Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXVIII - GAME OVER - Graduation [2/7, 0/2, 1/1]  (Read 76466 times)

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVIII - D2 - Passing [6/7, 1/2, 1/1]
« Reply #285 on: October 31, 2011, 03:16:21 pm »

I've been taking some time reading through the previous posts, so here goes.

Also, I would not vote to extend unless people were voting to lynch scum. If they were voting to lynch a townie, then there would be no point in extending, because it would give the person more time to defend themself.

Oh. Didn't know I could extend. Alright then, I vote to extend.

Andrew425 was about to be lynched. By your own admission, you would only extend if people were trying to lynch scum. Ergo, Andrew425 is your scum partner.

As for my opinion on the lynch results, I don't really like them because Dsarker was, apparently, a townie. Only people who like mislynches are scum, and people with grudges against the person who was lynched.

On the contrary, lurking is a scummy thing. That is why my vote remains on drakon136.

Reminding us again that you're not scum, is it really necessary?

I'm asking you to have some conviction behind your words, asking easy questions without pressuring is easy to ignore for Caz, throw a vote somewhere, use your only ability as town otherwise you're acting scummy.

Then why haven't you voted for me, Andrew425? All you've done is make a token vote for drakon136 and then quickly withdrew it.

The others have done some things that could be seen as scummy and I'm kinda worried that Toaster's experience would make it impossible to decide if he's scum or not, since he seems devoted to catching scum. ShoesandHats first appeared scummy when it seemed he was buddying up to Dsarker, but since Dsarker was revealed as town that's lost its weight. I think Remalle and Shark are town.

drakon136 has always been scummy, avoidant and has failed to scumhunt in any way. His only vote was in retaliation to Dsarker voting him.

Andrew425 - You unvoted drakon136 because he posted that he did defend himself, that he was afraid of being lynched, that he thinks everyone should be afraid of being lynched, and asking you what is scummy about defending your reputation over actually trying to find scum. What?

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: October 31, 2011, 03:56:00 pm »

Gah!  I'm away for a day and a page's worth of posts as long as pages themselves springs up?  I'm just posting this to let you know I'm not idle, I'm currently reading through the small novel that you guys wrote in my absence.  I'll be back with an actual post soon.

Shark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: October 31, 2011, 04:29:35 pm »

Also, I would not vote to extend unless people were voting to lynch scum. If they were voting to lynch a townie, then there would be no point in extending, because it would give the person more time to defend themself.

Andrew425 was about to be lynched. By your own admission, you would only extend if people were trying to lynch scum. Ergo, Andrew425 is your scum partner.

As for my opinion on the lynch results, I don't really like them because Dsarker was, apparently, a townie. Only people who like mislynches are scum, and people with grudges against the person who was lynched.

On the contrary, lurking is a scummy thing. That is why my vote remains on drakon136.

Reminding us again that you're not scum, is it really necessary?

I'm asking you to have some conviction behind your words, asking easy questions without pressuring is easy to ignore for Caz, throw a vote somewhere, use your only ability as town otherwise you're acting scummy.

Then why haven't you voted for me, Andrew425? All you've done is make a token vote for drakon136 and then quickly withdrew it.

The others have done some things that could be seen as scummy and I'm kinda worried that Toaster's experience would make it impossible to decide if he's scum or not, since he seems devoted to catching scum. ShoesandHats first appeared scummy when it seemed he was buddying up to Dsarker, but since Dsarker was revealed as town that's lost its weight. I think Remalle and Shark are town.

drakon136 has always been scummy, avoidant and has failed to scumhunt in any way. His only vote was in retaliation to Dsarker voting him.

Andrew425 - You unvoted drakon136 because he posted that he did defend himself, that he was afraid of being lynched, that he thinks everyone should be afraid of being lynched, and asking you what is scummy about defending your reputation over actually trying to find scum. What?
I like the part where you ignored my question in my post right before this one.

This argument bothers me.

"Andrew425 was about to be lynched. By your own admission, you would only extend if people were trying to lynch scum. Ergo, Andrew425 is your scum partner."

This argument doesn't make any sense, despite the context. If drakon thinks andrew is town, he would extend to help avoid a mislynch. It's important to lynch the correct person. Also, toaster told him he could extend the post before he did, he was just doing what an IC told him.

Also, that long run on sentence after your vote makes no sense to me, it seems like you're angry because he unvoted. Why are you voting andrew again? Seems like you're bandwagoning.
Real dorf doctors wash with water AND magma. The resulting burning cauterizes the wound, and the obsidian that forms covers the wound so it can heal.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: October 31, 2011, 04:50:18 pm »

First things first.
Who do you suspect the least right now?
Probably Shark or Toaster.  I'm torn on Toaster, though, since he's obviously experienced enough to not act scummy even if he's mafia, and that makes me a bit nervous.
Remalle:  How has your opinion of Caz changed after his recent posts?  Would you say he is your #2 pick?
My opinion hasn't changed.  I'd still point a finger of suspicion at him.  Number two pick?  Hmm... maybe, but I'm honestly not sure whether that opinion stems from your question.  I wasn't really thinking in terms of "this guy's more scummy than this guy, who's scummier than him, who seems like he might or might not be scum...".  In other words, I suspect Caz enough that if I wasn't convinced of Andrew's scumhood, I'd be going after Caz instead, but I'm going after Andrew right now so it doesn't really matter to me.

Next on the agenda, Caz.  Your posts bother me.  It seems like after I asked you why you weren't scumhunting, you started posting, but you didn't bother with the substance, and now everything you say is just throwing suspicion around instead of, you know, hunting.  Can you explain why?
Drakon, you got an extension so you could have time to scumhunt.  When are you going to do so?  Who do you suspect right now, and why?
Shark, several people so far, including myself, have mentioned you're the most town-seeming player.  Who do YOU think is towniest?

And finally, where'd Shoes get off to?  Has he been prodded?

drakon136

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: October 31, 2011, 04:59:54 pm »

Hey, ShoesandHats, get your ass back here and say something.

Andrew425

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: October 31, 2011, 05:38:37 pm »

Yay a book to read!

Do you have any suspicions other than the obvious one? Trying to pretend you're interested in scumhunting without committing?

I do in fact, I will get to my suspicions below.

What's your read on Remalle?  You've gone back and forth with him a lot, but I can't see an opinion of him in your words.

I think he has been playing a pretty good job at looking town, though his latest post
but I'm going after Andrew right now so it doesn't really matter to me.
Worries me. I don't think the town should ever stop scumhunting even if you're sure you've found one.

I had held my vote on Drakon largely because he was inactive. He had posted a few times then went silent after everyone voted for him. For him to show up and start talking when he didn't have to because he wasn't pressured much is a pretty good indication in my mind that he is probably town.

All you've done is make a token vote for drakon136 and then quickly withdrew it.

Caz Your recent posts have me suspicious, why would I be on the same team as drakon when he very nearly got lynched on the first day? I did have my vote on him then and i've been pestering him to show up.

drakon136 Calling someone to show up when at least 6 other posts have done so already seems scummy when that is the only thing you're adding to the conversation.

Shark Everyone thinks that your are the towniest, why do you think that is?
May the mass times acceleration be with you

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: October 31, 2011, 06:09:30 pm »

There we go, this is what I wanted to see. Don't slow down now.

Honestly I suspect Andrew425 more but don't want to be seen as 'joining the bandwagon'.

There's nothing wrong with voting someone who already has a lot of votes as long as your reasoning is valid (and not stolen wholesale from the arguments of others.)  Not doing something because it might look scummy to do is a scum move.  Town should not care how they look*.

*As long as you're honest and forthright in your reasoning for voting people, there's no problem casting your vote.

What this man said.

Your primary concern is finding and hunting scum. It's scummier to avoid voting somebody you claim to suspect because you don't want to look like you're bandwagoning than it actually is to join the wagon itself. Again, if your reasons are good then nobody will have a problem with it.

Worrying about appearances over scumhunting is scummy. Instead, just go scumhunt. You can never go wrong with scumhunting (assuming you know how to do it right).

Toaster, you may be an IC and want to help, but all you do is call people out on their arguments. Going to hunt or not?

If people have flawed arguments, then it is his job to point that out.

But people with flawed arguments might have a deeper reason for why they're peddling them; i.e., they could be scum. Attacking flawed arguments is an excellent thing to do in all cases.

Until scum actually flips you should not be looking for the scum team.

Look at individual players, and judge them by their own scumminess.

Gah!  I'm away for a day and a page's worth of posts as long as pages themselves springs up?  I'm just posting this to let you know I'm not idle, I'm currently reading through the small novel that you guys wrote in my absence.  I'll be back with an actual post soon.

This is actually pretty tame for what goes on in this subforum.

It could be much, much worse. Think ten pages of posts that are two to three times as big.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: October 31, 2011, 06:10:02 pm »

And finally, where'd Shoes get off to?  Has he been prodded?

Though he cuts it close, he has not yet been absent for the required 48 hours for a prod. It should be a lower limit to prevent this kind of skirting the rules, in my opinion, but this seems to  be convention and it's ultimately up to the mod.

I'll just mosey on along, now.

Think0028

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: October 31, 2011, 06:25:06 pm »

He has yet to be prodded, but if I haven't heard from him come tomorrow, he'll be prodded.
If it scares people into posting, then yes.

If they end up lynched because they didn't post, oh well. Too bad for them. Maybe they should've tried posting.
Web-based Lurker Tracker for Mafia

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: October 31, 2011, 08:42:02 pm »

Shark:
Toaster, you may be an IC and want to help, but all you do is call people out on their arguments. Going to hunt or not?

That's one of the mainstays of my hunting- analyzing arguments to determine if they're genuine concerns or someone making crap up to see what sticks. 

Self-meta time:  If my gut tells me someone is scum but I can't put a finger on to why, I start asking them questions until the feeling goes away or I catch them doing something scummy.  Right now, my gut's bugging me about Remalle, but I don't have anything very specific.  I feel like he's pressing Andrew because he's new, not because he thinks Andrew is scum, but that's vague and unprovable.  Since I have no real evidence, I'm trying to find some.  If I can't, I'll drop the matter.

Speaking of Remalle:  Fair enough on your answer.  [I can't fault it, so I'm just going to move on.]

Caz:

...if he's scum, since that is the context of your first quote.  That is why asking what people would do as scum isn't very useful.  Here, the conclusion that he is scum only stands if he is scum- circular logic.

I think Remalle and Shark are town.

Not pictured: reasons.

...and I'm kinda worried that Toaster's experience would make it impossible to decide if he's scum or not, since he seems devoted to catching scum.

Are you saying this is suspicious?

Drakon:
Hey, ShoesandHats, get your ass back here and say something.

You should say something too.  Hint- prodding lurkers is not scum hunting.  Doing it is fine, as long as it's not exclusive to actual hunting (like this post.)
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: October 31, 2011, 09:32:51 pm »

Oh, ok. I have completely no idea how to play this game. o_O Will stick to irc mafia.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: October 31, 2011, 10:24:20 pm »

You should instead put up a good effort even if you don't think you're doing well and finish out the game.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

ShoesandHats

• Bay Watcher
  • Shoes cancels Drink: Intensified by Penguin Man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: October 31, 2011, 11:08:58 pm »

Sorry for the absence. I've gotta do lots of school related stuff and I don't have time for a big post because I need to start working on some homework, so expect a bit more when I get more time.

Caz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: November 01, 2011, 02:30:24 am »

You should instead put up a good effort even if you don't think you're doing well and finish out the game.

Seems like I'm doing less than nothing in the scumhunting department, might as well be drakon lol.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: November 01, 2011, 08:22:46 am »

Caz:
Oh, ok. I have completely no idea how to play this game. o_O Will stick to irc mafia.

Forum mafia is more thoughtful and logical than IRC, since it's much slower paced.  It's just a difference experience.  Stick around- you're getting it.  (For the record, I suck at IRC mafia)

Seems like I'm doing less than nothing in the scumhunting department, might as well be drakon lol.

It just takes practice.  You'll get it.

Go back over everything and look for someone who is acting suspicious or seems like they're trying to hide something.  Make note of anything that looks unusual, and ask the person about it.  If you don't like the answer, hound them until you're happy or convinced they are scum.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 30