Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Storing Water  (Read 1930 times)

Dveduu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Storing Water
« on: October 18, 2011, 08:58:38 pm »

Is there any way to store water? I lost an injured military squad because they couldn't get out of bed to get a drink, and the other dwarfs kept trying to get frozen water from the lake.

tryrar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Storing Water
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2011, 09:00:01 pm »

This fort really does sit on the event horizon of madness and catastrophe
No. I suppose there are similarities, but I'm fairly certain angry birds doesn't let me charge into a battalion of knights with a car made of circular saws.

Kromgar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2011, 09:00:37 pm »

Channel a reservoir and drain the lake into it and block off the drain after it drains so it can refill. The water will now be in a usable reservoir

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2011, 09:46:50 pm »

Don't forget to make sure your cistern/reservoir is covered so it won't freeze over!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2011, 09:53:44 pm »

Don't forget to make sure your cistern/reservoir is covered so it won't freeze over!

And not just 'covered with a constructed roof', but 'covered with natural terrain so it has never been exposed to the sky'. Water in any tile marked Light/Aboveground will freeze, and once a tile has been marked Light/Aboveground it will always be Light/Aboveground.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2011, 10:28:46 pm »

If all you have is a lake, then it might make sense to check the caverns.  The water there will never freeze (barring extreme circumstances, like channeling all the way down to them straight from the surface).
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2011, 10:29:40 pm »

Also, you cannot store water in barrels, but you can sometimes get lucky and have water in buckets.  Not reliably though.  So a cistern and well are your only real options.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2011, 10:34:05 pm »

Also, you cannot store water in barrels, but you can sometimes get lucky and have water in buckets.  Not reliably though.  So a cistern and well are your only real options.

buckets of water can turn into buckets of ice if left outside.
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2011, 11:54:22 pm »

Build underground water towers, made of iron, with dozens filling up a vast chamber, fight for your water, fight!
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.