Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 73

Author Topic: Paranoia RPG, The Computer is your friend!  (Read 83413 times)

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
Paranoia RPG, The Computer is your friend!
« on: October 25, 2011, 09:03:14 pm »

Old OP:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Well it appears that this thread has instead mutated into the thread for our Paranoia games. We play at least once a week through Steam, and are always looking for more players and GMs... Especially GMs  8)

We organize our games through this group, and announcements of games are usually a game or two in advance.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 01:26:12 pm by Silent_Thunder »

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Paranoia RPG + other Pen & Papers
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2011, 11:24:08 am »

I'm most certainly interested in Paranoia, though I can only play starting from the 5th of November.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

gimlet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2011, 11:44:09 am »

Heh the few I remember are taking a medkit but absolutely no medical skills and being the "Doctor" heh.  Oh or finding a tube of poison pills, and putting one of the Minty Breath-o-Fresheners on the end, then casually pulling out the tube, eating the mint, and courteously offering the rest to the other Troubleshooters...  Ahh, good times...

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2011, 12:01:29 pm »

Oh yes.  I have some.

They're above your security level.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2011, 01:27:16 pm »

I've never played Paranoia, but it sounds awesome. Firstly, is there anywhere I can get an overview of the general rules, or does it mutate so much no-one knows what's going on?
Secondly, I'd be up for a game at some point.
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2011, 01:36:49 pm »

Let me put it simply.

In one RL game, our GM told the new, rule-lawyering player that to succeed he'd need a 5 or lower

He rolled 1d10, it was a 2. he then said "Oh look a 7, you died!" he did this just to point out how nebulous the rules can be, and that the Rule-Laywer should just shut up from now on..

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2011, 01:56:04 pm »

I've never played Paranoia, but it sounds awesome. Firstly, is there anywhere I can get an overview of the general rules, or does it mutate so much no-one knows what's going on?

The rules are thus:

There are security clearences from Infrared (black) to Ultra Violet (white).  You start at Red, you can touch things that are of your security clearance and lower, and are otherwise not an infrared commoner who is pumped full of happy drugs.

Friend Computer is always right.
Not obeying Friend Computer is treason.
Friend Computer says "Trust Friend Computer"
Friend Computer says "Be happy" (Not being happy is treason)
Friend Computer says that Secret Societies are treasonous, they want to overthrow Friend Computer.
Friend Computer says that mutants are treasonous, as they have powers that can hurt Friend Computer.
Treason is punishable by summary execution.

You're a mutant that belongs to a secret society.  So is the rest of your team.  You also come in a 6-pack (of clones), and any crimes committed by one are assumed forgiven, as that clone "clearly had errors."

Now go out.

Find trouble.

And shoot it.

(That is: that's all you're allowed to know, it's about 8 pages worth of the rulebook of over 200)

By the way, clever GMs will extend these rules to RL objects.  If he throws pens down on the table DON'T pick up the wrong color.  I made this mistake once.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 02:01:06 pm by Draco18s »

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2011, 02:11:22 pm »

I still take pride in "Accidentally"*tm killing my team leader while driving to the objective.

*by which I mean telekinteically shoving him into traffic
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2011, 02:19:25 pm »

i highly suggest even those with minimal to no experience in Pen and paper rpgs try out paranoia with us. Its amazing, and its pretty quick to pick up [i never played it before, and got it pretty quick, and i dont play many].
Really fun though

..play
..with
..us.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2011, 02:22:21 pm »

Oh yes, Paranoia takes almost no knowledge of RPGs to play.  Just an understanding of what one needs to do.  If the GM says "roll dice" you roll dice.  A little on knowing what skills you have, but that's fairly strait forward.
Almost anything else is made up on the fly.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2011, 02:24:39 pm »

i highly suggest even those with minimal to no experience in Pen and paper rpgs try out paranoia with us. Its amazing, and its pretty quick to pick up [i never played it before, and got it pretty quick, and i dont play many].
Really fun though

..play
..with
..us.

Im in! Always wanted to try out a good PnP. Never played any, though other than homebrew no-gm ones.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2011, 02:28:18 pm »

Really fun though

..play
..with
..us.

Im in! Always wanted to try out a good PnP. Never played any, though other than homebrew no-gm ones.
I said earlier, but for clarification:
I'M VERY MUCH IN
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

nuker w

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2011, 02:43:00 pm »

I'm in for paranoia game. :D

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2011, 02:44:42 pm »

If you want in, we run the group here

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/FriendDwarf

HLBeta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2011, 02:46:24 pm »

I would love to play some Paranoia. A friend of mine bought the troubleshooter book awhile back and had me read through the player section, but never started a game. Here's hoping I can "luck" out and be a double-secret-triple-agent. Because nothing says fun like mutually exclusive personal secret assignments.
... and then it explodes!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 73