Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: How I "Cheat" at Dwarf Fortress  (Read 8474 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: How I "Cheat" at Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #15 on: October 13, 2011, 10:42:08 pm »

I tried to turn off invasion at a specific point to rebuild, AND IT DIDN'T WORK!  So I came up with this method.
How did it not work? It won't get rid of anything that's on the map, but it should stop any fresh arrivals.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

AWellTrainedFerret

• Bay Watcher
  • An Axe Knight draws near!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 13, 2011, 10:43:07 pm »

I prefer to make an underground entrance with a flood trap as my new fort's first line of defense. I've perfected getting it set up in the first year, however I have yet to have a success story. I devised this strategy at a time when building destroyers ignored raised bridge walls, but apparently at some point I missed the patch note that said the can destroy them now.
The Axe Knight attacks before you are ready!
The Axe Knight chants the spell of SLEEP!
Thou art asleep.
Pepare'th thine anus.
Axe Knight hath no lube.

Lormax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 14, 2011, 02:32:02 am »

I tried to turn off invasion at a specific point to rebuild, AND IT DIDN'T WORK!  So I came up with this method.
How did it not work? It won't get rid of anything that's on the map, but it should stop any fresh arrivals.

Possibly an ambush still "hidden"

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2011, 02:36:21 am »

Hmm.. the idea looks like an elaborate megaproject which might be doomed to fail.
Dosn't sound very much like cheating to me.

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2011, 06:52:50 am »

Embark on a 1x1 map build walls everywhere, put drawbridges in. done

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2011, 08:05:33 am »

I turned off invasions via lazy newb pack when ii was playing civ forge.  I was still getting invaders.  Could be the mod.  That was my first awesome (non cheat) fortress.  Never found ore, traded for itt for 6 years and survived about 10 sieges w traps and archhers.  But civ forge spams multiple sieges at once.  I might have had ore, it could have been the smelter bug where it doesn't see it if inside a burrow

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2011, 08:14:52 am »

Personally, I find it easier to just channel out the entire first two layers off the surface, so that anything trying to get in has to go through one of my approved entrances. I still keep the floor on z0, of course, to prevent fliers, so I guess you could say I just channel out the second and third layers.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2011, 11:17:15 am »

Tchh! 1x1 would be a puny effort to build walls everywhere. What we need to do is embark on a 16x16 and then build walls everywhere around the embark.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2011, 11:25:04 am »

At any rate.. I go for aestethics, a huge square wall will just look rather ugly.
Is that what yer Dwarves want to be remembered for? Huge ugly chunks all over the world?
Why not huge ugly Dwarvenly faces instead?

MadocComadrin

• Bay Watcher
  • A mysterious laboratory goblin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2011, 11:26:55 am »

Tchh! 1x1 would be a puny effort to build walls everywhere. What we need to do is embark on a 16x16 and then build walls everywhere around the embark.

Not just on the embark: level it to 0z then fill it with walls. Then wall the edges of that, line the top with floors and statues. For a bonus, do all of this in candy.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2011, 11:31:52 am »

Invasions that are en route still make it through before it takes effect. That means you may get a season of invasion before you get the quiet. It's guaranteed to work if you switch it off from the start - again you may need to wait a season or two before you get invasion if you switch it on later on.

But really, your method is a megaproject - something requiring pointlessly large amounts of resources and labour compared to what it achieves. The same effect could be achieved with less than 5 stones. Real "cheating" would be say, making all the invaders drown in the air because they suddenly were defined as aquatic creatures for a few moments.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 14, 2011, 03:48:55 pm »

Everybody has their own definition of cheating. Some think it's not dwarvenly unless your doods have to kill every enemy with their unarmored buttocks.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?
Pages: 1 [2]