Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Steam Weekend Sale (Mount & Blade 50% off, Magicka Collection 75% off)  (Read 1585 times)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, probably any steam user knows by now, but thought it was too good to pass up.

All 3 Mount & Blade games are 75% off today. That's less than $13 for the whole bunch. Thought I point this out since M&B seems to be a well recommended game around these parts.

BTW, Portal is free until the 20th, so anyone who doesn't have it yet hurry and make your steam account and "buy" it, even if you don't intend to install it, so it gets permanently associated with your account.

NOTE: IF YOU GET PORTAL YOU CAN PLAY ANY MODS REQUIRING THE SOURCE SDK.

EDIT: Oh, Mirror's Edge is also 75% off if you like that sort of game.

UPDATE: Magicka Collection today at 75%, that's $6.24. I'm going to get it since I heard nice things about it in Bay12, hopefully it'll be a fun game. Maybe we can swap Steam accounts later to play multiplayer stuff :D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 05:07:17 pm by Sergius »

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Weekend Sale (Mount & Blade)
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2011, 01:57:22 pm »

Awesome, I just bought Warband for a friend since he liked Fire&Sword. I hope he likes this one better even though it doesn't have guns or hussars (he's obsessed with hussars =p )

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2011, 02:01:25 pm »

Many Paradox games are on sale this weekend.  I'm thinking of getting Supreme Ruler: Cold War myself.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2011, 04:38:40 pm »

I got Fire and Sword on a whim, and I've started to get back into Warband but it seems I have a lower capacity for its bullshit lately so it's harder to play.  I used to play it masochistically, I hate it and it hates me but I couldn't stop, now when bullshit happens I just stop.

I guess I should elaborate a bit.  The way the game is designed you can never be truly ruined.  Even if all your lands are sacked and you lose your title and everyone hates you, you can recover.  The game developers seem to feel that since you can recover from anything, it's okay to make the game really unforgiving.  One loss is all it takes to completely reverse your fortunes.  Think long and hard before you click the "No quitting without saving" button.

Another thing that's kind of a minor gripe is that the economy's kind of odd.  It scales up so rapidly that once you're high level anything other than high-volume commodity trading and conquest is basically a waste of time money-wise.  If you don't bet on yourself you'll get 200 gold for winning a tournament.  Once you're good enough to consistently win tournaments 200 gold has about as much worth as a high five.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2011, 06:00:29 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2011, 09:04:57 pm »

Buy Fire and Sword, it is awesome in multiplayer. Big sieges with 80 - 160 players are loads of fun. I promise to shoot each of you personally in the face with a musket if you get it now! Woo woo!

I just enjoy the tactical aspect of WFaS multiplayer very much. Mainly, firearms. One shot from a musket kills you unless you are extremely lucky or wearing heavy armor. Reloading a musket takes a long time. So you can't just spray and pray, you need to be smart when to shoot. In the chaos of mass combat, it is just very satisfying to drop a lancer at full gallop from miles away.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2011, 02:55:07 am »

I got Fire and Sword on a whim, and I've started to get back into Warband but it seems I have a lower capacity for its bullshit lately so it's harder to play.  I used to play it masochistically, I hate it and it hates me but I couldn't stop, now when bullshit happens I just stop.

For this point I say don't play Propehsy of Pendor then... You need a lot (and I mean A LOT) of Lube when you play this game.

But for you Economy point, I would like to say as a Economy Tester for the PoP mod. *which I need to get off my arse and do again* The recent patches to the main game have messed around with it a bit... 
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Lord Snow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2011, 03:48:23 am »

got it.

i'm a little annoyed tho that the expansions are standalone instead of building on to the existing world. i like my sandboxes unified.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2011, 02:53:23 pm »

Hmm, I didn't thought I'd get hooked, but I bought it anyway.
Boy, was I wrong.

Never thought muskets could be so much fun.
As soon as I get some more bullets, I won't carry a melee weapon anymore.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2011, 03:21:37 pm »

I'm thinking of getting Supreme Ruler: Cold War myself.

Can you build brand new ocean derricks yet?

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2011, 04:05:37 pm »

I dunno.

Supreme Ruler: Cold War is only 20% off, I'll wait and see if they make it cheaper in the future.  I just bought four games after all!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2011, 05:00:02 pm »

Protip:  Don't play Native Expansion for Warband.  It removes Looters and replaces them with Mercenary Warbands which, difficulty-wise, are somewhere between Caravans and weak noble armies.  Basically it's impossible to get on your feet because there are literally no enemies your low level company can beat without a 4-1 numerical advantage.
Shoes...

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2011, 11:21:26 am »

Protip:  Don't play Native Expansion for Warband.  It removes Looters and replaces them with Mercenary Warbands which, difficulty-wise, are somewhere between Caravans and weak noble armies.  Basically it's impossible to get on your feet because there are literally no enemies your low level company can beat without a 4-1 numerical advantage.
Protip: There are looters still on the map, and Mountain bandits and etc. They are just being killed by the mercs. Get to the quick.
Protip: The Exp you gain is larger then any other do as much damage as you can safely, crossbow is your friend.
Protip: Chargers. They Hurt more then Lances sometimes...
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Weekend Sale (Mount & Blade 50% off, Magicka Collection 75% off)
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2011, 10:21:28 pm »

Question: How come Mount & Blade original runs fine, but Warband runs like slow crap?

I'd ask on their forums, but apparently Steam doesn't believe in giving you the correct Serial Key...

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2011, 12:55:48 am »

Bleh, Looters were never any good for experience anyways. Groups of 10+ are a challenge for a single, low-level player; if you have even a few soldiers, no Looter group is a threat. Seriously, I have to ask where these looters come from, when an untrained, freshly-recruited peasant can beat them 2v1. Meanwhile, your horse allows you to kite indefinitely (rocks are practically harmless), so you can pick them off with ranged weapons or slice them apart with melee hit-and-run attacks.

Besides, having an enemy somewhere between caravans and noble armies would be a good thing. Native has a pretty darn big gap between the point that average-sized bandit groups start fleeing in terror, and the point where full-size noble forces (or, worse, multiple nobles at once!) become feasible with acceptable casualties.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Weekend Sale (Mount & Blade 50% off, Magicka Collection 75% off)
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2011, 10:09:46 am »

Looters are possibly the bottom of the barrel here. If you manage to capture, you have to spend 40d just to turn them into a bandit. Bandits are also crap, 40d turns them into a recruit or tribesman, which is the BASE unit that you can recruit. Even peasant women and farmers are a better catch than a looter.

For comparison, it only takes about 10d to get a recruit, and about 10d or 20d to train them to the next tier. So in effect, capturing looters or bandits for recruiting makes you lose money.
Pages: [1] 2