Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Remote Deconstructing?  (Read 2162 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Remote Deconstructing?
« on: September 28, 2011, 11:59:40 pm »

Modding is ok for this, but I'm working on an idea.  Basically, I want to be able to deconstruct a building as if by magic.  You walk into a room, and suddenly the workshop deconstructs into loose rubble.  The best idea I had for this, was to mad the material to melt at just over room temperature, that way I could run magma under the floor, heating the structure, and causing it to melt and deconstruct.  The other alternative would be controlled cave-ins...

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: Remote Deconstructing?
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2011, 12:04:46 am »

I'm pretty sure constructions ignore temperature. Wooden walls and floors, for example, will not ignite on contact with magma. I'm not sure if supports ignore temperature or not, but in any case, a building held up by supports can be remote-deconstructed by linking it to a lever or pressure plates (a pressure plate in the building, for example).
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2011, 12:08:51 am »

Workshops, in this case.  I'm planning some theatrics here, and want to make an upright sword that an adventurer can retrieve.  I'd like for it to say "Upright Sword" and not just be a loose sword on the ground, and it will be a custom workshop that takes 1 block and 1 sword to construct.  Or axe or spear or whatever, you get the idea.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2011, 12:17:42 am »

Ah, yes! I had a glacier fort back in 40d. Workshops made of ice would deconstruct at random points after construction (I never found any real consistent pattern to it). If the workshops were made out of a meltable material (something with a higher melting point than ice, like just over room temperature, as you suggest), I'm sure this would work.

Also, there was a previous thread (concerning the Display Case custom workshop) in which people figured that the best (or maybe the easiest) way to make items built into workshops retrievable by adventurers was to use supports. The melting idea is far more elegant, though, and it involves magma.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2011, 12:22:19 am »

Also for the purpose of this adventure-related fort, it will be heavily vested in both magma and water, so it's a relatively easy addition considering all the planning already.

How did the supports work to deconstruct though?  I'm curious now...

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2011, 12:49:27 am »

Essentially, you have a support linked to a lever or pressure plate, so it can be deconstructed easily. Built atop the support are floor tiles, however many are needed to place the workshop. The Display Case workshop requires a glass box, blocks, and any item - a forgotten beast corpse, an artifact, etc. When the support is deconstructed, the floor it supports collapses, and the workshop deconstructs into into it's component parts, which can then be retrieved by an adventurer.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2011, 12:50:33 am »

Sounds rather messy, and dangerous for an adventurer who might get caught in the blast...

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2011, 12:56:23 am »

Which is why you build the fortress as a massive puzzle, so the adventurer has to go through the right steps to retrieve their prize by pulling all the right levers in distant parts of the fort, while dodging similarly triggered mechanical traps.

You then pass the save to someone else with directions to the fort, but not the plans for its traps and treasures.

The treasure should be really REALLY tempting and obviously placed

Much fun will be had by all.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2011, 01:00:35 am »

Sounds rather messy, and dangerous for an adventurer who might get caught in the blast...

A simple doorway or window protects against the cave-in dust.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2011, 01:01:29 am »

And also protects against theatrical grandeur.

dr_random

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2011, 03:00:31 am »

You can build a workshop from ice - it will deconstruct when temperature is high enough. I played with a "crystal palace" project idea but cancelled it, when I found the magma pipe.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2011, 07:51:47 am »

Could you collapse one of its supporting floor tiles (by building it on a constructed wall or something)?
[Signature]

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2011, 07:57:37 am »

How would you go about a structure that's flat, but has 1 tile unsupported?  It's not really possible to have a single tile in a floor collapse.  The only other option would be to cave a cave-in directly above it, crashing through the floor and into a pit, but this would leave a hole in the floor which may or may not be desired.

ZeroSumHappiness

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2011, 10:23:26 am »

Bridge the gap between the target and the natural floor with hatches or bridges?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2011, 10:33:01 am »

How would you build upon a hatch or bridge?  And it would look all weird.
Pages: [1] 2