Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: The Dwarven Caring Thread  (Read 4647 times)

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
Re: The Dwarven Caring Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2011, 10:24:35 pm »

I care about my dwarves. I may build excessively cruel traps for everybody else, but if one of the little boozebeards gets himself into danger, I do everything I can to save him, no matter if it's a child, Urist McFishcleaner or a legendary armorsmith. Nobles with completely impossible mandates (slade items and such) are the single notable exception.
This is basically how I do things.
I tend to combine the 'caring for my dwarves' and the 'cruel to other things' by training each melee fighter to a decent skill rank on prisoners before sending them to actual combat.

In terms of letting things live, I also have a habit of working hard to capture invading generals/leaders (there are more than a few when you use FD) in cage traps rather than killing them. (Though I am not sure if that is kindness so much as hoarding.)
Soaplent green is goblins!

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2011, 10:29:33 pm »

I dismissed all female dorfs from military duty, even crossbow, because the idiots insisted on taking their vulnerable, tender brats into the Training Chamber of Pokey Pain to be bludgeoned to death by wood spears. But only barely. Anything that dumb deserves some grief, and I have bearded toddlers coming out of my ears.

It might not seem much like caring, but consider that I could just say "it inures them to tragedy - it's a feature!"

HMM...
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Andal

• Bay Watcher
  • Warning! Fourth wall breached!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2011, 10:52:27 pm »

Perhaps you should take a look at my policy:
In DF, i usually follow a policy of "only murder things that impede progress/piss me off".

So... murder all my dwarves?

In all seriousness though, one of my longest lasting fortresses had legendary woodcutter paralyzed from the waist down. This didn't stop him from working though. He'd drag himself out, and chop twice as much wood as anyone else. He also killed a troll or two when slow to retreat inside. He ended up with his own outdoor grove/garden complete with iron fence, pond with centered statue of him, and a completely wooden mausoleum with masterwork wooden coffin. He died of old age, finally. Really liked that fellow.
When I was reorganizing my inventory to fit all by books on life and death into various bags and things, I looked at my inventory and saw that I was multigrasping a necromancer slab.  It was pretty hilarious.
I think that would be an excellent way to impart the critical lessons of life and death to the ignorant masses.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2011, 10:56:33 pm »

Watch-post.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2011, 10:57:01 pm »

I created a bunker, sealed off from the rest of the fortress. Those dwarves all had legendary bedrooms and such; the only work they had to do was plant the occasional field or brew a drink.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 12, 2011, 10:57:19 pm »

If you ever manage to have a dwarf die of old age, you're either doing something very right, or very wrong.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2011, 11:28:45 pm »

I generally find myself feeling bad for those left behind when fodder recruits die, especially early in the fort.  I also get attacked to particularly badass dwarves.  Once, both have been one dwarf. The Duchess of Ironbear (until I get around to HFS breaching the place), Tulon Rhymewheel was one that dwarf.... lover killed in front of her in a stupid, meaningless skirmish with cave fish people.  She went a little ape with her bone crossbow on the cave fish man responsible (but didn't ultimatley get the kill).  I gave her a custom profession and thought I'd heard the last out of her.  An ambush or two later and she has a title, the first I'd ever seen "Tulon Rhymewheel the Spiral of Furnaces".  Then, next I look she's an export-of-bolts banning mayor while we're walled in against chain sieges despite having almost no friends.  Under her reign we finish the traps, open up shop, catch the war-leader of the local goblin civ in a cage, and break the siege, at which point some 12-year-old with a million friends becomes mayor again.  When the mountainhomes make us a barony the following year, I have her promoted, and having had that in mind since her mayoral reign give her duchy-quality accommodations with gold furniture and a tomb bearing records of her triumphs and a memorial of her lover.  The month after she ascends (days, really) is Granite and the dawn of a new age of the world.  Despite the fact she started mandating aluminum we didn't have, I've left her be and done my best to answer what mandates she makes that ARE possible, while frantically searching for any source of aluminum rather than burrowing her at the drawbridge of death or the chambers being carved for magma-forges.  When I finally get around to ending the story of Ironbear that I may tell it, I'm going to do my best to ensure she's one of the survivors that abandons the fort.

Most people would probably have sent her to the lever of magmatic happiness long ago for those aluminum mandates, or laughed at her sorrow at losing her lover far earlier, rather than hoping she cheered up ("come on!  it was a CAVE FISH MAN, what kind of dwarf are you?"), but for me Tulon is a dwarf to protect, nurture and (given her kind of scary track record) keep happy.

I'm pretty soft on my dwarves in general, though, I guess: I use the suspended wall trick to save stupid masons from themselves and get them out when they somehow manage to screw it up, I send out the militia to rescue ambush bait woodcutters, and I don't randomly expose the military to FBs hoping for super soldier syndrome.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 12, 2011, 11:45:12 pm »

A tad off topic, but i love it when Tevish posts. As almost all of the ones I've seen involve some interesting story or another.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2011, 11:51:41 pm »

I only send out woodcutters after a siege; there are not immediate dangers after a wave of gobbos.

I forbid every piece of armour, weapon and discarded good outside. The only thing I take from outside are our fallen comrades, their weapons and armour, and discarded goods of value (such as anvils, booze and seeds.)

I only pit newbies against unarmed goblins and kobolds; once their trained I let them defend sieges and kill FBs with the big boys.

I try to set up valuable kills for important military units. Usually my top 3 guys are named and I try to give them as much glory as I can. I once had a legendary knife user, without danger room training, solo a giant. Popped his head off IN A SINGLE STRIKE. I was so proud.

I never kill nobles. Elfy, I know, but I just plain dislike not having migrants. I do not let irritating nobles into positions of power anyway.

Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 13, 2011, 12:39:51 am »

It was the time of 40d DF, and my first turn (ever) on a succession fortress, was in control for year three on a nearly waterless very hot map.  There was an underground river somewhere on the 5x5, and a few empty pools.  There was a little rain in the spring, but efforts to channel the little water that formed underground so it would stop evaporating failed.  The character I took as my narration's perspective took a lover early that year, the fort's expedition leader.  An ambush around late summer/early fall caused several wounds and a couple of deaths which dropped morale.  I'd never had this problem in my own forts, I'm a trap-heavy very defensive player who avoided "Where's the water" maps in all my earlier games.  As the wounded started to dehydrate to death, tantrums started (another problem I'd never dealt with, as when things went bad in my maps I usually abandoned them instead of trying to play them out) and I really didn't know how to help the dwarves quickly calm down.

I'd accepted that I'd killed the fort, and was playing out (and writing out) the miserable rest of the year, with ever so many dwarves (including my narration-perspective) throwing tantrums and wounding more and more dwarves, when my "giving up" and cancelling most of the labors on the dwarves, as well as setting them to a tiny meeting place in the nicest area of the fort started to calm things down.  And then I noticed that "my" dwarf's lover was mildly wounded, in bed, and thirsty.  He'd been constantly busy for some time holding meetings with disconsolate dwarves, perhaps one finally punched him.

I never saw how he got hurt, or when.  But I knew he was dead if he didnt leave that bed soon, because of the waterless map problem.  The season was now mid fall.  My narration-perspective had -just- stopped tantruming, so she and I threw ourselves into high gear, focused on finding the water (that hidden river somewhere-somewhere! on the map).  Ever dwarf calm enough got drafted to dig a search pattern for the water, and in between bursts of dowsing, minor unhappiness control, writing updates, and searching the forum and wiki for possible answers, well, no successful answers were found.

The bed he lay on was finally deconstructed, in the hopes that he might rise and walk to quench his thirst.  He -did- rise and stay on his feet, after -all- beds were deconstructed.  But he failed to go drink.  He was still the leader, still the one that the many upset dwarves wanted to meet with, and somehow the game trapped him in an endless loop of meeting.  Even when the last dwarf trying to meet with him had ended the meeting and was doing another labor, the leader was still "conducting meeting", all by himself and still not drinking (perhaps he was meeting with himself?  He was very unhappy still).  Nor would he return to a bed, once beds were finally redesignated.  A good chunk of the map had been strip-mined, cut through with a swath of meaningless searching passages, my year was nearing its end, and he died about halfway through the last winter month, still on his feet to his last gasp, still meeting with no one, at least no one I could see.

My narration perspective returned to tantruming with his death, and my last writings were disjointed and rambled, as befit her horror and despair.  I failed to save that dwarf, very true.  But my, did I fumblingly try!
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 12:42:13 am by Imp »
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: October 13, 2011, 12:48:13 am »

So here at Bay 12, and DFers in general, like to kill things. Lots of things. Lots of ways.

But occasionally DF plays it's trump card; something small, something vulnerable. Something that you would normally kill and probably eat, catches your heartstrings and never lets go. You fall in love with a tiny, lowercase letter, and you actively work to save it's little life and if possible, integrate it into your fort.

We all know they happen. Cacame is one case, and looked how he turned out. We have hundreds of threads about dwarves slaughtering thing, we can stand one thread about the nice things.

So, forum, what've you saved lately?

Lol someone's fallen for a kitten.... Here let me help you with my butcher's shop.

Anyways... Well I modded antmen queens to lay eggs (someone said that they did this and in adventure mode millions of them rushed him and things got FUN)... and locked them in a pen where they pumped out A LOT of ant serf babies.
The babies then go into a holding chambre, where gobby snatchers always find their deaths...
And the babies grow up into war antmen.

Before I go TOO off topic, here's what happened.
I saw some migrants, and I saw some giant badgers.
I looked at my many war ants.

Bottom line is, I flooded the screen with flying badger and ant parts, the migrants made it safely home, and the ants were quickly replaced by MOAR BABIEZ.

RenoFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 13, 2011, 09:22:29 am »

I must confess, I have never killed a baby. I put special value to ones who grow up in my fort, and give them a title "Fortressborn". I always put them into military though, because I like the drama of the fortresses most beloved members risking their lives.

I also like wounded and scarred dwarves for their distict features. Even when an armless ex-soldier did stand in the kitchen for a decade yelling nonstop about being too injured to stockpile items.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 13, 2011, 09:36:38 am »

I'm pretty "bad" with this.
-I don't kill migrants just because they're migrant and skillless. I enroll them in meatshield squads, make them haul crap endlessly, or convert them into masons for absurdly dangerous megaprojects, but I always give them a chance.
-Same with kids. I don't treat them worse as the rest, and if they didn't mood in the meanwhile, I also enroll them or convert them to armor/weaponsmiths.
-I'm really not fond of killing cats, especially if they've already adopted someone, so I leave these ones be.
-I generally try and save my dwarves if they weren't victim of their own stupidity. I don't save many dwarves.
-No torture or nasty experiences on my own citizens; I try and treat the whole fort as a functional communist fortress, not a big damn Godwin point. Nasty experiences are for the goblin snatchers that decapitated my legendary smith in one strike.

Nobles, beasts and invaders are fair game. And elves (but for some reason, the rest of the world tends to screw them over before I have the chance to do so myself).
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Stefrist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2011, 10:05:54 am »

Lately I've grown close to my miners, who often miss a leg, or constantly coughing up parts of their longues..
The little beared fellows keep on mining perfectly.

Ironic thing is that I often lose dwarves to opening a magma pipe, but only the ones in good health. The one legged guy never got caught :p

I care for my mangled dwarves!

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 11:14:08 am »

Anyways... Well I modded antmen queens to lay eggs (someone said that they did this and in adventure mode millions of them rushed him and things got FUN)... and locked them in a pen where they pumped out A LOT of ant serf babies.
The babies then go into a holding chambre, where gobby snatchers always find their deaths...
And the babies grow up into war antmen.

could you upload the raws for me? (I suck at modding)

On topic, I always have a soft spot for cats. I always do my best to protect them.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games
Pages: 1 [2] 3