Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Iron Grip: Marauders, Now Released on Steam  (Read 1459 times)

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
Iron Grip: Marauders, Now Released on Steam
« on: October 01, 2011, 09:08:38 pm »

So, I saw that this game was coming soon to Steam, and seeing some of the gameplay really intrigued me to play it. You pretty much play in a steampunk tactical turn-based strategy game, but now that it is released I saw this yesterday and downloaded it(It was actually pretty quick; took just 1min to DL) and I'm loving it.

There's really nothing much else I can say about this game, except that you get some pretty cool(and decent, non-OP'd) heroes, units, etc. You can also so smuggling missions, research new stuff, build some pretty cool units which actually have designs that I like.

You can check out the game here.(Yes, the game is FREE.)

So, if I were to put it in a list, it's:
-Steampunk
-Pirates, pirates and more pirates on an Airship
-Turn-based strategy
-You look for stuff to do in a Gentleman's Club
-Raid, smuggle and do missions
-No heavy grinding
-You have to earn everything(Which is a good thing in this game if you're good at strategy-type stuff)
-PvP soon to implemented(I believe next month)
-Awesome vehicle/infantry models
-Wallet Warriors never OP'd
-Smart as Hell AI

So, does anyone else play it?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 09:29:57 pm by hitty40 »
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
Re: Iron Grip: Marauders, Now Released on Steam
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 09:15:43 pm »

I kinda reminds me of computer Wh40k from the screens
Thank you based dwarf.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 09:18:57 pm »

I kinda reminds me of computer Wh40k from the screens

Hmm, that reminds me. I need to put some SS up so it might attract more people.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 09:28:51 pm »

You should also mention that it's currently free.

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 09:52:01 pm »

Okay, yea it is kinda neat-o,
If PvP gets added this has my attention.
Thank you based dwarf.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 09:56:07 pm »

Okay, yea it is kinda neat-o,
If PvP gets added this has my attention.

Well, apparently it was added, but was removed for some strange reason. Maybe people learned how to glitch it out or something.

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 10:12:21 pm »

You forgot to mention how it's an MMO.  :-\
Do not want.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 10:21:51 pm »

Like all free to play games, this one makes you wait around a lot(unless you pay them money).  I played it for a few hours and got sick of it pretty fast.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

SeaBee

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolves are atheists
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2011, 10:49:33 pm »

I was close to giving it a try, but reading that you can only do a few things a day made me lost interest. Shame. Looks neat on the Steam page, but I don't want to have to pay money to do more than one thing a day or whatever.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2011, 10:56:34 pm »

I was close to giving it a try, but reading that you can only do a few things a day made me lost interest. Shame. Looks neat on the Steam page, but I don't want to have to pay money to do more than one thing a day or whatever.
Ditto. Mouse was poised over the INSTALL Button then I thought, hmm better read what those that have tried it think...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2011, 10:56:49 pm »

Not really. If you level up and such, your energy if competely refilled. Useful when you have just ran out.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 03:17:54 pm »

So how does that "energy" thing work? Is it an Urban Dead style game time curfew? That can be made more lenient by throwing money at it?
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 03:25:02 pm »

Yeah, I've been playing this a bit for the last few days. It's actually a rather pleasant game, as long as you don't try playing compulsively.
The main game element, meaning the battles, is very old-school, kinda like Final Liberation or Spellcross, if simpler. The graphics design is nice, and it's fun to play a battle or two every now and then. There's a bunch of story-driven quests to follow, and randomly generated missions that unfortunately end up feeling repetitive and grind'y soon. The missions(those I've played so far) are kinda easy too, unless you're doing really reckless or stupid things.
As far as I can tell, it's not really an MMO in the regular meaning of the word - the only way to interact with other player that I'm aware of, is to invite them to fight a battle for you during the special "boss battle" events. Basically, there's a few battles that have to be won by different people before you can fight the final one and get the goodies. In this respect, it's very similar to e.g.Echo Bazaar. Perhaps once the PvP gets reinstated it'll get more multiplayer'y(and fun).
There is no need to buy the tokens(called "gems") at all, unless you're one of those compulsive players that just have to play constantly. Otherwise you'll be fine with what you occasionally earn.
The action limit is not bad either - you get one action per hour up to 24, a regular randomly-generated mission takes up 4 actions and about 30 mins to finish. The story quests take as much as 8 actions, but provide large Exp bonuses for completion. Once you reach the next Exp level you get your actions pool refilled. Generally, you can expect to play a few hours per day, and if you need more than that then perhaps you should consider going out more.

All in all a nice timewaster for people who like steampunk and turn-based tactics.

You can find me in game as IlPalazzo.

Asehujiko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2011, 11:18:04 am »

So it's a gametime curfew then. Not interested.
Code: [Select]
Tremble, mortal, and despair! Doom has come to this world!
.....EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EE.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E.EE.EE.E.EE.
......E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE...E.EEE.
.☺..EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE..E..EE.EE.EE.EE..E...EE.EE..E.E
.....E..E.E.E.E.E.EE.E.E.EE.E...E.EE.EE...E.EE.EE.EEE...E
....E.EE.EEE.EE..EE.EE.E..EEEE..E..E.E...EEE.EEE..E.E..EE

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 03, 2011, 11:33:04 am »

I really enjoyed Irongrip: Warlord and the Irongrip mod that was on the Source Engine (forgot the name). It's a shame they're deserting the FPS/RTS gameplay for free2play browser games that don't intrest me at all.  :-[