Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More choices for civilization location in world generation  (Read 1371 times)

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
More choices for civilization location in world generation
« on: September 18, 2011, 01:33:04 pm »

I'm assuming civs don't spawn(it's in the entity file, I know) in savage areas to keep from dyeing, but that limits the game too much. If the AIs or the stats for creatures are generally too weak, well, they should be boosted to survive and thrive in dangerous biomes. I understand that no civ wants to spawn in an evil area and wake every day to the smell of rotting flesh limping down the street, but savagery alone should be passable. Ultimately, the average joe creature is too weak, the balance, or simply range, of most creature civs and  beasts should lean to the powerful side. The game would benefit from less "mulch" creatures and more super creatures civilization-wise. It would make much more sense anyways for these civs to be strong, or all that they created in world gen is a damn farce.

What this topic comes down to, is that there needs to be a more lax approach to site building in the world generation. I understand Dwarves don't spawn in mountains if they are close to the sea and they certainly have the means to desalinate water, for instance.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More choices for civilization location in world generation
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2011, 04:29:09 pm »

Right now the limitations are there because the game has nothing in place to keep it in check nor is it sophisticated enough to really vary civilisations by location.

I fully suspect in the future we will have Arctic, desert, and jungle civilisations.

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2011, 04:30:47 pm »

Is there something I can do in the files to cause Dwarves to try to settle in savage areas?

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2011, 04:06:08 am »

No.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2011, 04:42:54 am »

I understand that no civ wants to spawn in an evil area and wake every day to the smell of rotting flesh limping down the street, but savagery alone should be passable. Ultimately, the average joe creature is too weak, the balance, or simply range, of most creature civs and  beasts should lean to the powerful side. The game would benefit from less "mulch" creatures and more super creatures civilization-wise. It would make much more sense anyways for these civs to be strong, or all that they created in world gen is a damn farce.

Why? There are enough low-to-medium-savagery areas that civilized races are more than viable even if they can't thrive in the high-savagery ones.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2011, 05:32:20 am »

Why? There are enough low-to-medium-savagery areas that civilized races are more than viable even if they can't thrive in the high-savagery ones.

I probably don't make sense.

I'm just saying that Dwarves and Humans shouldn't fear big pussycats and scorpions enough to not take that land.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2011, 11:12:24 am »

It should be possible for civs in world gen to effect they're environment in some ways. Taming a savage environment is one example, but there could be others. For instance, extensive logging could result in deforestation (angering any elves that live nearby, of course..).

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2011, 03:48:35 pm »

It should be possible for civs in world gen to effect they're environment in some ways. Taming a savage environment is one example, but there could be others. For instance, extensive logging could result in deforestation (angering any elves that live nearby, of course..).

Doesn't deforestation already occur around human and dwarven settlements?
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Lord Zack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2011, 09:09:54 am »

Doesn't deforestation already occur around human and dwarven settlements?

Does that actually affect the biome? Or does it extended beyond the bounds of the settlement itself?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2011, 09:28:01 am »

To be fair, I'm thinking of versions prior to the establishment of large civilization settlements, back when they only had single towns inside single regional squares. Things may have changed since then.