Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: A Fortress Without Metal...  (Read 3206 times)

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
Re: A Fortress Without Metal...
« Reply #30 on: October 12, 2011, 09:10:32 am »

Now for a few questions:   :D

How can I make my dwarves go/stay in the fortress during a siege?

Is there a way to recover from a tantrum spiral?

I looked at my bolts on the Stocks screen and found that some types of bolt were being forbidden seemingly automatically.  Why is this?

Thanks in advance.
1. Create a burrow, and assign all your dwarves to it when danger strikes (I know you can simplify assigning them all to burrows with alerts, but I don't have much experience with them)

2. As other people have said, smooth/engrave all stone walls, make statues, give all your dwarves bedrooms, make some legendary dining rooms/meeting halls (more meeting areas = more parties = happier dwarves), make coffins so that your dead dwarves can be buried (decaying corpses are major bad news for fortress happiness, as are ghosts)

3. Go to the 'o'rders menu, then go to 'F'orbid, and make it so that used ammunition is not automatically forbidden.  I imagine the auto-forbidding of bolts is on by default to prevent dwarves rushing out in the middle of combat every time someone fires a shot (even though they'll do that anyway to collect corpses/dead dwarves' clothes [you can also change this from the same menu]).

Also, ninja'd.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 12, 2011, 09:12:22 am »

Whew, what a story. Seems to happen all too often in this game when you start out.
Anyway, dwarves can be told to stay indoors in one of two ways. One of which (the easier of the two) is to raise a drawbridge or have front doors that are forbidden. The drawbridge has the drawback of having your melee fighters unable to reach the siege, not to mention locking yourself in until the siege passes is pretty boring. The doors are more entertaining because, through careful management, you can get your fighters through and lock them again. This drawback with this is that the doors can be destroyed in later sieges (when goblins bring building destroyers) and that if, somehow, a goblin makes it past the door you, according to the wiki, lose control of the door until a dwarf reclaims it. Generally a combination of the bridge and doors works well for the entrance to the fort
The more difficult, yet much more efficient of the two is the burrowing system. Check the wiki for how to set it up and how it works, but essentially once it's set up you can set an alert in the military menu whenever you want and all dwarves will stay in the burrow. I will caution that dwarves will sometimes path a few paces outside of the burrow, so I tend to cut off the burrow a few spaces short of any drawbridges leading outside to avoid any unfortunate atom-smashing of my civilians. Even though this system takes a while to get used to, and you have to remember to expand the burrow each time you add to your fort, it is definately something that you can set up and fall back on without thinking too much about it, so you don't have to pull levers and lock doors every time something needs to be done.

Tantrum spirals are very difficult to abate. One way I've found is that you can burrow unhappy dwarves in their rooms, assuming their rooms are nice enough. This is a pretty bad idea if you have a ton of masterwork furniture since the crafters might get pissy if the dwarves start tantruming and tearing up their art, but if you lock them in they can't hurt someone else and extend the spiral. Just be sure to let them out when they've calmed down so that they can eat and drink. While I've heard a ton of tricks like this, from making lavish dishes in the kitchen to placing artifact weapons in weapon traps in high traffic areas (to allow the dwarves to admire the fine zinc shortsword or some other such worthless weapons) the only trick I've found to work 90% of the time is simply to let your fort die off and wait for migrants while the last few stark raving mad dwarves run around naked. The migrants always come in a decent mood and as long as you have them haul the corpses and get rid of the miasma they should do fine, and the insane dwarves, as long as they aren't killing themselves or attempting to kill others, tend to survive long enough for a wave to come. The only problem with this is that when you're getting sieged every few seasons 10 legendary soap makers won't help all that much, but it certainly keeps you in the game. I tend to think of it as a reclaim without all of the fuss and monsters lurking about.

Sorry if I repeated anything others have said, three four others posted while I was writing and while I've edited it a little bit I don't want to get overtaken by the wave of helpfulness  :P
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

hjd_uk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2011, 09:13:18 am »

Oooh, bad luck. *snip* ( ninja'd twice)

[edit]

Ill add a note of caution to promoting parties : the more social a dwarf is the more upset they'll be when a good-friend dies, if they only have passing-aquaintances then the tantrum-spiral is less likly to enter a critical chain-reaction. If your Dawrves are idling, there's not enought work going on :) even if its stockpiling rocks next to the mason-shop or getting everyone smoothing stone, Armok makes !!Fun!! for idle hands.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 09:18:14 am by hjd_uk »

Oddysee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2011, 10:57:35 am »

Again, thank you very much for the help, I'm very grateful.  I have another question:

Is there a way to quickly know if I've struck metal ore without knowing the ore names?  Perhaps looking at the Smelter task list and anything that is in white and not red I have?

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2011, 11:08:45 am »

It should say "You have struck X" when you find a vein.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Oddysee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2011, 11:17:02 am »

Indeed it does, but unless the names have the word "ore" in them, I'm probably going to think it's just another stone.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2011, 11:18:26 am »

Just use this for a reference.
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2011, 11:27:17 am »

Indeed it does, but unless the names have the word "ore" in them, I'm probably going to think it's just another stone.

I take it for granted people just know if its an ore or not (Ends in -ite, probably an ore. Theres a few exceptions, galena for example)
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2011, 11:34:04 am »

I take it for granted people just know if its an ore or not (Ends in -ite, probably an ore. Theres a few exceptions, galena for example)
Native Gold...

I THINK IT IS ROCK DERP

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2011, 11:36:44 am »

Alunite, ilmenite, galena, gold, almunimum, native copper and any of the silver ores. :P
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2011, 11:37:08 am »

Native Gold...

I THINK IT IS ROCK DERP

Native Gold...IT THINKS IT LIVED HERE FIRST.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2011, 11:38:27 am »

Native Gold...

I THINK IT IS ROCK DERP

Native Gold...
WE NEED TO MAKE RESERVATIONS FOR IT.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 12, 2011, 11:39:16 am »

Native Gold...

I THINK IT IS ROCK DERP

Native Gold...

I will get the smallpox riddled blankets that i had fed to the plague FB last night.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 12, 2011, 11:41:42 am »

Native Gold...

I THINK IT IS ROCK DERP

Native Gold...

I will get the smallpox riddled blankets that i had fed to the plague FB last night.
We need an advice dog series for this  :P

Native Gold

Give them black plague

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 12, 2011, 11:43:50 am »

Native Gold...

I THINK IT IS ROCK DERP

Native Gold...

We need an advice dog series for this  :P

Native Gold

Give them black plague

Unarmed Elven Traders

Shoot them with dead relatives
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4