Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 176892 times)

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #405 on: December 06, 2011, 10:12:37 am »

From the journals of Ishar the Third:
I'm beginning to thenk this mame is kind of a bab bad omen. Welll, should've guessed it, sence I'm the thirb one to use it in, what, fiwe yearss? Oh well, stell better tham being a Zulben. Those guvs are kind of asssholes asholes assholles pricks, severing limbs and all. Although, if they were as good at chopping wood as thev are now at chopping people, they could be awesone avesome good at their job. I suppose that's a thing, too.
It's kinda hard to write with my left hand.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: December 06, 2011, 11:41:59 am »

Quick scout notes:

That arm that got torn off a while ago. That was AWESOME.
Requestin' more defenses. Traps and the like.

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: December 06, 2011, 12:01:56 pm »

I love how well this has continued, the game seems to be giving enough writing material to make this last for a while especially since the bridge hasn't been continued yet. Can't wait to see where this goes.

(Did you ever find out definatively what happened to Shina? Reading back they just found her dead. Don't worry if you don't know off the top of your head, on the grand scale of things one death before reclaim isn't a big deal.)

Request redorfing:

Argon, furnace operator and whatever type of smith you have a need for at the moment. He's migrating from a position of power in another dwarven civ that's dying out and thus has to make a living where ever he can. Figuring that the largest dwarven building project yet would need a few extra hands, he decided to illegally migrate and see if there was an opportunity for him at Oceanbridge. He's not pompous and he's very down to Earth. He tries not to stand out too much, but tends to speak out through sarcasm. Feel free to take creative liberties, I'll adjust any logs I may write accordingly.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: December 06, 2011, 01:09:23 pm »

Excerpt from the personal log of Remalle, citizen of the dwarf fortress Oceanbridge.  The date is unclear.

...so of course Wilberforce decided the best choice to head this seance was me.  You know, before I came to Oceanbridge, no ghosts were even heard of, unless as a joke or ghost story.  I never imagined they could actually exist.  I suppose I was chosen because it had been my original idea to create the small memorials for passed dwarves, but in the end that really amounts to being chosen to head the military for having seen a kobold once, or being appointed chief medical dwarf because one has some skill in weaving.  Ha!
Imagine my shock when I found myself watching a spirit actually attempting to communicate!  Not much information, of course, or I'm sure people would consult these departed souls more frequently.  I certainly would never before in my life have attempted such an endeavor, being as I am a devout worshipper of my god...

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: December 06, 2011, 04:47:40 pm »

"Well, this can't be good."
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: December 06, 2011, 06:46:28 pm »

((I like the character posts, they're quite fun. Makes me feel a bit guilty about this post, just moving events forward right now. There's a little bit of story here too, for those who are interested in that))

From the Memoirs of Wilberforce Amber Ropenourished, Early Summer 197

Dear readers, what a season this spring has been. The whole séance thing may have been a bit of bust in terms of actual answers, but it was quite a thrill! Ghosts know how to put on a show, if it weren’t for the fact they were trying to kill us, I’d say keep them around. We do seem to have had luck in ridding ourselves of one of them. Remalle spotted Zulban's head; how he knew it, I can't say. But we gave it as proper a burial as you can give a severed head.

No outbursts as yet.

Other problems, like dwarfs in a vat of beer, occasionally surface. A bonecarver whom I am not personally acquainted with has lost his mind, as far as can be told. He sits in his workshop, demanding nothing but shells, shells, and more shells. Not a shell presents itself. I fear for him.

Good old Ishar has recovered from her wounds, or at least she’s up and about. That hammerer Dr. KillPatient apparently said that he wanted to try his hand at curing her, and since then she’s been as sprightly as the day she had her arm ripped from her body by a vengeful spirit. Or as sprightly as the day before that happened, really.

Some elves arrived at the front gate a week or two back, much to my surprise!

Now, I'm not sure what you might think of elves. Some hate them, and their manners are somewhat off-putting to put the most charitable face on it. But they sold us a cargo of lumber, and some very fine brews of their homeland, so right now, my feelings toward elves are all quite sunny.

And if that all weren’t enough to fill up a man’s day, another army of those ape things has arrived at the gates!

We’ve got things closed up while we plan, but I suppose we’ll have to go out there and kill them all, pretty soon.

Somewhere Else

Meanwhile, on a small ship, being tossed and battered by enormous waves in the Sea of Tormenting, Aban Brothertreaties was learning why you left sailing to the experts.

The only reliable way back to the mountain homes was by boat, and her plan had been simple, she thought. Make it to one of the human villages that somehow survived on Nightmare Island, get a ship somehow, sail it back to the mainland. She would have admitted even then that she didn’t really know how to sail, her only previous experience on the water being almost drowning.

It looked like she was about to get more experience with drowning, at least.

(To Continue Later)

Next: Sieges, Alligators, and the Return of a Mighty Hero.

((By the way, the bridge is still being built. Sloooooooowly))

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: December 06, 2011, 08:18:52 pm »

Scout quick notes:

Beat freakin' ape-people's heads in.
Annoy someone into making carvings.

Remalle

• Bay Watcher
  • they/them
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: December 06, 2011, 08:46:10 pm »

The following was discovered carved on the underside of a table in the dwarf fortress Oceanbridge.

note to self- some dwarf bugging me about carving shi stuff, deal with him after finding my way back up from under the table
-remalle

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: December 06, 2011, 09:46:17 pm »

You know, having the Scout in this fort is seriously making me wanna create a TF2 mod.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: December 06, 2011, 10:28:22 pm »

From the journal of Dr. KillPatient, Malpractitioner
(The page appears to have blood splatters all over it, as if they dripped onto the paper from something in the writer's possession.)
  Poor Ishar got her arm torn off by one of them ghosty beings hanging about the fort. The other dwarves just stood there staring at her 'till I pushed my way through the crowd and administered treatment. Nothing a good hammering to the bloodied arm-stump can't fix! The dwarves watching me at work looked horrified at my bed-- ah, floor-side manner... I can't be sure why. She's alright now, I suppose. Anyway, since Ishar had already lost so much blood to that spirit, the upper third of my glamorous lab coat was left nearly stain-free! My boots, on the other hand, need some heavy cleaning now. Can't have their fine dwarf leather exterior stained because of my work! I'm off to wash 'em in the ale stockpiles. Because of all that alcohol it's the most sanitary place around to wash the contaminants off your boots, you know!

That hammerer Dr. KillPatient apparently said that he wanted to try his hand at curing her, and since then she’s been as sprightly as the day she had her arm ripped from her body by a vengeful spirit.

That's the first time I've seen that, actually... dwarves whose limbs have been torn off don't ask for or require medical attention as far as I know. (Or was that just a humorous addition to the story? Not sure if I actually have medical skills activated) Excellent update regardless. It's a pity I can't tie a few helmet snakes around my warhammer and make a war-caduceus.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 10:30:16 pm by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: December 06, 2011, 10:47:10 pm »

You know, having the Scout in this fort is seriously making me wanna create a TF2 mod.

From what I've heard on the map front they have a DF to minecraft converter and, if you're feeling brave, you can run the resulting file through a minecraft to source converter so that you can play TF2 in your DF maps. Just going to throw it out there that I've never tried this and have no idea how well it works (probably poorly) or how difficult it is to get it to work (probably very) so try at your own risk. My only warning would be to check dimensions so that you don't wind up with a bunch of corridors that non-dorfs would have to crouch to get through.
Sorry for going off topic, but I'm sure more than a few people will be glad to hear that this kind of thing exists. Hell, maybe if the bridge becomes epic enough we can turn it into a map. Funny thought for us all to get together and play on it. It'd be fun to see Derm and HWG as heavies,  the Colonel and Dr. KP as medics and Scout as... well... yeah.
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: December 07, 2011, 02:55:55 am »

Remalle spotted Zulban's head; how he knew it, I can't say.
Maybe subtle moaning "It is my head, idiot"?

He sits in his workshop, demanding nothing but shells, shells, and more shells.

<outofcharacter>
Is it .25 world in .25? Shell demands for strange moods are marked as "verify" on magmawiki.
</outofcharacter>
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: December 07, 2011, 04:20:58 am »

aww, only wood and booze? Best part of elf trading is the exotic animals! >.> Then again I'm not dwarfed yet, so not really there to complain heh.
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: December 07, 2011, 11:31:18 am »

((OOC Post))

aww, only wood and booze? Best part of elf trading is the exotic animals! >.> Then again I'm not dwarfed yet, so not really there to complain heh.

I forgot, we bought a tiger as well, and a honey badger. Plenty of angry animals all around!

That's the first time I've seen that, actually... dwarves whose limbs have been torn off don't ask for or require medical attention as far as I know. (Or was that just a humorous addition to the story?

Just a bit of license. I was amazed by how she just leapt out of bed, despite the lack of arm. I figure anyone who saw the good doctor advancing on them would get better in a hurry, or else.

As an aid for people who need to be dwarfed, here is a list of open dwarfs:

two bowyers
one envgraveer
one metalsmith
one glassmaker
one glazer
two woodcrafters
one fisher
one brewer
one milker
one soapmaker
two siege engineers

Most of the above are women, and most people seemed to specify male dwarfs, which is part of why I have delayed on some. If you don't care about the gender, let me know. I don't think people really care about the gender, but I like to get things right, so...

Update coming soon!

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: December 07, 2011, 12:33:52 pm »

The scout wants a tiger.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 85