Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: [Article]Industry heads claim up to 90% of games are pirated versions  (Read 4709 times)

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [Article]Industry heads claim up to 90% of games are pirated versions
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2011, 05:50:47 pm »

Do they even account for people buying legit and pirating cause of the DRM?  Heck, ton of people just skip over the first part of the equation since... why even bother?

Why would someone who bought the game then pirate it, when they could just download a crack to disable/remove the DRM instead?

On the subject of handheld game piracy, for things like the DS and PSP, and older gameboys, etc, I think an additional reason for piracy of those games might be that the cost to buy a game for those, for someone who lacks the handheld in question, is actually extremely high since it includes the handheld as well as the game. Combine that with the fact that you could play it in an emulator instead, and that the emulator has additional features such as the ability to save anywhere, and you have added incentive, provided that there is an emulator capable of running the game at a suitable performance on one of your computers.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 05:57:46 pm by Shadowlord »
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2011, 06:06:10 pm »

When I say a "pirated" PSP, I mean a PSP that has pirate firmware, for reference.

Also, that Stephen Fry thing is amazing.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2011, 06:18:42 pm by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2011, 06:33:04 pm »

When I say a "pirated" PSP, I mean a PSP that has pirate firmware, for reference.

Also, that Stephen Fry thing is amazing.

Pirate software doesn't exist :P

You're talking about Custom Software. Aka CFW ;)

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 01, 2011, 06:35:03 pm »

Let's be honest, Empty. Everybody with homebrew firmware (or at least nearly so) uses it for piracy. The other functions tend to be insignificant and all the cool shit is too unreliable. :<
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 01, 2011, 06:43:36 pm »

Let's be honest, Empty. Everybody with homebrew firmware (or at least nearly so) uses it for piracy. The other functions tend to be insignificant and all the cool shit is too unreliable. :<

Did I claim otherwise?
Don't make me say things I haven't said ;)

Bremen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 01, 2011, 06:57:11 pm »

Piracy wouldn't happen so much if the software was easily available for sale to everyone outside the target audience...
Congratulations, you have +Sales and -Pirates! Oh yea, never going to happen.  Costs too much to make it available like that and they can use it as a bloated excuse.

Do they even account for people buying legit and pirating cause of the DRM?  Heck, ton of people just skip over the first part of the equation since... why even bother?

i have to agree with this. Steam is the best DRM ever invented, not because it's harder to pirate but because it's easier to not pirate.

wrwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 01, 2011, 07:03:08 pm »

Here in Germany, the localized versions of video games that are not for children are often crippled and disfigured by censorship. This leaves the choice between the hassle of a direct import and a simple download.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 01, 2011, 07:06:12 pm »

Did I claim otherwise?
Don't make me say things I haven't said ;)

Yes. Yes, you did.

Pirate software doesn't exist :P

I assume you're confusing software and firmware, also.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 01, 2011, 09:31:40 pm »

People SELL pirated stuff now?

It's happening ever since i remember. Over a decade at least. I once seen a hardware shop running a pirate-game "background" store, in the middle of a city, no less.

Since 8" floppy discs, I'm sure. That was a bit before my time. I bought 3 1/2" clones at a convention in the early 90's.

How many of the "pay what you want $0.01" copies of World of Goo were actually tracked?

Matz05

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 01, 2011, 09:37:58 pm »

Probably only 10% of  them...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 01, 2011, 11:15:28 pm »

People SELL pirated stuff now?

It's happening ever since i remember. Over a decade at least. I once seen a hardware shop running a pirate-game "background" store, in the middle of a city, no less.

Since 8" floppy discs, I'm sure. That was a bit before my time. I bought 3 1/2" clones at a convention in the early 90's.

How many of the "pay what you want $0.01" copies of World of Goo were actually tracked?
Since people got them new-fangled tape copiers for the talky tube?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 01, 2011, 11:24:40 pm »

Since people got them new-fangled tape copiers for the talky tube?
I'm not sure about the piracy side of it, but the entire medieval information trade was copying someone else's saint's memoirs before giving them back. So it's older than steam.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 01, 2011, 11:24:41 pm »

Loaded figures, since "depending on the country" means "Southeast Asia has a huge piracy rate and there's nothing we can do about it, so we'll use those numbers to attack people in the states."

While I'm fine with them wanting to make money, misrepresenting facts still annoys me.
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 01, 2011, 11:26:59 pm »

I still remember how I was taunted by everyone because my PSP wasn't Cracked (allowing me to pirate games on my PSP) even so far as to have people just go right up to me and offer to crack it for me.

It still isn't cracked but I guess 90% isn't that out there.

What I REALLY hate about DRM is that most of it isn't Anti-piracy it is Anti-resale. Yes they will justify it as "Anti-piracy" because no one likes the idea of piracy (except a few people) but the fact of the matter is that it actually hurts resale more.

Just remember that. If any company says they are using DRM for piracy... they are LIARS!

PsyberianHusky

• Bay Watcher
  • The best at being the worst at video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 01, 2011, 11:31:13 pm »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=up863eQKGUI

I feel this is going to help the tread.
Thank you based dwarf.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5