Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Destined for DF  (Read 2754 times)

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Re: Destined for DF
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2011, 10:46:03 pm »

I try to keep my fort well-run, and horribly torture be hospitable to the goblins.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Russell.s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2011, 11:00:26 pm »

I'm so caring for my dwarfs it's positively frustrating at times. Recently there was a cave-in issue with my latest fort and a poor animal caretaker had his lower spine broken. Unable to fix it, and unable to save scum cause I promised myself not to, I built the poor bugger a giant bedroom next to the dining room and made a heap of gold statues, promptly bringing on a siege...

The only option was starting the entire fort again :/

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2011, 06:46:37 am »

I used to fill my Sims' houses with rugs, remove the doors and set off fireworks.
[Signature]

Melissia

• Bay Watcher
  • Confused noob having lots of fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2011, 06:49:44 am »

I've always strived to provide the best for my dwarves.

But they seem to have other ideas.
"If a job is worth doing, it's worth dying for."
-- Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2011, 07:01:10 am »

I used to fill my Sims' houses with rugs, remove the doors and set off fireworks.

This wasn't on Sims3 btw:

My cousin ( and I think even another cousin ) once made an entire complex devoted to torturing my sims, using starvation, immense fatigue, and general unhappiness.  Using cheats, he got a bunch of stuff, like a gigantic hamsterwheel, to work them to death.  Unfortunately, it took so long, that he just locked them in a room completely filled with ovens.

My other cousin made a nice, pink complex, but made an outhouse sized...thing, and had a woman sim, stay there.  Absolutely nothing, just standing there, slowly eroding into dust, urine, and tears. 

I'm really not sure which one of those two is more sadistic.  For me, I don't actually like killing my sims, I don't view them as a family to control and crush, like a god, mostly because I never had a family, only a single character, whom I would kinda roleplay. 

We need a Sims discussion thread. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2011, 07:31:39 am »

This wasn't on Sims3 btw:

My cousin ( and I think even another cousin ) once made an entire complex devoted to torturing my sims, using starvation, immense fatigue, and general unhappiness.  Using cheats, he got a bunch of stuff, like a gigantic hamsterwheel, to work them to death.  Unfortunately, it took so long, that he just locked them in a room completely filled with ovens.

My other cousin made a nice, pink complex, but made an outhouse sized...thing, and had a woman sim, stay there.  Absolutely nothing, just standing there, slowly eroding into dust, urine, and tears. 

I'm really not sure which one of those two is more sadistic.  For me, I don't actually like killing my sims, I don't view them as a family to control and crush, like a god, mostly because I never had a family, only a single character, whom I would kinda roleplay. 

We need a Sims discussion thread.

Link me to one if you find it. I always enjoyed trying to turn "myself" into "the most interesting sim in the world", which involved many, many failures...

One of my favorite things to do was to build a floating house using and then removing pillars, and keeps mah dudes there forever. Alone.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2011, 09:28:15 am »

I'll make one

Fake edit: Here it is.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=94293.0

Discuss, and sorry for the derail. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2011, 09:53:11 am »

I treat both my dwarfs and my Sims with the utmost respect and care. Though my Sims do end up boneing nearly every living being they could get their... lets go with hands... on.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2011, 11:10:38 am »

I treat both my dwarfs and my Sims with the utmost respect and care. Though my Sims do end up boneing nearly every living being they could get their... lets go with hands... on.
In adventure mode, we take this literally.

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2011, 11:12:13 am »

We can't do THAT in adventure mode, not exactly, it's only possible with our-

Oh, I see what you're getting at. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2011, 11:31:00 am »

In adventure mode, we take this literally.
You use a bone? I use my adventurer's own severed arm.

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2011, 11:46:18 am »

I'm so caring for my dwarfs it's positively frustrating at times. Recently there was a cave-in issue with my latest fort and a poor animal caretaker had his lower spine broken. Unable to fix it, and unable to save scum cause I promised myself not to, I built the poor bugger a giant bedroom next to the dining room and made a heap of gold statues, promptly bringing on a siege...

The only option was starting the entire fort again :/ giving all of his friends gold statues before giving him a magma bath.

Fixed that for you.

I used to have the same perspective, I wanted to see how long I could keep a fort before I had a casualty. Now I expect to have a casualty or two each season. Of course I keep all of my legendary craftsdwarves safely burrowed in their happy making work/drink/eat/sleep compounds.
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2011, 12:00:51 pm »

Spoiler: kindhearted stuff (click to show/hide)
Well, you know I used to feel similar way not a long ago, I was striving to not let anyone die, to get them best stuff ever, I was dumping hammerers weapon back in 40d, I was even able to savescum if I felt guilty for some really stupid death. I thought I would ever become like Sancis and the other guy, who tried to built a gecko outside Boatmurdered when shit got loose. That was before a dozen of forts meeting their fps death. Then, I began crushing unwanted migrants with drawbridge.... Now look at me, I have a kid going bersek in a care center, and I mechanic who punched some jeweler skull in, but that's fine because that was crappy jeweler and this is almost legendary mechanic, and I don't even twitch an eye when I lose several dwarves trying to capture live FB. Look at me and get used to thought that this is what awaits you ahead.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 12:04:45 pm by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2011, 12:20:31 pm »

Interestingly, my feelings and reactions to this seem to vary considerably.

In other games, sometimes I like to torture the player character.  In Mario 64 for example, I would spend hours finding the highest places I could launch Mario from to see what would happen when he impacted on the ground.  In Mario Sunshine, there wasn't much that was funnier than stepping in lava.  In Ocarina of Time, I'd do similar things to Link because his screams were just so dang epic.

I don't like to harm innocents in these games though, even if it's all for fun.  I can barely make myself do something like shoot an innocent bystander in Deus Ex, or even attack (non hostile) wildlife in a game like Everquest.  It just doesn't sit right with me, even if the results can be a bit funny and I'm planning on savescumming after the fact.

Dwarf Fortress is strange in this respect.  I found it hilarious when my armor smith had a failed mood, snapped and bit the feet off of a nearby wolf pup before a peasant walked by and kicked her skull in.  On the other hand, when I lost a single soldier in a siege, I actually felt bad.  Like I let my people down.  Like there was something I could have done to prevent her from getting a sword jabbed through her head, causing her to suffocate.

In general I play Dwarf Fortress with the intention of doing everything I can for my dwarves.  They all get their own bedrooms, have a nice decor, are protected from the foul goblins, and so on.  Only when they have failed moods do they get unhappy and cause trouble.  And I find that funny, whereas a dwarf getting killed in combat is a tragedy.  I wonder why that is...

It doesn't help that I'm planning on setting up my first magma pump stack soon.  And if half of my fortress melts from !!fun!!, well, that is probably going to be funny.  Odd, that.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2011, 12:56:04 pm »

My destiny for DF is a combination for Megaprojects, a bit of masochism (taking on tough challenges regularly, cherry tap enemies, or find outlandish ways to make the game(s) I play more ‼fun‼), and a bit of sadism (I generally find outlandish ways to take on tasks, or the most bizarre method of offing my target(s), etc.).

With Sim(s) games, I have done megaprojects starting with 0 funds whatsoever (FamilyFunds cheat in Sims 3 makes this task easier), and evolving from a blank lot to a lavish mansion in a playthrough. Similar challenges also include starting off in a trailer home, and going to the same levels (breaking the bank to start). Other megaprojects was also taking some designs I had, and seeing if they could be built as homes in-game. They actually worked better than I thought.

Regarding masochism, there's a standard gaming rule where my family is concerned where "There's no such mode as 'Easy'". in other words, minimum difficulty is always Normal or Hard, never Easy. Also, I think I started playing games like XCOM, Starcon, Civilization, or Master of Orion as early as 6 years old. Naturally, I was the first to die, but considering how intuitive I was, I learned damn fast, and actually eventually became a threat after maybe a month or 2 of playing. Especially relevant when Civ went multiplayer, along with MOO2. The aliens in XCOM even started to crap themselves once I got hold of their tech. Prison escape custom scenarios in games were a good exercise of critical thinking as well (especially if they were well made). The Escape From the Room style games were also quite fun to stretch my brain through once in awhile.

And with sadism, well, Garry's Mod is one platform to consider. Nothing is funnier than watching a flock of chickens take down a T-Rex in seconds. The Sims, I've setup situations that make the Saw movies look like dark comedies (and sometimes, I'm actually impressed at the AI, and give them a sweet place if they solve a puzzle; especially in a way that I didn't even see). I've also set off rockets indoors to set a house ablaze. That was always fun. GTA was also fun when it came to finding creative methods of Car Fu. I find it crazy and awesome to somehow take down a target by literally cartwheeling your car on top of them, turning them into a hood ornament, and still being able to drive away. GTA:SA, whenever any client (that has their car parked out front of their place) is involved. I steal their car and thrash it before the mission, or I almost literally fly my car into their lot and have it explode just as I get briefed on the next mission. And of course, we can't help but to consider my favorite way of dealing with certain hackers in Uplink or similar hacking games. Break their bank, get them arrested, and then modify their social security to mark them as 'Deceased'. And that's also immediately after bankrupting their company as well. With Fallout 3, I love the Dart Gun; Simply put.

And for more ideas as to just how well I can fit in. Check out how many entries I added to this list. Most of them, I've done in a (non-)RPG games (tabletop or video), and other times, things I (would) have done in a genre no matter what, and plenty others are hypotheticals had I the opportunity. For a previously self-proclaimed nice guy; I can send myself orbiting in and out the moral event horizon, and still at least be considered pretty affable or nice in public (though other times, a complete monster in the background). Makes me worry about myself sometimes even. But hey, at least I don't actually put my cruelty to action in reality, unless I really need to scare someone straight; and even so, I still take the most merciful or kindest path. Mostly just in case God (as well as the afterlife realms like Heaven, Hell, and Purgatory) really does exist. I think the Devil would even be legitamately scared of me with just how insane I can get. I prefer the term Crazy Awesome however.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2011, 01:08:09 pm by Itnetlolor »
Pages: 1 [2] 3