Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231647 times)

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast
« Reply #360 on: October 08, 2011, 05:35:16 pm »

William looks bored, ethier waiting for a conversation or something interesting, besides the nice paintings.

'Tala' approached the masked man with a practiced slow strut. She knew he had caused commotion in the court awhile ago in gaining a portion of land, but she could not yet place who exactly he was.

She came up behind him, and almost whispered into his ear.

"My dear, this isn't a masquerade ball-and I can't say we've had the pleasure to meet.

I'm Tala Alanis-your host tonight. Who might you be?"
She asked innocently.

*later*

Head for the party.

Nikephoros also catches the hostess's eye. She approaches him and offers the mercenary a glass of honeyed wine and the warm smile of a comely woman. Dangerous weapons, those.

"There you are-I've been looking for you all night...

It's Nikephoros, isn't it? The new General of Ligoria. I've been eager to meet you. I'm sure you know me as Tala Alanis. What brings an esteemed guest such as you to my little party?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: October 08, 2011, 06:15:27 pm »

Yes, that is correct. I'm here to see Her Majesty's court and people who surround her.
Nikephoros took the glass and took a small sip. Sweet drink, he thought. Too sweet for his taste. He kept taking small sips though, but avoiding a refill or another glass.
He glanced at the woman who offered him the drink. She was a pretty little thing. Quite young yet already very wise in her actions, always composed and offering a smile and kind eye to those whom she spoke to. She must have been a noblewoman or a daughter of someone important.

As I heard, you are the one who organised this little reception, yes? I am curious to know your fuction in the court of our queen. Is here anything beyond your noble status and the land? If I seem harsh or unpleasant in my tone or words, know that I am a mere soldier, not made for courtly manners. But I do not mean any offence either.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: October 08, 2011, 06:54:40 pm »

'Tala' shrugged nonchalantly, not averting her gaze from the polite Nikephoros. Though he was almost 20 years her elder, 'Tala' did feel a certain attraction to him. He bore the marks of a man who had long rode to war, and returned, with little to show for it but a handshake and a pouch of money to balm his deep wounds. Much like they would do to her, eventually, 'Tala' mused.

She had a profound respect for the man, from what she had read in his file-which, was to say, he was a potential enemy already. In a way, they were both soldiers, even if the means differed in how they accomplished their goals. She hoped he would never have reason to bar her way.

"I take no offense to your words, kind sir. Indeed, I would question a Soldier closely if he seemed too courteous, that he may have forgotten the true art of the Blade for one of the honeyed tounge...

..but my function? That is the great riddle. I am exploring many avenues-trying many things-searching for a way I may serve the kingdom and restore the name of House Alanis to it's former grandeur.

Rest assured, I have much more to offer the kingdom than fabulous parties. My childhood education covered a wide variety of subjects...science, philosophy, art, war, medicine, alchemy, biology...as the old saying goes, there's much more to me than just a pretty face. Let no one say Tala Alanis will be content to merely seek the arm of a handsome man and a position at the head of the ball to be satisfied."

'Tala's green eyes at that moment, reflect the fire of genuine ambition.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: October 08, 2011, 07:10:45 pm »

Ah, so there is more to her than another empty-headed noble then, Nikephoros thought. She was quite ambitious and had a lofty goal, but that was not of any deep interest to him. She is to be watched though, he mused. People like that do not happen to be around every monarch.

Well, I must say that you are a person of great ambition, just like our queen. I hope that you succeed in your endeavours, whatever they might be.

A quick glance across the people gathered did not reveal any familiar faces, since he spent so little time in the castle. He was quite curious about the strange newcomers he heard so much about though.

Do you mind telling me bit about those bizzare lizard people? I heard that some of them are at our queen's employ and I'm curious about their goals. I haven't seen them myself, but I assume you had some contact with them?

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: October 08, 2011, 07:30:25 pm »

William's face under the mask remained unexpressive. He looked at the woman's distorted reflection in the gilt of the frames, a trick he learned from the multiple attempts on his life by assassins, and came to decision. In a second, William  gave the glass to his herald. Then turned and bowed lightly. In a sweet voice, tinged with a muttish mix of accents.
"I'm William Blackrose, and I'm sure I haven't had the pleasure of meeting you. And as for the mask, it goes with the outfit."
William stared into her eyes, shook the hood off, slid the mask down, revealing a wry smile under a disorganized mop of reddish blond hair.
"But of course, if you wish I could remove it. It is, after all, your party, quite a party, as well."
Then he leaned in and whispered into her ear.
"I may have some information for you...if you wish to hear it."
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 07:36:21 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: October 08, 2011, 07:50:58 pm »

@Nikephoros
'Tala' nodded, and lowered her voice a notch, in timbre and volume.

"I did have occasion to speak to Retcyl Jementeten-he's one of those Hatcuri, ostensibly here for Diplomacy. He was predictably tight lipped, impolite and curt when I spoke to him-he would not even let slip the name of what land he served.

I have no reason to believe him any more than a foreigner seeking tidbits of information about our Kingdom under the cover of Diplomatic envoy. He should be watched carefully, I think.

Political chicanery aside, can I ask how you would prefer I address in the future-as Sir Vandire, perhaps, or merely your first name? You can call me by my first or last name, if you so wish, but 'Lady Alanis' makes me sound so old."

'Tala' laughed quietly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@William

The young man was dangerous and unpredictable...and passably handsome. That was her first thought. Maybe he was even a little mad. He was, at least, more forward than any of the other ones were. The fact he had unmasked so quickly had convinced her that maybe his habit was merely a disguise, not a true reflection of himself.

She leaned forward herself, placed a hand on his left shoulder, and whispered back.

"Sir Blackrose-I do so admire that name-anything we could share would be no doubt be interesting...meet me in the gazebo to the North of the tent in 15 minutes, alone. We shall not be interrupted...for whatever you might have in mind."

She let the words trail off-leaving her true intentions shrouded-before melting back into the crowd. Her guards would be sure to clear the area for her. She had an idea what he wanted, but one could never be sure...

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: October 08, 2011, 08:01:18 pm »

A small nod.
William turned and looked at the painting with the soldiers in it, he didn't particularly want to read the plaque, and so he didn't. He drained another glass- the third tonight- and slid the mask back up.
"Stay here Harold, and don't get into any trouble."

William waits fourteen minutes and heads to the Gazebo.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: October 08, 2011, 08:41:22 pm »

14 minutes later...

[6] William slips away so quietly, most could not say he was there at all...

As William approaches the Gazebo, he notices half a dozen guards in the shadows of the gardens, in a loose net around the meeting place, but out of hearing range themselves. The Gazebo itself is designed to trap the echoes of whispers...with lots of open space in all directions. Any listeners from afar would have a difficult time approaching it.

William can see Tala there now, lounging on a bench against a low wall with her legs and arms crossed, sipping from a fluted glass. She makes no obvious movements when she spots you, but the light of the moon reflects off her eyes nicely.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: October 08, 2011, 08:52:48 pm »

William's hand twitches down toward's his boot when he sees the guard, but covers it nicely by itching his leg. He sits down across from Tala, smiles and makes eye contact once again.
"I didn't know I was supposed to bring freinds."

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: October 08, 2011, 09:04:28 pm »

Contact. Smile. Tilt of the head. Lay the glass down gently, but keep it at hand.

"They're just here to ensure no one interrupts us...William. You said yourself after all, this is my party. But, if it will make you more comfortable...out of sight, out of mind."

Tala gets up and looks out upon the lawn. She nods to one of the guards, who quickly signals to the others, and they fade away...not gone, but now unseen. She sits back down in the same position as before.

"Now-we have privacy. What is it you wanted to share with me?"

The weight of the slender dagger on her slender thigh was reassuring at that moment, as she leaned back-awarding the noble a nice view of herself-, awaiting Williams response.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: October 08, 2011, 09:21:26 pm »

William didn't break the eye contact, under the mask a genuine smile twitched across his features. He shifted in his seat slightly and crossed one leg over the other and rested his hand on his boot.
"I assume that you have met the ambassador from the Hatcuri empire? It thinks your a spy. It's heading to your land to see if there is any evidence of treason. If it finds it he will present it to the queen, and in return it willl gain her trust and support...as well as your pretty little head. It will build a powerbase here for it's empire. I don't want that and I'm guessing who you work for don't want that either.
If you left a paper trail that supports anything that smells faintly of treason, I suggest you destroy it sooner rather then later."
he took a sip of the mead and leaned back.

"Oh and having a knife under your dress, strapped to your leg or in your shoe is not very safe.[/color=red]
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:25:06 pm by filiusenox »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: October 08, 2011, 09:58:56 pm »

"Even less safe for others, perhaps. Everytime one of my guards hovers near you, your hand goes to your own dagger."

'Tala' smiled, thought for a moment. This wasn't exactly news to her-she had heard the diplomat was investigating lands, precautions had been taken, after all. Spies don't write anything down, that they don't burn after reading...

"The ambassador is free to think what he wants. He may find the reception a trifle hot if he thinks to intrude upon my lands, though.

And...Treason is a dangerous word to throw around, these days...I'm no traitor or a spy, but if the suspicion of it comes upon my family, we may be put into a hard position.

Personally, I do not the think the Queen will take the word of a Hatcuri ambassador with ignoble intentions, over one of her nobles, but, then again, one can never trust the whims of a Reagent entirely. Rest assured, I've taken precautions. I suppose I should thank you, but I already knew as much.

So, William-why did you tell me of this? What do you gain from it?"

She saw him a new light, wondering what his game was.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: October 08, 2011, 11:20:43 pm »

William's fake smile goes up again. He didn't change his tone.
"Nothing. I just thought I should warn you for no damn good particular reason. I have nothing for you then, sorry for wasting your time Tala, and a pleasure to meet you."
William rose and left the Gazebo. Walking slowly and calmly back to the main park.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2011, 11:25:21 pm by filiusenox »

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: October 09, 2011, 05:32:41 am »

Tala waited 10 minutes before returning to the party. It seemed the man was to remain mysterious to her. Too bad. She needed allies here, not mysterious messengers.

She called over one of her guards-the silent one, Veritas. The poor man had his tounge branded when he was a slave youth, and could only communicate in affirmatives and negatives. She had a soft spot for him.

"Veritas, my dear-I need you to handle some things...

First, find out where the charming fellow in the mask is staying, and have a single green Rose sent to his bedside-no note. He wants to be mysterious, let the game begin, then.

She smiled. The dark green Rose that was her favorite-it came from her homeland, and was not in fact, on display at the party. Men always remarked how it matched the color of her eyes. She had no doubt it would get his attention. Its thorns were quite sharp though...

"Next, send a letter to the estate and the villa. Standard orders. Be firm, yet polite. But, no mercy to those found on those who trespass.

I do hope the ambassador has his papers in order...accidents happen, all the time..."

Veritas nodded, and left.

'Tala' spent a few moments regarding the indifferent stars under a pale half moon before heading back.

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: October 09, 2011, 07:08:12 am »

I'm no sir. Nikephoros is sufficient. And I presume that Tala is okay with you?

With the last sip of wine he placed the glass on of the tables.

I must leave you for now, I got some things to attend. If you excuse me..

Nikephoros left the woman and took off away from the garden. He noticed a man wearing a mask on his way out. He somehow stood out, since this party seemed to involve no costumes.
Another silly courtier, Nikephoros thought. This place is full of women and fools. This is quite stange for a court of a queen who prefers iron to silk. That is of no consequence to his plans. most of which involved long columns of men, horses and artillery moving across the Storm Coast.

Ever since this assigment started, Nikpehoros felt as if this was somehow bigger than anything previously done. This was partially because of the situation and partially because of his desire to make this a lat job. But unlike the previous wars and conflicts, ths could have been bigger and more terrible. And while his conscious self was tired of blood, his inner self, that young boy who read about battles and heroics, still longed for more sights and more war.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 220