Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39

Author Topic: CERN has accidentally the everything.  (Read 63926 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: CERN has accidentally the everything.
« Reply #315 on: November 18, 2011, 11:11:30 am »

Why isn't anything supposed to move faster than light anyway?  :-X

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: November 18, 2011, 11:17:13 am »

Because time starts flowing sideways if that happens.

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: November 18, 2011, 11:18:04 am »

Basically, the biggest justification that I've heard is causality. Basically (as far as I know), no matter what frame of reference they're in, everyone must at least have the ability to notice the cause of something before they can notice the effect. Basically, since light is the fastest thing in the universe and nothing goes faster that we can really sense, if something goes faster than the speed of light, that means someone in the direction it's travelling could possibly see the effect (the object moving) before the cause (whatever got the object moving) which breaks causality.
Nothing important here, move along.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: November 18, 2011, 11:24:22 am »

That, and the effects of mass/energy interchange. As an object gains kinetic energy (i.e. gets faster), there is an exponential increase in its mass. As it approaches light speed, this rate of mas increases tends to infinity - in other words, causing an object to go at lightspeed would mean you had to move an object which was in posession of an infinite mass, requiring an infinite amout of force (infinite amout of work done), which is just silly.
This is a blank sig.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: November 18, 2011, 11:33:35 am »

Lots of things go faster than the speed of light. Just, you know, nothing you can measure or send messages with, or anything that has real mass. Theoretical particles like tachyons do, though. ('course since we can't measure them or anything, the question arises if they really exist or are just something we made up to explain weird behavior, heh)
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: November 18, 2011, 02:36:55 pm »

I don't buy backwards time travel for anything from faster than light.
It seemed to me when Einstein was providing examples, he was deliberately not stating that things travel in time, but only our perception of the event changes and the rate of entropy slows down.
He never gives any examples that I could see that has an object departing before it left.
It's a tree falling in the woods making a sound if you pay attention or not, is what it seems he says. Sort of the opposite of the poor cat in the box.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: November 18, 2011, 03:01:56 pm »

Basically, the biggest justification that I've heard is causality. Basically (as far as I know), no matter what frame of reference they're in, everyone must at least have the ability to notice the cause of something before they can notice the effect. Basically, since light is the fastest thing in the universe and nothing goes faster that we can really sense, if something goes faster than the speed of light, that means someone in the direction it's travelling could possibly see the effect (the object moving) before the cause (whatever got the object moving) which breaks causality.

I don't see what the issue with that is. If we use neutrinos to go faster then the speed of light that only bumps up the fastest way of getting information correct? causality is fine?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: November 18, 2011, 03:15:51 pm »

Using the speed of light as the constant in all the equations in relativity (of which I know little) gets results that match up pretty damn well with observations, so there's that. I think the reasoning for it probably has something to do with photons being a particle that mediates a fundamental force (electromagnetism), and you can actually calculate an exact value for it from that instead of having to rely on observation. Because I think it's not that the speed of photons sets a limit, it's that there's a limit that photons (and, I think, the particles for the other forces as well, but don't quote me on that) travel at. Anyway, I don't think there's any particular reason for neutrinos to travel at that limit, much less above it.

Feh, physics gets further away into my past with every year. Physics students, correct the hell out of my ramblings, please.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: November 18, 2011, 03:34:56 pm »

The theory of relativity predicts this, and most if not all of the observations made through the theory of relativity is based off of it. If things travel faster than the speed of light, the theory of relativity has a flaw, which means all the subsequent explanations have flaws as well.

And why is it then so hard to abandon relativity? Because through the observations made through relativity, other equally puzzling phenomena can be explained. For instance, at a quantum mechanical level the concept of electron spin is not explained until you use relativistic observations. And we're pretty damn sure we're on target with electron spin. So how could a faulty method give us the right answers?

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: November 18, 2011, 03:36:10 pm »

The theory of relativity predicts this, and most if not all of the observations made through the theory of relativity is based off of it. If things travel faster than the speed of light, the theory of relativity has a flaw, which means all the subsequent explanations have flaws as well.

And why is it then so hard to abandon relativity? Because through the observations made through relativity, other equally puzzling phenomena can be explained. For instance, at a quantum mechanical level the concept of electron spin is not explained until you use relativistic observations. And we're pretty damn sure we're on target with electron spin. So how could a faulty method give us the right answers?

We have a Mr Isaac Newton to see you.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: November 18, 2011, 03:43:35 pm »

Exactly, this is why everything is so exciting and worth a big uproar. These things have happened before, most notably and recently the move from classical to quantum mechanics. That move gave us tremendous insight into how the world works and explained a host of things we never could explain before. Maybe we will now be forced to move from special relativity to.... Special special relativity? VIP relativity? :P

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: November 18, 2011, 03:44:52 pm »

Does that stand for "Very Improbable Particle"? :P
« Last Edit: November 18, 2011, 03:46:27 pm by Darvi »

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: November 18, 2011, 03:46:17 pm »

Exactly, this is why everything is so exciting and worth a big uproar. These things have happened before, most notably and recently the move from classical to quantum mechanics. That move gave us tremendous insight into how the world works and explained a host of things we never could explain before. Maybe we will now be forced to move from special relativity to.... Special special relativity? VIP relativity? :P

I've got little to no real understanding of physics; however, I was pointing out that Newtonian physics is still used when there is no need for quantum physics or relativity.
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: November 18, 2011, 03:51:48 pm »

Yea, you dont need relativity unless you are dealing with the very big or very fast. SImilarly you dont need quantum unless you deal with the very small or very close. So in all probability should these measurements pass further scrutiny and move beyond doubt (some way to go there though), all that will happen is a specialized theory to explain the behavour will be developed which probably wont reconcile with quantum mechanics or relativity, making it even harder for those of us working in Physics to come up with a GUT (grand unified theory)...
This is a blank sig.

Miggy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: November 18, 2011, 03:56:09 pm »

Yea, you dont need relativity unless you are dealing with the very big or very fast. SImilarly you dont need quantum unless you deal with the very small or very close. So in all probability should these measurements pass further scrutiny and move beyond doubt (some way to go there though), all that will happen is a specialized theory to explain the behavour will be developed which probably wont reconcile with quantum mechanics or relativity, making it even harder for those of us working in Physics to come up with a GUT (grand unified theory)...

Any explanation won't be an explanation until it reconciles with both classical and quantum mechanics, as well as special relativity. It would basically be saying "A wizard did it".
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 39