Low (PL6-8)
- 6 (9.8%)
Med (PL 10-12)
- 12 (19.7%)
High (PL 14-16)
- 7 (11.5%)

Total Members Voted: 34

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: STEAMPUNK M&M 2E GAME (OOC thread)  (Read 9855 times)

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: STEAMPUNK M&M 2E GAME (OOC thread)
« Reply #105 on: October 13, 2011, 10:45:57 am »

and get a bunch of toughness
The spreadsheet-based character builder i'm using keeps telling me that only constructs may boost toughness. what's up with that?

edit:link - http://www.westguard.org/index.php?title=MnM_Character_Builder
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
  • It wont bite....unless you are the sun.
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: October 13, 2011, 10:52:44 am »

It dun play by the rules, its a loose cannon. Or it might just be broken.

Personally I did my stuff by hand.

EDIT: You cant add directly to saves man...you get that stuff through feats, powers and abilities.
EDIT: Thats how you ended up with the will save over power limits too?
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 11:04:50 am by cerapa »

Tick, tick, tick the time goes by,
tick, tick, tick the clock blows up.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTITY:COUCH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: October 13, 2011, 02:38:45 pm »

You can buy up Saves directly; they're 1/rank. You still get the bonuses from your Abilities, of course, and some Powers and Feats add to them, in which case they all stack, but yeah. Also, that Will save doesn't break the PL; the limit on saves other than toughness is PL+5. For reference, that info is on 24-25 in the corebook; pretty handy couple of quick-ref charts, really, if you forget your maths or something.

Also, I'm not really sure how you're planning on getting a Strike 36 Aura power with 20 pp (or even with 44, if you're talking about treating Electrical Control and the base power in your Device as a single array, which is a whole different headache), but just going by the effects you're talking about, there are a couple things to keep in mind:
1) Aura is expensive; you have to treat the effect's duration as though it's been bought up to Sustained when you add up the cost, so a basic Strike Aura is 4/rank. (I used to think that having to pay for duration twice when you buy Auras is a bit odd, but since you're actually paying for the Aura's duration on top of the effect's duration I guess it makes sense. Plus you're essentially getting Reaction for free, so yeah.)
2) Auras are touch-range by definition, but Area Effect costs the same as Ranged, so it's pretty much a matter of hair-splitting. Although if you want to be able to control who gets zapped instead of just attacking everybody, you'll want Selective Attack, too. In which case your total is now 6/rank. Or 5, I suppose, if you want to take Fades.

Hope that helps!
Time Blossom cancels everything: NaNoWriMo

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: October 13, 2011, 03:16:20 pm »

Interesting. Seems I skipped some things bout saves.

Didnt find that about auras anywhere though. And dont power feats have a 1 pp cost rather than a modifier cost?

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: October 13, 2011, 05:08:26 pm »

If you're using the pdf version of the corebook, I think there's some errata that's missing as far as Auras go. In the uncorrected version, it only specifies that the power needs to be touch range, whereas in the update and the supplementary books it changes this to "touch range, sustained" and outlines the whole buying-separate-durations thing.

Also, power feats do indeed have a 1-point cost. If you're talking about the selective attack thing I mentioned, though, that's another system subtlety. Powers which don't require a save can have the Selective feat applied--this is for things like Communication, so you can control who gets a message, among other things. Powers which do require a save, on the other hand, require the Selective Attack extra if you want to be discriminating with who gets hit and who doesn't. Which is only really applicable for Area Effects; at least, I've never seen it used otherwise.

A funny exception is that Aura can have the feat, so you can control which parts of your body are covered by the aura instead of it being an all-or-nothing thing, although if you don't have a free action to swap this around and somebody grabs a currently-covered part they'll still get whammied. And of course, if you have Aura and Area Effect, you still need the extra.

cerapa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2011, 07:56:33 am »

Errata...

That really throws a wrench into that then. Expensive stuff. Cuts the 36 into a 9 even with all the flaws. Could get it up to 18 if I threw distracting on it too though.
Also, before, I wasnt referring to making it a ranged power, especially since that would go against the auras requirements, but the Extended Reach power feat that increases a touch powers range by 5 feet.

I am also suprised at reading the fixes, that they removed the rank limit for shapeshift, but didnt do the same for alternate form.

Time Blossom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2011, 06:24:16 pm »

Ah, right, Extended Reach. I actually have no idea how that would interact with an Aura. I think it would make sense to be able to grab a rank or two of it, personally, to represent short-range "danger zone" auras. Plus, Area Effect's coverage starts to get a bit silly since it's dependent on your power rank, so it makes sense to be able to fine-tune that a bit, too. And you'd still have to pay for Selective Attack, so it's not like the cost-break would be huge anyway.
*Shrug* GM's discretion, I suppose.

Also, yeah, that's weird about Alternate Form. They actually corrected that in Ultimate Power, at least, so I don't know why it's not in the core-book errata.

Anyway, off to Seattle for the weekend. See you all on Monday.

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2011, 10:58:02 pm »

and get a bunch of toughness
The spreadsheet-based character builder i'm using keeps telling me that only constructs may boost toughness. what's up with that?

edit:link - http://www.westguard.org/index.php?title=MnM_Character_Builder
It's based off Hero Lab.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: October 16, 2011, 09:25:33 am »

I think I've put those extra points to good use.
channel = #bay12lb

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: October 17, 2011, 09:31:35 am »

There's someone less in danger!

Are you going to flesh out the Sanguine's crew (as part of your backstory) or will you be leaving that bit up to me?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #115 on: October 17, 2011, 09:37:06 am »

Thought i'd point out Mythweaver does have a M&M sheet.

Here's a sample of it.  I don't know if the character I made is actually right, but I'm not joining, just showing the sheet.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: October 17, 2011, 05:45:56 pm »

Hubris: You don't have any defense. While this may not be a problem, toughness is your only way out. For a no extra DC attack, you need to roll a 10, if I skimmed correctly, to protect yourself from the damage.
KOTW: Thanks, dude.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: October 17, 2011, 05:56:37 pm »

Hubris: You don't have any defense. While this may not be a problem, toughness is your only way out. For a no extra DC attack, you need to roll a 10, if I skimmed correctly, to protect yourself from the damage.

I actually figured he'd be spending all that time not getting hit at all. He's a big winged man, he must have fragile avian bones! :P
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: October 17, 2011, 10:19:26 pm »

There's someone less in danger!

Are you going to flesh out the Sanguine's crew (as part of your backstory) or will you be leaving that bit up to me?
It was meant to be a snide reference to Serenity... :)

do with it what you will...
channel = #bay12lb

Koliup

• Bay Watcher
  • Vae Victus!
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: October 17, 2011, 11:00:08 pm »

I actually figured he'd be spending all that time not getting hit at all. He's a big winged man, he must have fragile avian bones! :P
Fragile avian bones made of wrought iron. He's gonna punch down walls for us. Or use Clock as a club of sorts.
We get free airship rides?
http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=338174 <- Yessss.
EDIT: Fixed.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 05:31:23 pm by Koliup »
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9