Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Out of the common weapon trap components, which is your favorite?

Menacing spike
- 5 (12.8%)
Large, serrated disc
- 29 (74.4%)
Spiked ball
- 3 (7.7%)
Enormous corkscrew
- 1 (2.6%)
Giant axe blade
- 1 (2.6%)

Total Members Voted: 39

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Favorite weapon trap?  (Read 1382 times)

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Favorite weapon trap?
« on: October 11, 2011, 09:22:46 pm »

What weapon trap component is your favorite? I love spiked ball traps, they can be mass-produced from wood and still have an impact in well-equipped sieges. Also, they stab your enemy three times! Can you imagine getting stabbed thirty times?

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Favorite weapon trap?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2011, 09:25:19 pm »

i'd vote if there was an option for "traps are overpowered and i don't use them"

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2011, 09:28:34 pm »

Serrated Discs. Three strikes, and a sharp edge, with the right materials, they can rip just about anything apart.
The only real flaw is the tendency to jam.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

JDF117

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2011, 09:30:50 pm »

i'd vote if there was an option for "traps are overpowered and i don't use them"

If there had been more option slots I would've put that and magma.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2011, 09:45:38 pm »

If there was an option for 'other', I'd put how I build traps out of the weapons of dead invaders. I don't need to melt it into goblinite so I just build more weapon traps in my entrance... granted they are a bit weak but the sheer quantity of essentially free weapons makes it a nice defense.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2011, 09:53:41 pm »

You all know my favorite, but out of the given, I'd say serrated disks.

For a fifteen tile long hallway of them, that's three hits times ten disks each, with fifteen traps total. That's four hundred and fifty slices per gobbo.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

Zona

• Bay Watcher
  • SEE YOU SOON
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2011, 10:06:13 pm »

For a fifteen tile long hallway of them, that's three hits times ten disks each, with fifteen traps total. That's four hundred and fifty slices per gobbo.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

The only problem with them I've found is they also create alot of PARTS FOR THE HAULERS
Those lucky dwarves, despite the risk of being stabbed, shots, poisoned, eaten, mauled, enslaved, eviscerated or involved in accidents... at least they don’t have to worry about immediate dangers like the heat death of the universe.

Particleman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2011, 10:43:19 pm »

I haven't been using weapon traps much lately because I hear there's a bug that causes goblins who survive to gain like a dozen levels of Dodger all at once (and I don't know if it's been fixed yet), but when I did use them I preferred serrated disks, because of the aforementioned "each disk gets three attacks" thing. At the moment, though, I prefer spikes and balls, because I like the mental image of instantly piercing a goblin's skull with surgical precision, then the spike retracts an instant before the skull is smashed into paste.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2011, 10:47:12 pm »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

The only problem with them I've found is they also create alot of PARTS FOR THE HAULERS
Just put them outside and have dwarves not gathering outside refuse.  That just leaves the jamming for our dwarven cuisinarts to worry about.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2011, 11:20:11 pm »

Large Serrated Disks. I've made several Goblin Slaughterhouses, and they work magnificently with almost any material. And I imagine the sound of a thousand buzz saws operating as they go to work.

Lately though I've been favoring water, ice, magma and gravity as trap components.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

geail

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2011, 11:40:41 pm »

For weapon traps, I enjoy Giant Axe Blades.  Yes, they don't get 3 hits like discs but my traps are more for wounding enemies before they get to my military than overall fortress protection.  I need to train my dwarves somehow

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 11:53:06 pm »

Weapon traps filled to the brim with silver warhammers; they're about as deadly as serrated disks but without the fuss. Survivors are either knocked unconscious (and rendered vulnerable to another trap strike) or are crippled beyond repair.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2011, 11:54:03 pm »

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

You're talking to Necro910  :P

ClkWrkJester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2011, 12:11:38 am »

I finally got to see my goblin grinders in action. 3 hits per blade, 10 blades per square, 10 squares in the hallway, with three seperate hallways on the way in so they don't realize its a no-win. The carnage was... impressive.  I've never seen a goblin so completely torn to pieces before.  Overpowered? maybe.

But, to quote the Doctor... immensely satisfying.
Carve out a massive pit and construct a copper block tower! Challenge those goblin bastards with your phallus of justice!

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2011, 12:16:23 am »

Weapon traps filled to the brim with silver warhammers; they're about as deadly as serrated disks but without the fuss. Survivors are either knocked unconscious (and rendered vulnerable to another trap strike) or are crippled beyond repair.

This.

But I usually only put three in each trap. By the time I am done making warhammers for all of my traps my weaponsmith is legendary.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.
Pages: [1] 2