Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Somewhat odd but...  (Read 976 times)

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Somewhat odd but...
« on: October 04, 2011, 09:30:14 pm »

Are there any other players that actually dislike finding embarks that are completely rich in iron (according to prospector anyway)? I mean, I have nothing against iron, but when iron is the second best, non possibly FUN inducing metal, available... it kind of feels like I skip to the end of a tech tree or something. It makes me wonder why humans in DF are in the bronze age, when the world seems to just crap out iron everywhere.

I've been really trying to find an embark with a good source of copper and tin, but I can usually just find copper. That way I have to kind of trade for iron, or maybe it's on the embark but just really rare... or really deep, which would kinda stop me from having easy access to it.

Eh. Just a minor little... thing. Anyone else have little quirks like that? I swear I've been dumping so many embarks lately just because the metals don't suit me. I only run around 900 scarcity, since I don't like there being TOO much - usually because it's useless crap, or it causes me to have a lot of metals but in smaller quantities. Somehow the higher numbers tends to give me more concentrated findings - when I find them.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
Re: Somewhat odd but...
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2011, 09:55:27 pm »

My last couple embarks=Clay and sand, as far as the eye can see.
 I don't mind iron, or any metal for that matter, at all.

Know what embarks i like best? The ones i manage to survive for more than five years.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:57:46 pm »

My last couple embarks=Clay and sand, as far as the eye can see.
 I don't mind iron, or any metal for that matter, at all.

Know what embarks i like best? The ones i manage to survive for more than five years.

That is a good goal. Mine usually make three. Usually because I get bored with them, or some early design layout annoys me and I start over due to the sheer amount of time involved in tearing down an aboveground structure (if you don't want to risk people being smashed by it falling on top of them.

Somewhat random but, for biomes, when you're trying to get multiple in one embark area... does it matter if the same region crops up twice? Like if you had two Forests of Joy and a Plain of Agony. Will the two Forests of Joy, since they're the same "region", share the same layout in terms of metals and stuff? I try to aim for 3, if I can, and usually that involves a double. I just don't know if that means a different layout, or just a reinforce of the original or something.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 10:06:53 pm »

I know what you mean.  I rarely have embarks where iron is present but not abundant.  I like being able to eventually upgrade to steel without having to import a ton of stuff, but when iron is found just under the soil layer, and in huge quantities...it takes some of the challenge away.  Maybe you should increase scarcity, I usually run at 1600, might start playing with higher...

What really bothers me is the lack of tin.  Every time I find cassiterite, I already have steel production in full swing, and there is no point in bothering to make bronze.  That, or I have copper coming out of everywhere, but no tin and no iron.  I never get that sense of progression.  It's always straight from copper to steel.

Once I had a fort with no metals whatsoever, save for galena.  I was still learning to play, and didn't know about using silver for super hammers.  That fort survived on mounds and mounds of bone bolts.

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 10:08:57 pm »

I wish my forts lasted long enough for me to get bored of them. Mine usually succumb to some tragic and gruesome fate or another...

As for biomes, if they're two seperate ones, i would assume they're separate for a reason, having at least some difference from one another. But i haven't tested nor payed attention to these things, so i can't say for certain.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 10:16:25 pm »

I know what you mean.  I rarely have embarks where iron is present but not abundant.  I like being able to eventually upgrade to steel without having to import a ton of stuff, but when iron is found just under the soil layer, and in huge quantities...it takes some of the challenge away.  Maybe you should increase scarcity, I usually run at 1600, might start playing with higher...

What really bothers me is the lack of tin.  Every time I find cassiterite, I already have steel production in full swing, and there is no point in bothering to make bronze.  That, or I have copper coming out of everywhere, but no tin and no iron.  I never get that sense of progression.  It's always straight from copper to steel.

Once I had a fort with no metals whatsoever, save for galena.  I was still learning to play, and didn't know about using silver for super hammers.  That fort survived on mounds and mounds of bone bolts.

Ah a like-minded individual! Yes, I try to strive for some feeling of progression. I just hate "skipping" to the end, if I have surface iron, what's the point in using that tin that is deep down? May as well get some flux and go right to the steel. Although a big problem I have is I just hate using trees for charcoal when I have no fuel or magma - though I have recently tweaked my mod to have a building that gives 2, and sometimes 3, charcoal per tree so this should fix my reliance on magma.

Actually, on the topic of modding, the tough part I have is not just throwing in crazy reactions to suit my needs. I do hope one day to release it, so I need to stop tweaking it to suit my own playstyle all the time... /offtopic

Come on Armok, give me some copper and tin! If you want to give me iron, stick it below the second or third cavern, or something. Heck, put it on the surface but keep it in very small veins or something.

melphel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 10:40:04 pm »

I tend to not make any metal products until I reach magma.  Unless I have lignite or coal available, making fuel is too much of a hassle.  Sending dwarves out to the surface/caverns to cut and collect wood is often too dangerous and time consuming, and by the time I set up tree farms, I have magma anyway.  That and I like playing in biomes where there aren't many trees.

You know what I really can't stand?
Caverns overlapping each other.  Where there is no where on the map to just dig straight down and set up a pump stack.  You have to dig around all the caverns to get to the magma sea, or break into them and start walling and flooring in the cavern to make the stack safe.  I feel so relieved when I find one central pillar in all three caverns that I can just hollow out.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 11:47:57 pm »

I tend to not make any metal products until I reach magma.  Unless I have lignite or coal available, making fuel is too much of a hassle.  Sending dwarves out to the surface/caverns to cut and collect wood is often too dangerous and time consuming, and by the time I set up tree farms, I have magma anyway.  That and I like playing in biomes where there aren't many trees.

You know what I really can't stand?
Caverns overlapping each other.  Where there is no where on the map to just dig straight down and set up a pump stack.  You have to dig around all the caverns to get to the magma sea, or break into them and start walling and flooring in the cavern to make the stack safe.  I feel so relieved when I find one central pillar in all three caverns that I can just hollow out.

I don't like relying on trees for fuel either but, I don't like tunneling down for the sake of magma.
Mainly because I tend to hit a cavern, and that leads to all sorts of fun. Secondly, I have not ever tried using pumpstacks.

I wonder if Kaolnite counts as "metal" or "clay" or if there is anyway to tell if you have it at all without prospecting...

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2011, 12:02:08 am »

Any mineral counts as a "metal" I believe. I'm not sure what the game means by "metals" on the embark screen; it could mean any mineral, or it might just mean ore. From experience, however, the former is more likely.
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)