Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: D.O.R.F: S.U.B.W.A.Y. Transportation System  (Read 3463 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
D.O.R.F: S.U.B.W.A.Y. Transportation System
« on: September 22, 2011, 09:01:25 pm »

Dwarves Overcoming Ridiculous Failures: Subterranean Underground Bus-like Warrior Aerial Yelling transportation system.

(I like acronyms, don't you?)

Anyways, the D.O.R.F. S.U.B.W.A.Y. is an idea for a transport system that involves using "controlled" cave-in dust to propel dwarves across a moat into battle (or whatever). I've been doing some arena testing, though, and the results have been less than promising: The dwarves fly a tile forward and fall down. Any ideas of how to improve it?

Design I've been using:
Code: [Select]
WXW
WDW
W=wall
D=dwarf
. = open space (moat)
X=where chunk of stone lands
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: D.O.R.F: S.U.B.W.A.Y. Transportation System
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2011, 09:06:44 pm »

!!SCIENCE!! anyone?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2011, 09:15:12 pm »

Creative use of timing mechanisms may yield results, as cave-ins are instant and so are pressure plates.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 09:19:25 pm »

Consider using pressurized water to wash your warriors in to battle.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2011, 09:22:40 pm »

Pressurized water is the EXACT OPPOSITE of what you need.  It doesn't move anything.  Only water that's changing in depth will cause pushing, so depressurized water will work.  But it can't achieve any real momentum.  It can push a soldier off a 1Z cliff and into the face of a siege, but it can't push them over a moat or anything.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2011, 09:24:45 pm »

If that works, the next logical step is magma and bauxite slabs to have our candy-coated military surf into battle against the clowns.
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2011, 09:27:36 pm »

Admirable, but armor doesn't appear to protect against fire at all.

That said, if you pre-burn your military a bit, then the fat melts off safely and future fire is less dangerous.  It's possible, but not advised, to surf out on magma.  Still, it must be done.

squeakyReaper

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Cheese maker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2011, 09:27:44 pm »

Huh, thought it'd work. I'll have to take your word for it, you have a history of being right.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2011, 09:32:38 pm »

If that works, the next logical step is magma and bauxite slabs to have our candy-coated military surf into battle against the clowns.
You're talking about logic when you're having bearded midgets on a piece of rock hurling towards unspeakable monsters with the only thing protecting him from a colossal mass of magma is his armor?

I think DORFY is the proper term.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2011, 10:11:12 pm »

No one can figure out my original idea, or a closeish approximation?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Tevish Szat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:diabolical schemes]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2011, 10:27:50 pm »

According to the wiki, dust throws a couple tiles, knocks unconscious, and gives a bad thought.  it's wonderfully unspecific in the number of tiles thrown.  If it's predictable in degree and direction, you should be able to use pressure plates to chain-react caveins, tossing your unconscious dwarf as far as you want.  It'll take much longer to set up, and probably need to be manually reset, but the idea of lightspeed dust-propelled dwarf-mover is... appealing.  ‼Science‼ (possibly in the arena) will be needed to see if we can control how far a victim flies.

At the very least, you should be able to chain it as long as you want as long as there's a minimum throw distance, and you have your victim hit a wall and go down a z level every cave-in

X☺►►►▼|
|▼◄◄☻X

and so on.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2011, 10:31:32 pm by Tevish Szat »
A medium-sized humanoid fond of fantasy and science-fiction.

Tevish Szat likes books, computers, board games, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, he prefers to consume hamburgers and macaroni and cheese. He needs caffeine to get through the working day.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 11:05:43 pm »

Cave-in dust is also one of the most lethal forces in the game.  Any concentrated attempt to hurl dwarves via cave-in will result in armor-plated sludge hitting the ground, as their bones have been broken so much as to be liquid and several limbs have been removed.  Therefore, it's highly encouraged that all prototypes be elf-powered.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2011, 02:04:30 am »

I think you may have better luck with an elevator system of retractable bridges, though that doesn't solve the issue of horizontal transportation.
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 06:17:22 am »

I think you may have better luck with an elevator system of retractable bridges, though that doesn't solve the issue of horizontal transportation.
But then I can't control direction.

Cave-in dust is also one of the most lethal forces in the game.  Any concentrated attempt to hurl dwarves via cave-in will result in armor-plated sludge hitting the ground, as their bones have been broken so much as to be liquid and several limbs have been removed.  Therefore, it's highly encouraged that all prototypes be elf-powered.
Really? In the arena, the worst that happened was a few broken feet and stuff like that...and a dragon, two cavies, and a dwarf landing in a tangled heap...
And I was thinking of cat-power. Arena testing showed that a dwarf, two cavies (the lightest creatures in the game), and a dragon (the heaviest creature in the game) fell into the exact same square, so I doubt that weight is an issue.
Sig

Varnifane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2011, 09:09:47 am »

Can't you make raising bridge based dwarfapult?
I regret to inform the community that the mass murder of puppies does not create a viable clock.
I don't know if you need other ideas when you have magma.
Pages: [1] 2