Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me tweak my worldgen file...  (Read 925 times)

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me tweak my worldgen file...
« on: October 12, 2011, 04:48:19 am »

Hello fluffy wamblers, unicorns, and other friendly creatures inhabiting these forums! I am looking for some help generating a world by changing the world_gen.txt file. I've tried using the wiki but don't really understand what I'm doing. My changes usually end up in endless world rejection :(.

I'm after a volcano next to an ocean, preferably in a cold/occasionally freezing climate, high savagery ideal. I've never dealt with aquifers before, but believe I am up to the task, so that shouldn't be a problem. I've genned a few worlds but the volcanoes are either on islands or in the middle of mountain ranges. So my question is, what should I change to ensure more volcanoes, but not saturate the entire continent with them?
Secondly, is the FPS improvement of rolling 2 or 1 cavern over 3 significant?

Thanks very much for all your help!

Worldgen settings:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
Re: Help me tweak my worldgen file...
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2011, 04:52:29 am »

Basically what you want is to whack in a large number of minimum volcanoes. You then set volcano X/Y variance to 3200. You then let it gen. After 100 or so rejections you have the offer to just accept the next generation regardless, potentially making a legends only world, but i have never had this occur. These worlds have flat volcanos, perfectly cylindrical volcanoes, island volcanoes and clusters of surface magma pools meaning i had no open land or ground to work with. It was insane and terrible.

Set mineral scarcity to 100 and give yourself more embark points while your at it. :D
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 04:54:49 am by Wannazzaki »
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2011, 05:00:14 am »

Basically what you want is to whack in a large number of minimum volcanoes. You then set volcano X/Y variance to 3200. You then let it gen. After 100 or so rejections you have the offer to just accept the next generation regardless, potentially making a legends only world, but i have never had this occur. These worlds have flat volcanos, perfectly cylindrical volcanoes, island volcanoes and clusters of surface magma pools meaning i had no open land or ground to work with. It was insane and terrible.

Set mineral scarcity to 100 and give yourself more embark points while your at it. :D

Haha, this is exactly what I don't want! Cylindrical volcanoes have to be the worst part. I just imagine them looking like a giant, obsidian tube worm. Great :P.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2011, 05:02:03 am »

The variance is part of what makes them spawn in absurd places, and its why you make the minimum number greater. Its all about increasing the odds. Anyway that's what i would suggest.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2011, 05:04:56 am »

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2011, 05:14:14 am »

Okay... this is a silly question, I'm sure, but which line exactly should I be altering? I see the minimum volcano number, but which is the x/y variance?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2011, 05:26:06 am »

Do you not have the custom world_gen file that lets you generate with advance perameters within the games world gen function itself?

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2011, 05:32:32 am »

I never thought of using that... I've just been editing the raws directly. I'll have a play. I feel silly :P

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2011, 05:34:28 am »

Just in case you don't have the custom world gen file, myself being not so omniscient, here it is. http://www.megaupload.com/?d=UH8NOOPX

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011, 07:33:09 am »

What exactly does the number of embark points do at World Gen?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011, 07:34:39 am »

Lets you start with more embark points?

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2011, 04:55:40 am »

Lets you start with more embark points?
There are lots of them anyway.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2011, 06:24:16 am »

Change:

[ELEVATION_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
   [RAIN_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
   [DRAINAGE_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
   [SAVAGERY_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]
   [VOLCANISM_RANGES:8256:16512:8256]

to

[ELEVATION_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]

Those parameters control the minimum number of squares for each category that must exist for a world to generate and are responsible for the majority of any rejection. Setting them to zero means that a world will not be rejected because of an inability to place those squares and should drastically cut down on the number of rejections you receive.