical success] on you the entire game.. hence no one died in say, one shot. I mean there was actually two times where you were pretty much all going to die, but you managed to avoid it in the nick of time.

[and as for gun overloading. well your laser pistols are supposed to be good for at least 6 shots a barrel persay, assuming your not playing zap and your gm doesnt hate you]

anyway hopefully can get a game on tonight  also just wondering if we have a character, do we carry on with that character from mission to mission till we run out of clones ?

When you play with me, you can certainly continue using any character you used with me, until you run out of clones (you can buy more, with the price rising quite quickly). Someone did get in fact promoted, mostly because he did [REDACTED]. Incidently, Scriptwold you were lucky you werent in the briefing in one way, in that you got caught preforming a traitorous act on Dwa's multicoder[camera/otherthing], which he turned into Taki[supervisor].
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 09:44:40 am by Rift »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: January 30, 2012, 09:50:42 am »

But that's because i lean towards classic/straight style, which is actually supposed to be played more that way

No thats "RPG" style where the games were made to last long periods of time.

The examples the game gives for the tone of the game outside this mode includes getting medical attention and finding that your drug is tainted, telling the computer that it is tainted, and then being forced to eat it as part of a test.

It is the main reason why you have soo many lives. Which in fact means "Is actually supposed to be played more that way" is somewhat not exactly correct. Given you can play on your mode forever.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: January 30, 2012, 10:04:18 am »

Well, the manuals flatly contradict what your saying.. They explicitly stated several times in the manual i have that Straight players often/expected to often live through missions(not ALL of them in any mission certainly) [provided they try hard enough]. That's not to say it wouldn't be extremely rare for someone to get 3 missions into a campaign without dieing once. However while it's not explicitly stated, if you make good decisions and don't loft about, Straight games should almost always have some survivors[at least one anyway, unless they failed a bunch of roles or killed each other or make bad choices].
Now Perhaps for "classic" i should of been more violent, although i still hold that having a survivor or two in a mission of classic isn't a bad thing.
Personally I think a fatality rate of 200% for zap [avg 2 deaths a person], 80% for classic[80% of the team dies] and 50% for straight seem pretty decent.
You are of course, welcome to disagree about how classic should be played, however classic is really just 'something between straight and zap with elements from both/either. However Straight is definitely more of a punish people for their mistakes game, not random chance deaths[unless its like.. critical failure twice.. well or a critical failure on a violent mutant power]

Personally i find it boring and pointless to kill people for no reason at all, which is why i don't play/gm Zap.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:07:36 am by Rift »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: January 30, 2012, 10:07:26 am »

Hmmm I think I am confusing the terms of gameplay. >_<

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: January 30, 2012, 10:11:43 am »

They are very fluid terms, and classic does refer to paranoia back in the day. However the way paranoia works is this:
Usually the first time people play paranoia [unless the dm/gm pushes for it] they play zap. After awhile they slowly end up becoming more and more 'straight' in gamestyle if they play lots of games.
It's more of a 'spectrum' then hard and fast rules.
Zap<->Classic<->Straight
Where the original design for the game is 'classic' but in-reality new gms/dms/players often devolved into zap before the creators of the game even called zap a playstyle... so even if people often try and play classic they end up playing zap. Likewise because i've played/gm'd quite a bit in the last 6 months, my style of play/style of dming even if i call it classic is likely sliding into straight.

Edit: i should also mention i'm using the paranoia XP manual, which is i think, the last 'all-around' instructions manual. It's entirely possible the early ones had different/contradicting opinions.

Edit2: after reading more on it in the manual, i strongly lean towards straight.

From the manual:
PARANOIA  Straight  is a darkly satiric style emphasizing  tension,  mutual  suspicion, spying and subterfuge, and careful collection of evidence. Alpha Complex is an oppressive totalitarian bureaucracy that works scarily well, using its own insane but comprehensible logic. The all-powerful Computer, though willing to listen to reason, is always four steps ahead of the players. Troubleshooters are generally esteemed as heroic adventurers. Troubleshooting is a high-risk, high-payoff path to social advancement, and those who play it smart and low-key can learn to survive in the machinery of oppression. Troubleshooters aren’t automatically rivals from the first minute, but gradually develop personal enmities and evidence dossiers. This style can be extremely interesting. Using the designated Straight rules with experienced PARANOIA players, you can keep characters alive long enough to play a ‘miniseries’, a linked set of missions with continuing characters. Avoid building ready-made rivalries into the PCs’ missions; they’ll develop these themselves. Players immerse themselves in the setting, learn the ropes and develop emotional commitment to their characters. In such a setting you can scare them thoroughly, toes to eyebrows.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:19:18 am by Rift »

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: January 30, 2012, 11:25:22 am »

Did we ever decide on a date for the next session?
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: January 30, 2012, 11:35:22 am »

we tentatively said sunday, i dont think everyone can do it say, tonight. although technically i can.

ScriptWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: January 30, 2012, 11:40:44 am »

i could as well :P but sunday is also good :).

also well played DWA untill next time...

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: January 30, 2012, 11:50:38 am »

Yeah, I believe it was next Sunday.

In regards to the rules/whatever, I have no experience whatsoever, but I enjoyed what we did much more than I think I would have enjoyed playing a session where deaths were arbitrary and fairly random. When people died (or got their legs, liver, and fingers blown off), it was because of bad rolls, or because we screwed up, and that makes for a great deal more tension. And to be fair, both the scramble in the parking lot and the incident with the copter came very close to being a TPK without any further help from Rift.

3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 73