Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Mysticism  (Read 1070 times)

Matheld

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Mysticism
« on: September 17, 2011, 01:51:20 pm »

It would be cool if each civilization had a randomly generated mystical tradition based off real world ones.
I would also love to see mystical orders like the Rosicrucians, they could horde secrets from one and other etc.

Brightgalrs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mysticism
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 02:39:14 pm »

Scapulimancy  :o

Agorp Stronden

• Bay Watcher
  • Dead by Dawn
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 02:42:10 pm »

Mysticism, occultism... each civilization should eventually spawn multiple cults and orders to lesser deities, and perhaps certain rogue groups, similar to the WayWard Warlords 8), can worship wholly separate godlyhoods. This leads well into rogue clerical groups and sorcerers.

http://www.the-spoiler.com/RPG/New.World.Computing/might..magic.6.1/mm6#ns_gw

M&M 6 had great many cults.

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 05:26:29 pm »

We allready have cults, all dwarves worship one or two gods. It could use some more in-game effects though, perhaps requiring altars and a worship-job, or making dwarves hate dwarves who worship rival gods, fun things like that.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 07:02:15 pm »

We allready have cults, all dwarves worship one or two gods. It could use some more in-game effects though, perhaps requiring altars and a worship-job, or making dwarves hate dwarves who worship rival gods, fun things like that.

Those arn't Cults exactly.

Though to admit one of the problems with the game is that religion is VERY focused on single dieties even when it is obvious that diety is part of a pantheon. Not saying that someone shouldn't have a patron/matron diety, but the game makes it seem like each god is an entirely different religion onto itself.

Pantheons SHOULD be stated and named in my oppinion.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2011, 08:37:14 pm »

Those arn't Cults exactly.

Though to admit one of the problems with the game is that religion is VERY focused on single dieties even when it is obvious that diety is part of a pantheon. Not saying that someone shouldn't have a patron/matron diety, but the game makes it seem like each god is an entirely different religion onto itself.

Pantheons SHOULD be stated and named in my oppinion.

Maybe similar gods could be put into a sort of sub-pantheon. For instance, in ancient Rome not everyone worshiped all the gods equally, eg. a soldier focuses on Mars and a scholar on Minerva, IIRC. That sort of thing would make more sense than everyone worshiping everything.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2011, 09:44:53 pm »

Maybe similar gods could be put into a sort of sub-pantheon

Well we already have civs starting off with their own pantheon from the getgo. Those can remove, incorperate, or possibly create dieties into them.

The only time I'd understand a war between members of the same religion based on their patron diety would be if it some sort of evil god that while part of the pantheon was never meant to be worshipped.

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2011, 10:11:36 pm »

Or you know stuff like a certain Martin Luther coming along to initiate the reformation and by doing that dividing the church into Lutherans and Katholics (and many less prominent sects)?
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2011, 10:16:49 pm »

The game already dose that to an extent, if you read legends each civ has a list of gods, religious beasts, and forces of nature.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2011, 11:27:37 pm »

The game already dose that to an extent, if you read legends each civ has a list of gods, religious beasts, and forces of nature.

I am aware, they just don't seem to treat them as a pantheon and more like a random bunch of gods that coincidently are in a civilisation.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 11:20:43 am »

Priesthood and organized religion are planned for future versions. Think of them as like nobles, except everyone who happens to follow a certain god wants chairs and a meeting room.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2011, 12:21:26 pm »

Priesthood and organized religion are planned for future versions. Think of them as like nobles, except everyone who happens to follow a certain god wants chairs and a meeting room.

I just hope that more pantheonic religion structures are created >_>

catoblepas

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes catoblepi for their haunting moos
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2011, 05:19:25 pm »

Some pantheon overlap would be interesting. Perhaps a god could be worship in two different pantheons or even by different species. A human and dwarven civilization might both worship a god of wealth, but the dwarves see him as being represented as a cave swallow, while the humans see him represented as a bull, etc. They might even attribute them with different spheres. The dwarven version might be associated with wealth and gems, and the human one with wealth and war, for instance. Depending on Civ religious tolerance and the similarities between the two deity versions, common worship might be a common ground bringing cooperation and trade between two civs, or might even be grounds for war. (humans send an army to put down the dwarven outpost that worships what they see as a 'corrupted' form of their god) I think diffusion of gods between cultures would be very interesting. The dwarven pantheon at world start might be very different then it might be after 200 years of world generation. perhaps some sort of [RELIG_TOLERANCE:ACCEPTABLE] sort of tag for how much civs resist or welcome worship of outside religions. Perhaps there could also be some sort of tag that determines if civs will send missionaries to convert other civs. Something like [SENDS_MISSIONARIES:2] for how aggressive they are during world gen, and perhaps something like [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_MISSIONARIES:3] to determine when they start showing up in fortress mode. (probably one or two with each caravan, possibly determined by the SEND_MISSIONARIES tag?) They'd wander around and try to change the religion of individual dwarves using the various conversation-oriented skills. you could throw them out/kill them, but that might cause a hit to your relations with their parent civ. Letting them do there thing might cause their civ to like you more, but could cause internal strife and possibly damage your relations with your parent civ, depending on what the RELIG_TOLERANCE tag is set to. Interactions with caravans, missionaries, etc could lead to humans/elves/(goblins?!?) wanting to establish a trading post/town/embassy in your fort (which you could build, designate and furnish, of course) I think making religion have more of an impact on dwarves in general is the key here. right now it barely does anything. We need proper pantheons, religious wars, missionaries, temples, heretics, etc to make it more interesting.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2011, 05:44:33 pm »

WHOA! Text wall...

Urist McCheeseMaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2011, 06:44:35 pm »

Not [RELIG_TOLERANCE:ACCEPTABLE]... [RELIG_TOLERANCE:0:30:45:50:55:70:100]. Each civ of a certain race should have its own religious tolerance based on, probably, a racial tag. Some would adapt a lot, others not so much. And yet others, not at all.
Pages: [1] 2