Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Let's solve my massive story issues; "On game programming"  (Read 3062 times)

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
Let's solve my massive story issues; "On game programming"
« on: September 29, 2011, 12:21:31 pm »

I've tried writing a story about a small indie company developing a game. Problem: I've programmed only a couple simple games, certainly not in a company. I got stuck, well, at the place where the development was supposed to start for real. Basically, I'm at a loss about how to make it an interesting story. I see the issue in some way that if I worked on a video game I'd have some stories to share at least and would have an idea of the atmosphere. As I don't, I'm asking you for ideas about dramatic-comedic approach to game development. Or maybe someone could point me in the direction of some reading material about the inner workings of a game development company.

Or, I don't know, choose the better setup/build a chain of plot points:

• A major company visits a college to check out programming projects of the graduates. They take a fancy to an especially gloomy but creative guy, and take him on. He doesn't really fit in, but performs his duties admirably. Only, something strange begins to happen in/with the game...
  • A group of only-just-IT-graduates find their secret prayers answered when a shady businessman offers to sponsor their very own game...

Maybe you, like me right now, don't find those two premises very compelling and calling for further development, and maybe you could suggest something better.

klingon13524

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mongols are cool!
    • View Profile
Re: Let's solve my massive story issues; "On game programming"
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 03:10:08 pm »

I suppose you could watch the documentary on Mojang for inspiration. Also, maybe a love triangle between the programmers?
By creating a gobstopper that never loses its flavor he broke thermodynamics
Maybe it's parasitic. It never loses its flavor because you eventually die from having your nutrients stolen by it.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 04:50:05 pm »

That documentary is helpful. I've now got a thought to hunt down documentaries of other companies. I imagine it's my best chance for the atmosphere short of working there.

As to the love triangle - I'm of a mind to have a humorous tone, and love triangles more often tend to be dramatic affairs. I'm not going to place it in the center of the plot, in any case.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 11:34:06 am »

don't find those two premises very compelling

In general, plot doesn't make stories interesting. Characters do. "Two people stand in one spot and talk to each other for a couple minutes" sounds pretty dull, but it's the basic plot premise of an awful lot of very good comedy. So, my advice is to create interesting characters, populate your story with them, and then rather than attempting to compell those characters to act out the plot you have planned, allow them to create their own plot by following to see what they do in your story.

The best stories aren't usually written by authors. They're written by characters, and the author is just as curious to see what happens next as the readers eventually will be.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 12:59:16 pm »

Well, I can't do it like that. I always think about the end. A cool resolution. That's what's driving me onward. My stories begin with endings, I guess... Of course, that is not to say that if a cool ending developed on its own, I wouldn't accept it.

Anyway, I'm pondering a modified plot in which a new developer is taken on a team and apparently begins to implement his own things in the game, although the team is not sure that it's him. Then game characters begin visiting the company's office.

Eh. Yeah, right, interesting characters. They certainly help, I think. Well, I'll get on making them that.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 10:36:04 pm »

If you have a specific end you're working towards, at least make the characters so that their decisions logically lead to that point.  If you don't, you may have a good ending, but some readers will be scratching their heads thinking, "Why did he do that?" instead of "That was awesome!"
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 11:23:28 pm »

Well, I can't do it like that. I always think about the end. A cool resolution. That's what's driving me onward. My stories begin with endings, I guess... Of course, that is not to say that if a cool ending developed on its own, I wouldn't accept it.

Anyway, I'm pondering a modified plot in which a new developer is taken on a team and apparently begins to implement his own things in the game, although the team is not sure that it's him. Then game characters begin visiting the company's office.

Eh. Yeah, right, interesting characters. They certainly help, I think. Well, I'll get on making them that.
Sounds like someone needs to see Midnight in Paris. If you watch that movie, it'll help you get a handle on this style of plot. (though it isn't quite the same)
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2011, 11:31:26 pm »

Well what is the intent of the story?

Who is your audiance?

This story could be anything.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 12:59:06 am »

Well, I can't do it like that. I always think about the end. A cool resolution. That's what's driving me onward. My stories begin with endings, I guess... [blur]
You could take advantage of that if you wanted, be it like Momento or time shinanigans, or insure your story always has a sensible reason why your characters are flat and driven inexorably towards your "resolution". If you work on this for a while and over some stories, you will eventually be able to become so sick of it that you'll break your mould out of sheer frustration.

Sounds like someone needs to see Midnight in Paris. If you watch that movie, it'll help you get a handle on this style of plot. (though it isn't quite the same)
I have no idea about that movie (or any movie lately), but I know that any narrative with Strong characters, Weak author guidance, and Gravitational plot will teach the style by the infered ~osmosis. If you want (mikh) I'll pull together a list of things that didn't set off my contrive-o detector.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 05:51:22 am »

Well what is the intent of the story?

Who is your audiance?

This story could be anything.
The audience is people like me, I guess, - basically geeks who spend most of their time at their computer. The story is supposed to have a lot of references to video game tropes - at least.

The intent of the story is to tell the story.

Well, I can't do it like that. I always think about the end. A cool resolution. That's what's driving me onward. My stories begin with endings, I guess... [blur]
You could take advantage of that if you wanted, be it like Momento or time shinanigans, or insure your story always has a sensible reason why your characters are flat and driven inexorably towards your "resolution". If you work on this for a while and over some stories, you will eventually be able to become so sick of it that you'll break your mould out of sheer frustration.

I have no idea about that movie (or any movie lately), but I know that any narrative with Strong characters, Weak author guidance, and Gravitational plot will teach the style by the infered ~osmosis. If you want (mikh) I'll pull together a list of things that didn't set off my contrive-o detector.
Sorry, I don't quite understand what you're talking about. Especially "...Gravitational plot will theach the style by the infered ~osmosis"

Anyway, define me a strong character.

noodle0117

• Bay Watcher
  • I wonder what would happen if I pull it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2011, 07:33:06 am »

While reading all of the posts above, I just kept on thinking:

Well why not let the player himself choose the story outcome?

Different endings can come out depending on the choices the player made earlier.

It makes the player feel as if he's more in "control" of the game, and it also gives the game more replay value.

Just my thoughts.

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2011, 10:19:27 am »

Er. I don't understand... how it ties into the discussion. Are you suggesting I should make a Choose Your Adventure book?

Anyhows, it appears it again comes down to my not having a plot. Actually half-a-plot. This story is supposed to run in two strands: one is about the studio, the other about what's going on in the game they're developing. I like to think I've got the latter story. I thought I had the former one, too. Then it turned out there wasn't a plot beyond the beginning, and that wasn't very good.

e: Maybe I could play on something that is interesting about game developers or development. One thing was that people want to make games without much effort or make other people make games for them.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2011, 10:45:44 am by Supermikhail »

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2011, 11:38:25 am »

Obviously an entire company of people got money to produce a videogame.

But they loafed around too long, and now it is super-hard crunch time.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Supermikhail

• Bay Watcher
  • The Dwarf Of Steel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2011, 01:30:29 pm »

I guess it could be like that. My company was going to be relatively hard-working, but I didn't know how to make it interesting. So, say, what are people who loaf around too long like? From my experience I can have them have personal problems, but I don't think you start on a game having personal problems, or do you? I mean my loafing around involved dissatisfaction with what I was doing. Then there was just procrastination. Again, it's kind of hard to see it in a company - you've got your work set for you and before you, it's not like you're studying for an exam at home.

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2011, 06:24:11 pm »

it appears it again comes down to my not having a plot.

Again, authors don't write good plots, characters do. If you really want plot ideas, we can give you plot ideas, but we're warning you in advance that plot is not a very critical part of writing a good story. Most stories with interesting characters and no plot are comedies. Most stories with interesting plot and no characters are history books.

My company was going to be relatively hard-working, but I didn't know how to make it interesting. So, say, what are people who loaf around too long like?

See, that's just it. People who loaf around are not inetresting. But, people who are interesting might loaf around. Do you see how those two statements are different? Good characters are rarely defined by what they do, but interesting characters are interesting regardless of what they do.

it turned out there wasn't a plot beyond the beginning, and that wasn't very good.

Ok, look...here's five generic, canned plots for you:

* Stock Aesop: Hoist by his own petard
The story opens from the perspective of a particular game designer on his first day on the job. He's a junior programmer, but he's always expressing great interest in learning and taking on more complicated tasks. He befriends a senior developer, and the two become close enough to have a social life outside of work. The senior developer hates his job and when the junior offers to help with some more advanced tasks. That, however, is against company policy, and the senior is hesitant to allow it. But after much coaxing, eventually he relents and gives the junior deevloper some coding task that he's been stuck on, figuring that he wouldn't be able to handle it, but at least it will stop him from continuing to ask. However, the next day the junior solves the problem. Senior is shocked, but pleased, and conspiratorily begins feeding the junior his workload, swearing him to secrecy about the whole affair and taking credit for his work. This continues for some time, until the junior developer doesn't show up to work one day and it's revealed that he was a spy from a rival company who only took the job to steal trade secrets.

* Mooks work for Well Intentioned Extremist with a  Downer Ending
The president of the company doubles as lead developer. He's very driven to make an awesome game, but the company is broke and he's not willing to tell anyone because he's too focused on his holy grail of making an awesome game. When paychecks don't show up one month, he assures everyone that it's simply a clerical error and everything will be ok. But time goes on, and still no paychecks come. Every couple days he comes up with a different excuse, always trying to redirect everyone's attention on the sheer awesomeness of the game they're making. After a few weeks, the wife of a developer is in a car crash, and they desperately need the money immediately to take care of the hospital bills. He goes to the president, but he keeps telling the same story, insisting that they all just need to get back to work. The developer leaves in a huff, and several of the team resign. Those who stay keep working on the project, getting increasingly stressed day by day eating nothing but ramen until one day they come in and the office is being repossessed and the president has shot himself.

* Save the world from the Hidden Villain
Turns out the director of the gaming company is actually a demon and he's using the creation of the game to create a portal to unleash the legions of hell upon earth. The developers begin to suspect something is wrong when they find sections of code that nobody understands. It's not clear what they're supposed to do, and so far as they can tell, they shouldn't work at all. Of the dev team, the one who was the crazy one that nobody ever listened to starts to piece it together, but nobody listens to him until crazy things start to happen. Eventually they come to believe, and they conspire together to change the code to banish the demon.

* FarmBoy Desperately Seeking Purpose is Called To Adventure and finds his Goal In Life
Guy is dumped by his girlfriend only one semester away from graduating with an art degree. He mopes around and begins neglecting his schoolwork in favor of drawing fantasy artwork for his facebook page. His grades start falling, he doesn't care, questions why he's even in school to begin with since everyone in his family works retail and he's obviously not goign anywhere with his life. One day he gets surprise feedback from someone he doesn't know telling him that his art is very good, and asking to commission him for a particular piece of art for a very small fee. Pleasantly surprised, he even further ignores school and friends to work on the commissioned piece. His friends tell him he's an idiot, that he should eitehr focus on school, or at least relax some, and that he's wasting his time for an insgnificant amount of money. He ignores them, completes the work and skips an important exam to meet the client, who turns out to be a recruiter for a game development company who gave him the commission to see if he could do the type of art they required. He's happy with the work and offers him a job on the spot.

* Ralph Wiggum promoted by Nepotism is Too Dumb To Live, bringing on a Mutiny that leads to a Happy Ending
Lead developer marries into money and leaves the company on short notice in the middle of a project. Of the remaining five man band of developers, two vie for the position. One by claiming seniority, the other by claiming he has the best skill and experience for the job. Of the other three, one doesn't want the position because he's scared of responsibility, one genuinely believes in the project and simply hopes that the best man get the position. The fifth is too pessimistic to hope or expect to get the position himself and cynically suggests that the worst possible person will inevitably get it. He's right, and an idiot relative of the boss gets the job. He's never worked in the industry, the only games he's ever played are checkers and badminton, and he doesn't know quite enough about computers to send email without help. the dev team is shocked, and as time goes and the new boss starts to think he's getting a grip on this game design thing he starts issuing increasingly stupid directives. Some of the team tries to argue, some accept, others consider quitting, but finally the cynic of the group convinced them to tell the boss that they're doing what he says, but actually do what they want. The narrative goes back and forth between their attempts to manufacture the trash the boss is asking for, and the actual game that they're actually working on. Eventually release day comes, everyone is worried they'll all be fired when the reveal happens, except the cynic who doesn't want to work there anymore anyway. However, the game is a smashing success, and the boss is too stupid to realize that they didn't anything other than what he told them to.

Note that the last one probably has the most potential for comedy. However, once again, plot is not what makes interesting stories. Characters make interesting stories.

Good luck.
Pages: [1] 2