Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 220

Author Topic: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast (Winter 416a)  (Read 231682 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You Are King II: Tales of the Storm Coast
« Reply #330 on: October 07, 2011, 07:09:31 am »

"It is good, isn't it? Have you found the missing eye? No? See, this soldier, you can see a glimpse of his face between the leaves, but he has no eye. I had finished the painting by the time I noticed, so I left it in. Perfection eludes us all. Oh, excuse me. I must talk with the host."

Hugo backs out of the group of guests surrounding his painting, and walks up to Tala. In an ironic echo of her own behaviour, he touches her lightly on the shoulder, and when she turns round, doffs his hat with a bow.

"My lady, allow me to apologize. I came expecting a minor function in an outdated style, but this- this is a truly fabulous party, and so modern! The music, wonderful, the food, exquisite, the drinks, marvellous. And the artwork, naturally, brilliant."
Long Live United Forenia!

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: October 07, 2011, 07:52:27 am »

Nikephoros bowed and begun:

My queen, as of now, my men are lodged in the royal barracks and right now are being briefed on working with your soldiers. As of myself, I wanted to inquire as to any potential enemies that you may see or want to expand the kingdom. My trade is war after all, and I can see that there is plenty of it ahead of us if you decide to go with your default course. I am not discouraging you by any means, simply reminding of the need to prepare.

I also wanted to ask about my specific status within your Majesty's army. Am I to consider myself a mere regiment leader, or am I allowed to take care of the royal troops as well? I've led armies on behalf of lords before, but I will be satisfied with whatever you may see suitable for me.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: October 07, 2011, 08:08:40 am »

'Tala' felt the hand on her shoulder-not rough, like a soldiers-nor soft, like an overstuffed noble. It was delicate...and forceful. Like an assassin...or an artist. Then again, she knew of only one person who it could be. So, she was able to guess his name before turning around. A neat little trick. One of her green sashed guards was already making his way carefully to her, not upsetting a single of one of her eyes and ears in the crowd, who were easily plucking salient information from the crowd like gold miners panning in a stream...

"Hugo...I'm glad to see you again.

I was not entirely convinced you would attend. I see know you are no fragile vase, to be hidden away in a cupboard or on a mantle-nay, you want to be be displayed in the sunlight like a Rose, to see and be seen, admired...and envied, yes?"

They were standing close together. In other circumstances...well, he was handsome, and it was indeed shame he had nothing to admire about the female body. This dress cost a fortune, but it had the intended affect on most men-awe.

"Ah, the party? Naturally, I would not display your works of art in any less style than that which I could afford.
The Alanis family, in it's days of glory, was known to hold parties far greater than even this-I have my family reputation to attend to, after all."

'Tala' nodded almost invisibly to a green sashed man, who was a few feet behind Hugo-it could almost have been a blink or a shrug-and he backed away, as silent as he had come. Lucky for Hugo-these sorts of guards didn't need weapons, you know.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 08:13:15 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: October 07, 2011, 08:22:14 am »

Kathos liked the party. It was quite original, but the baron liked it. The art itself was quite average, but since everything else pleased him, he could live with that. He was wearing his usual black and gold clothes, without a sword this time - bringing weapons to a party was quite foolish, in his opinion. He talked with the other guests for some time, barely looking at the paintings, but he did'nt find what he was looking for. There was many lesser nobles and a few merchants, but he did'nt find anybody holding lands. He wanted to talk either to William or the host. He started looking for them.

Try to find William or Tala

¤After the party, in Thunderblade's lands¤

"I should have seen it."

"It's not only your fault, sir. The mayor had said they had a few problems with paying the taxes, but he did'nt talk about the disease, or the bandits."

"I should have known, Adrian. I did'nt even investigate about their current economic status after that meeting. There's no excuse. However... It's not too late."

"Sir?"

Kathos and Adrian, his lieutenant, were talking. They were in Kathos's office. A letter was on the desk, open.

"Tell the soldiers we are leaving the estate within the hour. I do believe Retcyl's party is still in the estate. From what I have seen of that fool, he will probably try to solve the problems by himself. We'll find his troops and join him. We will fight the bandits together. I'll need to talk to him."

"Yes sir. Another thing... Retcyl sent another messenger, with a strange story... Apparently, the peasants believe there is a city where we could find a cure for the disease, but they don't remember which one. He's asking if we know."

"That's probably Shola. Bael used to tell me they were the best alchemists in this part of the Storm Coast. Send a messenger there, tell him to look for someone who could cure the disease... There will be a reward, of course."

And a few seconds later, Adrian was gone. Kathos started to look for his armor.

Meet with Retcyl and his force, bring the personnal guard. Send a messenger to look for someone in Shola who could cure the disease.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: October 07, 2011, 08:36:17 am »

Retcyl was at camp, readying his men to move. Soldier or follower, they had to appear as if they were leaving, which they really were.

"Karafs, have the men been briefed?"

"Yes ambassador; careful and cautious but ready to run or charge if needed."

"Good...Now have we received any messages?"

"The queen has sent something and we have received word Lord Kathos comes."

After reading the letter...

"Seems the queen doesn't want prisoners...Shame, oh well. They'll all have to be killed...Slitted in the night preferably."

"Yes ambassador."

A little while later, Thunderblade appeared with his regiment behind him. The only possible reasons were that Kathos had suddenly wanted to kill hatcuri, or he wanted to slay the bandits. Probably the latter.

"Ah, my lord, what brings you here? Received my message, yes? Any idea on this city the peasants speak of?"
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: October 07, 2011, 09:04:05 am »

Kathos did not salute the hatcuri when he saw him.

"I knew you would try to deal with the bandits alone, and I thought you might need some help. The city they were speaking about is probably Shola. I already sent someone there."

'Soldiers to watch you, and a loyal man to make sure no hatcuri will speak in the name of my peasants' he thought.

"Before we do anything, Retcyl, I must ask... Do you have a plan to deal with these bandits, and did you tell anyone about the situation of my parcels?

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: October 07, 2011, 09:06:17 am »

"I think you already know the answer to the first question Nikephoros, what with this being the storm coast. As for you being the General... Well, I do need someone experienced in large scale tactics so consider yourself styled as the General of Ligoria. Though I'll still be the one organizing the recruitment, if that's workable for you."
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: October 07, 2011, 09:53:57 am »

My queen, I am honored to be bestowed with this responsibility and I am more than happy with the proposed arrangement. Raising the army is a royal prerogative after all, and I would not dare to breach that.
If you allow me, I will spend now some time drawing up plans for Your Majesty's armies.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: October 07, 2011, 09:56:39 am »

"I expect that you'll get used to your new position. But before you leave, I would know what the price for your service is, considering your troops and such."

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: October 07, 2011, 10:41:56 am »

Offer sevices to the King Max yeskly sighs, then scratches his head. He got it! He will offer his services to the monarch. He will be paid well and he and his troops would be
rich!
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: October 07, 2011, 02:20:28 pm »

"..."

"Well, if the Alanis were known for parties like this, then I for one welcome their return to the spotlight. Should you ever need my services, you need but ask.
And envied? No, darling. I do not seek praise. I simply seek to share my brilliance with the world. What can I say, I am a generous person.
On that note, I shall let you return to your guests. Unlike you, many of these people seem to be ignorant of good taste, or the way of the modern world, and I should explain it to them. A thankless task, but I must do it nonetheless"

You have acquired: Hugo's Friendship.

The art itself was quite average
D:

Offer sevices to the King
[5] You set off to offer your services the Archbishop (?) of Moun. It happens that his holiness has a rare slot of free time, and can thus speak with you immediately. You are let into the small, plain chapel which serves as the throne room of Moun. The Archbishop, who in keeping with tradition gave up his name when ascending to the position, is kneeling by the altar when you enter.

"Can I help you, my son? Ah, you are the mercenary. I understand you seek employment? Know that Moun is a peaceful town, who does not seek to wage war upon its enemies, but rather to understand them and learn from them."

"Despite this, we do require a certain degree of military forces. Misguided bandits, and other criminals, must be brought into the light, but they speak only the language of the sword. We may be able to hire you for minor tasks such as these.

"Can you offer us this, mercenary? Would you be willing to be the shield of the faithful in these dark times?"

((Giving up your name when ascending to Archbishop is totally a legitimate thing, representing the fact that the Archbishop is a neutral figure, who does not bring his own life (and thus faith) into the ruling of Moun (which contains multiple religious groups). It is not just because I can't be bothered to make up a name))

Leave to the city-state directly north of Talama.
Discipline: [6] You have no problems keeping your soldiers in line. Indeed, they obey your orders without question. Food, money, and weapons aside, you don't think you will have any trouble commanding these soldiers at all from now on.

Action: [2] However, your journey is plagued with difficulties. The men hunger, and you have no knowledge of the region, and find yourself lost on more than one occasion. When you finally arrive at Shola, you find the people wary, distrustful, of your rag-tag soldiers.

Buy supplies and furniture and start revamping the warehouse into a restaurant to feed the peoples.
[3]Without money, there isn't much you can do with the place. You manage to scrape together some old tables and chairs from your followers, and move your sermons(?) into the warehouse, but it isn't very impressive, and it won't attract more converts.

Also, one of your converts asks you to remind him of the basics of your religion. Maybe a short summary of what it is?
Long Live United Forenia!

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: October 07, 2011, 03:07:03 pm »

"We'll teach them together, Hugo, that we will..."

'Tala' smiled as she watched the artist stalk off to harry some ancient looking critics who were clustering around the painting of the soldier. What an...interesting man, she thought. She would have to learn more about him. His habit of calling her 'darling' instead of her name, for instance. Was it an affectionate title? Or, a secret jest? Perhaps he inspired such curiosity in all those he met-the better to keep them guessing-so his air of mystery would never be diluted. That was a very useful skill in her true line of work.

She had been staring a bit long at him, when a few moments later, her thoughts were interrupted, as she heard her guard Vespius's voice in her ear...good man, that Vespius-as silent as a cat if he wanted to be, not even she had heard him approach.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Try to find William or Tala

[5] You spot Tala Alanis speaking with Hugo the Artist quietly, but apparently William hasn't arrived yet.

The artist stalks off to defend his paintings from some clueless art critics clustering around his work like crows, and one of the green sashed guards you've seen standing about whispers something in the womans ear-the next moment she turns to face you, idly awaiting your approach.
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: October 07, 2011, 04:16:45 pm »

"No one who did not have to, my lord. The only one here who had to know is you, and you know of the problems now. And as for the bandits I have sent messengers to look for them. They are to be hired and brought back here to be inspected. In the night, when they sleep, I plan to have their throats slit. It's dishonourble, but some people are never willing to forgive... "

It shamed Retcyl that had he had to use misdirection and confusion on Thunderblade, but Retcyl didn't know what he would do if he found out that the queen was alerted.

"As for this regiment*gestures to the camp* well we need to make it seem as if us hatcuri are leaving, thus making it easier to find these bandits...And use them on the bandits if they are less than persuaded."
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: October 07, 2011, 05:26:03 pm »

¤At the party¤

Kathos smiled at the lady as he approached.

"Lady Tala, I am delighted to finally meet you. I am Kathos Thunderblade - and I wanted to congratulate you. This party is truly magnificient."

He did'nt say anything else. First, the lord wanted to see if she knew who he was.

¤In the Hatcuri camp¤

[4] Kathos was nearly convinced Retcyl was lying. The hatcuri looked a little bit too nervous - but then again, Kathos was obviously angry and his forces were inside the hatcuri camp. That could be the reason why the lizard man looked like that. He decided to ask again, this time trying not to look like he was going to murder someone.

"Retcyl... I will need to know if anyone is informed. It might change everything I'll do in the following days. There will be no retaliation if you did it - but I need to know."

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: October 07, 2011, 05:49:55 pm »

Western Palace gardens:

Laythe looked onto the small crowd gathered here for Tala's party, making sure to keep her presense (And the presense of her bodyguards) minimal.

"Eh, just like every other event designed to attract nobles."
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 220