Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How to get FB without caverns?  (Read 2831 times)

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
How to get FB without caverns?
« on: October 14, 2011, 07:02:40 am »

Is it possible to have FBs without stupid underground grass, plump helmets and underground trees and caverns spanning through 50 z-levels?
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
Re: How to get FB without caverns?
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 07:06:24 am »

Try generating a cavernless world with all of it's history revealed, then check the historical figures and keep scrolling down to see if an FB is on the lists.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 07:08:07 am »

FB's are underground titans so I'm like THIS sure if you remove caverns you won't have FB's either.

You could just up the Titan count though to compensate. They're pretty much the same thing except they appear from above-ground. Don't think that FB generation is any different from Titan creation. Unless they have some bodytypes and/or materials that are exclusive to 'em.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 07:56:51 am »

Titans are more fun, in my opinion. Even despite the less-awesome names.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 08:52:07 am »

FB are tied to caverns, very directly.  Genning a world with no caverns will gen no FB.  Coincidentally, you can't even specify the number of FB in worldgen.  You can determine the number of titans, megabeasts, semi-megabeasts, HFS, and boogeymen, but not FB.

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 09:17:43 am »

Genning a world with no caverns will also disable all underground crops and trees. That means you can't bring plump helmets or towercaps on embark and need to rely on above-ground crops, hunting and fishing to feed your dwarves. Caravans won't bring any either, since they just don't exist in that world... a point to consider when thinking about removing caverns.

Your best way is a worldgen with only one cavern layer and all the distances set to minimum. I use these parameters regularly (mostly for better FPS) and get worlds with the first (and only) cavern at -10z and the magma sea at -20z. If you still want all the layers of stone without annoying holes, you can also set the number of caverns to 1 and just increase the distances.

Titans are very similar to FBs, only above-ground... you may want to try to gen a very small world with a lot of titans and very short history. I don't know if there's an upper limit, but a world with a titan in almost every embark tiles sounds like Fun ;)
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 09:33:55 am »

"a point to consider when thinking about removing caverns." - it is my reason to disable caverns, I hate almighty purple mushrooms, A-wizard-did-it underground grass etc. But I still want FB.
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 09:50:15 am »

"a point to consider when thinking about removing caverns." - it is my reason to disable caverns, I hate almighty purple mushrooms, A-wizard-did-it underground grass etc. But I still want FB.

It's not "A wizard did it" underground grass. It's moss and cave mould. Moss exists in caves, darkness dwelling mold exists.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

moki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 10:23:36 am »

Yep, that's true. It's unrealistic that every cavern has some kind of life forms, but some cave fungus and giant mushrooms? Why not... Since it is a real world based fantasy environment, I guess dwarves, who live mostly underground, could have learned to cultivate some those things. If humans can cultivate some kind of boring grass into crops that make tasty bread and beer, dwarves should be able to make wine and cookies out of shrooms.
And "almighty purple mushrooms"? just don't use them, if you don't like them. Nobody is stopping you from using above-ground crops instead. If you really hate below-ground plants that much, I suggest to have a look at the RAWs and start modding. Removing all underground life should be possible without any major problems. Or post at the modding forum... someone might be able to help you.
But my good sir, the second death was for Dwarven Science!

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 10:26:42 am »

Yep, that's true. It's unrealistic that every cavern has some kind of life forms, but some cave fungus and giant mushrooms? Why not... Since it is a real world based fantasy environment, I guess dwarves, who live mostly underground, could have learned to cultivate some those things. If humans can cultivate some kind of boring grass into crops that make tasty bread and beer, dwarves should be able to make wine and cookies out of shrooms.
And "almighty purple mushrooms"? just don't use them, if you don't like them. Nobody is stopping you from using above-ground crops instead. If you really hate below-ground plants that much, I suggest to have a look at the RAWs and start modding. Removing all underground life should be possible without any major problems. Or post at the modding forum... someone might be able to help you.
Yeah, also Im fairly sure longland grass is wheat.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 10:35:21 am »

Yeah, also Im fairly sure longland grass is wheat.

Longland grass will be based off spelt which has small, tough kernels. It was the intermediate stage between grass and wheat.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 12:08:26 pm »

Errr, you can simply avoid digging to the caverns and then you'll eventually get mountain/swamp/whatever titans attacking you. They tend to be pretty much the same as FB's.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Jaredus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 04:05:02 pm »

I don't know what conditions make it occur, but I've seen some caverns with no moss whatsoever, just completely mud covered and a few bloodthorns, if that would suffice.

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 04:25:53 pm »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94772.0 - posted. Well, I can happily live with magma 50 m under ground, dragons, Saurons, skeleton hens, zombies, necromancers, magic rings, magic mirrors, hell 70 m under ground and dwarven quantum engineering... But drawbridge of doom, danger rooms and underground grass in every single point of my underground city? I strongly dislike "mundane magic" from Harry Potter. (It si my thread, therefore it is not off-topic, right?)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 04:40:18 pm »

I don't know what conditions make it occur, but I've seen some caverns with no moss whatsoever, just completely mud covered and a few bloodthorns, if that would suffice.
That happens if the cavern has no water. Blood thorns are the only subterranean flora that grow in dry caverns.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.
Pages: [1] 2