Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15

Author Topic: Your nerdy bragging rights  (Read 13373 times)

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
Re: Your nerdy bragging rights
« Reply #195 on: April 05, 2012, 09:50:46 pm »

*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 07, 2012, 05:36:09 pm »

I got a tour of the David Florida Space Laboratory (where they build satellites) as a result of talking to some guy while waiting for the library to open. I recommended a book series for his kid.

The 2 mile walk through slush with holey shoes to get the the nearest bus stop and the subsequent 10 hours of wet, cold feet were not as fun though.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Count Crosby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 10, 2012, 10:23:36 am »

My nerdiest achievement to date is probably me recently doing well enough in the Intermediate Mathematical Challenge to get into the Intermediate Mathematical Olympiad, to do the Maclaurin (the hardest) paper. I'm still waiting for the result from the Maclaurin paper, not to hopeful though :(    I'm happy that i got into the Maclaurin though, as you had to get in the top 500 in the entire of the UK.

I've also designed my own tabletop rpgs, most notably one based on the villains of Gotham city, using aspects from the 1st edition Warhammer fantasy roleplay system.

I also obviously collect Warhammer, both 40k and Fantasy of-course. With a 10,000 point Chaos Space Marine army including a forge-world brass scorpion, a converted shadowsword and several other converted models. And a 3,000 point vampire counts army for fantasy. I kinda regret how much I've spent on this stuff (the brass scorpion cost £140 alone) as i still can't go toe to toe with my friends 15,000 point imperial guard army (including a scratch built warlord titan and an entire Leman Russ tank company and around 500 individual gaurdsmen) and his Dad's 20,000 point space marine army (including around 100 terminators).

I also do a bit of over-clocking with my pc currently running my i5 2500k at just over 4ghz.

I started playing the original age of empires when I was 3 and by the age of 5 could beat the AI on hard difficulty as well as my father occasional.

I also have a library of about 400 physical books, as well as many times that number of ebooks.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:42:12 am by Count Crosby »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 10, 2012, 10:45:23 am »

Hoo boy, if we're talking books... I've got something in the range of 1500-2000 books, to the point where any place I live in for a substantial period of time is eventually filled with stacks up to around waist-height because I have far too few shelves and non-floor flat surfaces. If I had the cash to buy every book I wanted and a source that could provide stuff that is out of print, I don't even want to think about the consequences.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Count Crosby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: April 10, 2012, 10:55:39 am »

Hoo boy, if we're talking books... I've got something in the range of 1500-2000 books, to the point where any place I live in for a substantial period of time is eventually filled with stacks up to around waist-height because I have far too few shelves and non-floor flat surfaces. If I had the cash to buy every book I wanted and a source that could provide stuff that is out of print, I don't even want to think about the consequences.
The thing is I'm 16, and I've read more books than most people read in their lifetime (just checked and I have 1,056 e-books). Also if you don't have enough money for all the reading material you want there are plenty of e-books available for free and some of the stories on Wattpad are decent, even if the website is largely dominated by disgusting Twilight-esque "vampire" books.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 10, 2012, 11:10:55 am »

Logged probably about 300 days played on WoW. I've read everything Tolkein (some with the help of his son) wrote about Middle Earth three times over. And right now I'm applying for a position under a well cited psychiatrist in a research lab. Hopefully all goes well.

I've considered tabletop rpgs, but I never seem to be able to meet the right people for it at my university. It has good science and art programs, but I'm not so sure about anything to do with computers. It's a crying shame too, it seems like it could be a load of fun, despite being incredibly nerdy.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 10, 2012, 11:21:00 am »

The thing is I'm 16, and I've read more books than most people read in their lifetime (just checked and I have 1,056 e-books). Also if you don't have enough money for all the reading material you want there are plenty of e-books available for free and some of the stories on Wattpad are decent, even if the website is largely dominated by disgusting Twilight-esque "vampire" books.
E-readers just don't feel right to me; it isn't even simply an issue with screens doing a better job of killing my eyesight. The tactile sensation of holding a book and turning pages just feels... right. At this point, too, the issue is often less "I can't afford this because I get paid near minimum wage and need to pay tuition." and more "This is no longer in print." or "Gah, why is the speculative fiction section so tiny? And why is it full of shitty supernatural romance and zombie bandwagoning? Why the hell is there less than a foot of shelf space devoted to Asimov?". For example, I would honestly be surprised if the Lensman trilogy was available at all as e-books, much less for free, and (to my knowledge) it is no longer in print, so I go digging through used bookstores (which, incidentally, are still the best place to find books, if you don't mind suspicious stains/smells).

3. Run Resize Enable

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #202 on: April 10, 2012, 01:36:35 pm »

Oh man, I am so jealous of you you don't even know. It totally doesn't count as a debilitating addiction if it's books! I probably spend as much on books a month as I do on groceries.

Of course, I like to move around a lot, I can't even imagine what having 2000 books would be like in that situation. Books are one of the hardest things to pack well. It's like the heaviest puzzle in the universe.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: April 10, 2012, 01:41:11 pm »

Oh man, I am so jealous of you you don't even know. It totally doesn't count as a debilitating addiction if it's books! I probably spend as much on books a month as I do on groceries.

Of course, I like to move around a lot, I can't even imagine what having 2000 books would be like in that situation. Books are one of the hardest things to pack well. It's like the heaviest puzzle in the universe.

Hah, yes. It's like Tetris, except you get nothing but s-blocks and you have to hold the television in one hand while you play with the other.

3. Run Resize Enable

DarkWolfXV

• Bay Watcher
  • Infernally rotten to the gore.
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: April 10, 2012, 01:44:39 pm »

Im interested in anatomical pathology.
Goats will ignore your grass and eat the neighbours' roses. They're just evil bastards like that.
Probably thats why they are used with pentagrams on covers of Satanic Black Metal albums.
BURNING SHIT AND EATING ROOSESSSSSS DDOFOFAOAARRRAHYYYE

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: April 10, 2012, 08:27:31 pm »

Holy shit, books.

I'm sort of limited in my book habits, because my parents give me $10 a week for allowance, of which maybe 80% goes to the damn things, and then anything else I have to ask for for Christmas or my birthday. My father's a history teacher and has a history library- plus a bunch of classic literature- to rival any of his colleagues- maybe a good 1000 books? My mother just mooches off our collective libraries. Even at that, I have 3 bookshelves, which are desperately inadequate, and probably a good 250 books that are in my "real" (ie not inherited from childhood) library. Again, this is limited only by my pitifully small income.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: April 10, 2012, 08:37:59 pm »

My nerd credentials (the following items may or may not count as "nerdy"):

I own around 300 books, many of them sci-fi of varying hardness, but also some programming and theoretical physics
I'm currently listening to pirate-themed hard rock music
I was a founding member of a writing club, and served two terms as President
--was also President of a french club
I knew about the Pokemon game before the anime
I have introduced several friends to Dwarf Fortress, Warhammer 40k, and Nethack
I discovered TV-Tropes and the SCP Foundation without being linked to either by someone I knew
I went to a national competition for the programming division
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: April 14, 2012, 06:25:18 pm »

Oh forgot about this. I taught myself how to use Excel, by making an Excel sheet for Monopoly. It'll even do things like adjust rent for monopolies, & houses. It pretty useful for keeping track of how well a property is doing compared with income recieved and expense on expansion.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Yannanth

« Reply #208 on: April 14, 2012, 06:28:17 pm »

« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 05:55:31 pm by Yannanth »

Araph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: April 15, 2012, 12:18:23 am »

I play Dwarf Fortress.

But since everyone else here does too, I'd better list something else.

Spoiler:  My Credentials (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15