Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What happens if...  (Read 1433 times)

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
What happens if...
« on: October 07, 2011, 05:29:13 pm »

What happens if I set Obsidian to its real melting point which is substantially lower than the in-game magma temperature, the lava that forms obsidian is "cold" compared to ... hotter lavas, like basalts.

What will break?  Will the side of my magma pipe melt through?

This thread will have !!science!!
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
Re: What happens if...
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 05:30:29 pm »

Natural terrain and constructions are immune to magma no matter what their melting temperature is set to, so the only effect will be that objects made from obsidian will melt in magma.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2011, 05:31:51 pm »

Disappointing.  Highly so.   :(
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2011, 05:36:27 pm »

Also, should you ever breach the volcano walls, all the little obsidian boulders you may have lying in that tunnel are going to evaporate. (you know, as opposed to being under-magma, which is apparently not as bad.)
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2011, 05:38:54 pm »

Changing the melting point will cause boulders to melt/evaporate when submerged in magma, and any buildings from obsidian or obsidian blocks will be destroyed with magma.  This also means that obsidian floodgates melt, and obsidian farmer's workshop will melt if it happens to be submerged in magma.  Otherwise?  Not much is going to happen.  Walls never melt.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2011, 06:10:35 pm »

Changing the melting point will cause boulders to melt/evaporate when submerged in magma, and any buildings from obsidian or obsidian blocks will be destroyed with magma.  This also means that obsidian floodgates melt, and obsidian farmer's workshop will melt if it happens to be submerged in magma.  Otherwise?  Not much is going to happen.  Walls never melt.
Not yet, at least.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2011, 06:41:28 pm »

I predict much !!FUN!! when walls can finally melt.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2011, 12:46:05 am »

Will obsidian magma forges or magma smelters still work?

...obsidian farmer's workshop will melt if it happens to be submerged in magma.

You have... personal experience?

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2011, 12:56:37 am »

Magma forges/smelters are not submerged in magma, they only need something fireproof, not magma-proof.

And yeah, I kinda figured "if I can grow badass mushrooms by irrigating with water, just think what I can grow in magma!"  Now I'm curious, how would I need to mod a plant of creature to grow only in magma...

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2011, 01:22:42 am »

Well, you may need to mod in some sort of magma mud, but that may be hard-coded...
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2011, 01:52:07 am »

I've seen muddy magma in hell, but that doesn't count..
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2011, 10:35:14 am »

Magma forges/smelters are not submerged in magma, they only need something fireproof, not magma-proof.

And yeah, I kinda figured "if I can grow badass mushrooms by irrigating with water, just think what I can grow in magma!"  Now I'm curious, how would I need to mod a plant of creature to grow only in magma...

And once Magma-Trees are in vogue the new way to seal off spires for access is to surface clear magma and let the trees grow in to keep out more magma. 

And then you need to mod in Magma-Dugong to eat the Magma-shrubs and Magma-grass.  And possibly make Magma crabs tameable with a grazer rating as well.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2011, 11:15:33 am »

Actually, I believe you could mod a creature or a plant to have a heatdamage to cold, but the animals won't care and will freely wander out of the heat and die unless you force them.  Considering how cages work, it should be possible to request this creature from a caravan, construct the cage by your magma cistern, and then dump the creature in.  Cages tend to work in cagespace, as it were...  That could make for some interesting breeding setups, and if it worked you could justify fuel from the creatures - butcher them and their bodies retain enough heat that their organs can be used to fuel a furnace/forge.  Hmm...

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2011, 11:21:12 am »

I recall a bugged world also havin muddy eerie glowing pits.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2011, 12:41:09 am »

I recall a bugged world also havin muddy eerie glowing pits.
That would be from the same thread, that world is wack man.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: [1] 2