Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: all trade and no siege makes urist a dull boy  (Read 842 times)

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
all trade and no siege makes urist a dull boy
« on: October 03, 2011, 05:03:16 pm »

recently, just to try it out, i made goblins friendly with dwarves, then modded in some pack animals for them. trading was good, they would come every season since i forgot to edit out the [ACTIVE_SEASON] tag, but i didnt mind. a few weak ambuses from kobolds later made me decide that it wasnt worth it. should i get myself the fortress defense mod to break this tedium?
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
Re: all trade and no siege makes urist a dull boy
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 05:05:14 pm »

It would certainly be a pendulum swing in the other direction. I only just started using it, and though I was a little disappointed that my dog horde scared off the pack of stranglers that showed up in the first winter, I'm sure I'll be thankful for it in the future...
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2011, 05:34:29 pm »

It would certainly be a pendulum swing in the other direction. I only just started using it, and though I was a little disappointed that my dog horde scared off the pack of stranglers that showed up in the first winter, I'm sure I'll be thankful for it in the future...
good, thats what im looking for. im enjoying my goblin caravans too much to make them hostile again (read: lazy), but i actually want to utilize my army i train year round. not gonna bother with the HFS for now
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2011, 05:44:03 pm »

You could also gen a world with capped titans and absurdly low requirements for attracting their attention, resulting in constant megabeast 'sieges'.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2011, 06:46:25 pm »

I find Genesis mod is pretty fun too. The numerous added races really adds a lot of potential siegers, resulting in a lot of more fun. It really depends on your playstyle though, since breaching the caverns really quickly, and digging deep can unleash a lot of fun cavern monsters and Forgotten Beasts.

Or yes, make titans show up as soon as dorfy-ly possible.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2011, 06:49:51 pm »

You could also gen a world with capped titans and absurdly low requirements for attracting their attention, resulting in constant megabeast 'sieges'.
megabeasts never give me problems. my well armed and well trained millitary always hacks them to pieces. it usually goes like:
"(random megabeast) has appeared!" then my commander walks up to it and kills it like its nothing

Eddren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2011, 06:54:16 pm »

I find Genesis mod is pretty fun too. The numerous added races really adds a lot of potential siegers, resulting in a lot of more fun. It really depends on your playstyle though, since breaching the caverns really quickly, and digging deep can unleash a lot of fun cavern monsters and Forgotten Beasts.

Or yes, make titans show up as soon as dorfy-ly possible.
I get murdered every year by Beastmen(I like using Halberds, so my Dwarves aren't all that great with their weapons before the Sieges,) so I designed something new for me.
My Fortress is completely weaponized. Anything that steps in there, shall do it with the full knowledge that they are about to die. And it won't be slow; it won't be painless, it'll be slow, agonizing death. Those siegers will have to continue on as their brethren fall to trap upon trap; gallons of water, falling on their heads. Hallways, trapping them in and flooding with Magma. And when finally, they reach their destination, twenty angry, drunken Dwarves with Halberds.
Ah, my dwarven heart beats with fierce pride for this.  I can't take it anymore!  I have to go do something profound.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2011, 06:54:55 pm »

Clearly, your megas need more deadly dust/poisonous blood/noxious vapors or secretions
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2011, 06:57:26 pm »

Clearly, your megas need more deadly dust/poisonous blood/noxious vapors or secretions
clearly :(

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2011, 08:21:18 pm »

Play the Fortress Defence Mod. You won't regret it!

FUN FUN FUN
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns