Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 85

Author Topic: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort: Reclaimed, Again! (And Again)  (Read 176899 times)

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
Re: Oceanbridge - A Fortress Defense Community Fort Thing
« Reply #420 on: December 07, 2011, 01:53:24 pm »

Ah gender doesn't matter, most outsiders can't tell the difference anyhow. Can't wait to see what's going on for the update!
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: December 07, 2011, 11:17:41 pm »

Sieges Are A Problem

The Scout knew how to deal with the problem. “When do we start killing? Just let me out there, boss, and I’ll break this siege myself.”

Wilberforce shook his head. “I’d like to see them get acquainted with our traps, first. If only they would try! We’ve got the gates open, there’s a whole fort of tasty dwarfs here... Why aren’t they attacking?”

Balnash cleared his throat, saying “Sir, I’m thinkin’ that they might be brighter than you think. These things attacked us before; they know the traps are there, more than likely. They ain’t going to try attacking that way.”

Wilberforce brought his hand down on the battlement. “Bother!”

"Bother?"

Wilberforce ignored him, and watched for a while as the ape-men capered and danced on their alligator mounts, far out of reach of the wall. There were three groups this time, about ten in each. The friendly goblins had tried to fight them off, and now most of them were dead. Which was unfortunate, sort of. But there was something else out there... “Isn’t that the yak, over by the dry pond? The one who gave them quite a thrashing the last time?”

Balnash snorted. “I don’t think a yak is going to stop ‘em this time, Wilberforce. Looks like we gotta do this one... ourselves...”

He trailed off, then, as the ape-men spotted the peacefully grazing herbivore. Shrieking, they drove their strange mounts toward him, doubtless hungry for vengeance. Peacespray spotted them, as well. Battle was joined, and things quickly turned violent. Hideous screams and bellows tore through the air, blood sprayed over the landscape, bones were shattered, organs crushed, and various other unpleasant things happened.

Wilberforce turned away after a few minutes, unable to watch. The Scout, on the other hand, was fascinated.

At the end, the yak stood alone, surrounded by pools of blood and the bodies of ape-men and alligators.

He snorted, then went back to grazing. Only one group of the attackers remained, safely distant from the yak called Peacespray.

Wilberforce managed to look again. “The hells hath no fury like a yak, I guess, or something of that nature.” He nodded towards the Scout. “I think that will suffice. Let’s take care of the remainder, shall we?”

“Hell yes!”

That part of the battle was simple. The Scout and G arranged the army of Oceanbridge (which meant most of the population) on the field outside of the fort.

The Scout then charged right at the enemy without waiting to see if anyone else was prepared, and the thing descended into chaos.

By the end, the ape-men were dead, and only one soldier was wounded.

An axedwarf named Zulban lost a hand to an alligator, something Ishar felt was appropriate, somehow.

Balnash and Ishar were the first to make it back to the gates, so that meant that they were the first to hear the screams coming from inside.

Next: A Re-Introduction to Madness, and Dwarfs for Everyone! (I mean it this time)

((I may be talking about the yak too much, but come on! He's basically broken two sieges almost entirely on his own. His full name is Peacespray the Spry Pleats of Attacking. That's right, the yak has more kills than any of our soldiers.))

Masked_Hunter1825

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: December 07, 2011, 11:45:32 pm »

Can we tame him and make a War Yak?

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: December 07, 2011, 11:57:12 pm »

I want to see kill list of this animal.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: December 08, 2011, 04:34:33 am »

This is the most holy yak, i say make sure you keep him somewere safe so you can unleash him on unsusspecting seiges.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

peregarrett

• Bay Watcher
  • Гномовержец Enjoyed throwing someone recently
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: December 08, 2011, 04:40:26 am »

Let him wander there and unleash his fury upon invaders!

Once he get notable kill list, mass make statues. We need some statues of him!

Or we can set huge Yak Skull at the entrance of Bridge - a Wild West theme
Did you know that the Russian word for "sock" is "no sock"?
I just saw a guy with two broken legs push a minecart with a corpse in it. Yeah.

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: December 08, 2011, 06:58:40 am »

once the bridge is done i propose we should place a giant yak statue/megaproject on one of the ends it should also "spray" magma at foolish invaders
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 07:03:25 am by Siverix »

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: December 08, 2011, 08:59:15 am »

I don't recall hostiles attacking random woodland creatures, so I suppose Peacespray is one of our tame (only technically, of course) yaks. Could you perhaps set up a tomb for him? I think you'd have to make him somebody's pet first so you could assign him a coffin.

( I suspect that as soon as armed/armored enemies arrive, Peacespray will meet his doom. He's better in combat than the stranglers because he's enormous compared to them. Perhaps we could get him inside before that and give him a grazing area in the caverns? No doubt he'll kick a forgotten beast to death at some point. )

EDIT: Also, Peacespray undoubtedly looks like this.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2011, 09:03:27 am by DrKillPatient »
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: December 08, 2011, 09:01:21 am »

You know, having the Scout in this fort is seriously making me wanna create a TF2 mod.

From what I've heard on the map front they have a DF to minecraft converter and, if you're feeling brave, you can run the resulting file through a minecraft to source converter so that you can play TF2 in your DF maps. Just going to throw it out there that I've never tried this and have no idea how well it works (probably poorly) or how difficult it is to get it to work (probably very) so try at your own risk. My only warning would be to check dimensions so that you don't wind up with a bunch of corridors that non-dorfs would have to crouch to get through.
Sorry for going off topic, but I'm sure more than a few people will be glad to hear that this kind of thing exists. Hell, maybe if the bridge becomes epic enough we can turn it into a map. Funny thought for us all to get together and play on it. It'd be fun to see Derm and HWG as heavies,  the Colonel and Dr. KP as medics and Scout as... well... yeah.

I was actually thinking more on the lines of making a TF2 mod for DF, like changing thge title of expedition/mayor/etc. to Saxton Hale, removing all the race and replacing with RED and BLU and using the Human raws.
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

Haika

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: December 08, 2011, 11:59:19 am »

If we do end up training the Yak. I so call dibs. XD

Oddly enough Gender also doesn't matter to my dwarf. And really, a tiger is amusingly fitting for what I was going for with the name 'Roy'. >.>

Also, Tigers are great, they can be made War animals without touching the raws, as long as Exotic pet taming is off(dumb dungeon master bug)
The research assistant couldn't experiment with plants because he hadn't botany
Don't expect a bonsai tree to grow the miniature planting it.
Trust your calculator. It's something to count on.
Pencils could be made with erasers at both ends, but what would be the point?

Ishar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: December 08, 2011, 04:21:52 pm »

An axedwarf named Zulban lost a hand to an alligator, something Ishar felt was appropriate, somehow.

That's priceless.
Shadytorments, a Masterwork DF community fort - RESTARTED as Newtorments!

Mjattie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: December 09, 2011, 10:09:13 am »

Id like to be dorfd as Mr. Anderson in the next migrant wave. He will be part-time military, part time forge worker.
EDIT: I suggest the Baron's quarters look out into the caverns, with bridges between the windows and the flying building destroyers, so they can be opened in an emergency.
Sorry, I saw you accidentally wrote closed, so I fixed it.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: December 09, 2011, 10:57:01 am »

((Am I the only one who couldn't get into the forums at all yesterday?))

Events of the Early Summer

Remalle and Peregar were holding the bonecarver off with a broken larch chair. “Look, I’m sorry that we couldn’t find any shells! Could you please not kill us?”

The bonecarver didn’t reply, at least not in a sensible way. He had a sharpened elk bird rib in one hand, and it was only luck that he hadn’t managed to land a blow yet.

“You can’t reason with him, Peregar! This is the sort of thing that- oh god,” Remalle barely avoided being stabbed, “that happened in the old fort! He needs to be put down!”

“How?”

A shadow loomed behind the berserk dwarf. The Scout, his face calm, swung his morningstar in long overhead sweep. The bonecarver’s skull was crushed, and he collapsed like, well, like an extremely dead dwarf.

Remalle wiped a bit of blood and brain from his face. “... Like that.”

Wilberforce and the others arrived in the workshops a moment later. They saw the body.

“Poor fellow. He’ll receive the finest burial we can give him.”

“He tried to kill me!” Peregar shouted, still very shaken.

“Well, we can’t give him a very fine burial.”

Any further conversation was interrupted by the sound of screams coming from below. Wilberforce looked down, and then said “To the bedrooms!”

The dwarfs who still had the energy (most of them were still recovering from the battle) raced after Wilberforce. They ran down the stairs, and into the dining halls, where everything was silent again, beside the noise of the waterfall.

“Who was down here last, by the way?

“Just Tun the engraver, I think. He’s not in the military, and he told me he had some work to do, so-“

“To Tun’s room!”

When they finally arrived, they found a scene eerily similar to the one they had found in Ishar’s room. Oh, there were a few minor details that were different. Tun was on the floor, rather than the bed, and it was his left leg that had been torn off and used as a paint brush.

“I see this ghost went in for more of an abstract message, no clear words here,” Wilberforce noted after looking the scene over.

"I think this one was the child... he might not know any words yet... or, well..." Remalle stopped when he saw the others giving him what could only be described as  "looks". "What? I'm just guessing! There's only one other ghost that's violent that we know of, and Mosus said it sounded like a child!"

Wilberforce clapped him on the back. "Not a problem, my boy. I'm just thrilled to see we have an expert on ghosts on our side."

"I'm not a-"

Wilberforce smiled, and quietly said, "Well, you're the closest thing we have, Remalle. So unless you find yourself wanting a repeat of what happened here before, it is my own expert opinion that you become an expert, as it were."

There were three other dwarfs who also hadn’t been involved in the battle, or any of the ensuing chaos. They were Siverix, a soap maker, who’d spent most of his time in Oceanbridge trying to get the importance or even existence of his profession recognized. Roy, a woodcrafter and animal trainer, and Argon, furnace operator and siege engineer. They were exploring the lower levels, in a vain quest to find another path to the magma forges.

They had discovered several things. First, there were tunnels  everywhere. Second, planning and foresight clearly had not been foremost in the original inhabitants minds.

The winding corridor they had found eventually led to a loosely packed basalt wall that looked built, rather than natural. Working together, Roy and Argon managed to pull away some of the debris, revealing a large, water filled room... and an unusual skeleton.

The three went back to the surface rather quickly. The trouble with exploring was that you sometimes found things

Dwarfs
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Next: Bird-Men and Yak-Lords

((
Id like to be dorfd as Mr. Anderson in the next migrant wave. He will be part-time military, part time forge worker.

I shall try, presuming we ever get another migrant wave.

EDIT: Also, Peacespray undoubtedly looks like this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

That picture delights me, I almost want to ask what it's from. But no. Screw context.

Also, Peacespray is actually a merchant yak, from the human merchants who were on the map when it was abandoned. So we have no control over him, but he does fight enemies.))

Siverix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: December 09, 2011, 12:59:20 pm »

my dwarf likes adamantine and picks now i wish he was a weaponsmith but then again he's the one who keeps your limbless asses from rotting away  :D

neo1096

• Bay Watcher
  • It watches and waits...
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: December 09, 2011, 01:02:35 pm »

Am I still in the military? If not, my dwarf should be actively attempting to get back in. He has a great desire to sever limbs with a whip after all.
What again? Iron scepter - Lovehealing? Oh, I almost shed a tear... Put it in your ass, I'm talking about importans artistic defences!!! You see, yaks and bridge... Stop polishing that scepter! You're disgusting me!"
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 85