Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 46

Author Topic: The Saga of Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (spoilers + image heavy)  (Read 159371 times)

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
Re: Weatherwires: Children of Dwarves (slight spoilers)
« Reply #165 on: October 25, 2011, 11:57:16 am »

The trolls have slowed their destruction. In the absence of any resistance, they seem content to take their time. So far, seven ghosts have risen, and five have been put down. The two who remain do not appear on the memorial engraving menu, but luckily, relatively harmless - one is a restless haunt, and the other is a secretive poltergeist. One of the others that returned from the grave was of the murderous variety. If that one had not appeared on the menu, it would have spelled a slow, inevitable death for the entire fort.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2011, 12:02:19 pm by DS »
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: October 25, 2011, 07:29:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Litast Lanlariden Assarmerig Lelum, Swordmaster has died of old age.

Litast Birdspaddled, who would later become known by her earned title, the Circumstantial Clarity of Waning, settled in Weatherwires in 129. As captain of the Silvery Princesses (the fortress' swordsdwarf squad), she was the most skilled with a sword - however, for some reason, she never wielded one into combat after a certain point in her career, preferring instead to bash her enemies senseless with her shield, while her squadmates made for the kill.

Now she has died, at the age of 157, undoubtedly one of the oldest dwarves still remaining.

However, her body was not immediately interred. I quickly discovered the problem - the various unused coffins in the dome had been 'claimed' by the exhumed dead still on the surface. Rather than build rows and rows of empty coffins, it has been decided that all dwarves, upon death, shall be cast into the heart of the earth from whence they came, to be one with the molten rock, and have a slab engraved in their memory.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: October 25, 2011, 10:33:30 pm »

I love the air of slow decline and death your stories have; they instill in my mind images of a civilization simultaneously great and doomed to die through tangible tragedies, like Litast's death, tragedies not the fault of dwarven action but merely the inherent failures of their existence. I have in my mind a vision of solemn and nobles dwarves going about the hallowed business of preserving the spark of civilization inherited from their long-gone forefathers, even as the filthy trolls despoil the very tombs that represent their connection to the past (and their near-futures).
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: October 26, 2011, 01:18:44 am »

Indeed, this story turned out to be much more of a tragedy than I ever intended it to be. The unexpected factors that come into play while playing DF really make the game what it is, though, IMHO. I can feel things slowly winding down, although I intend to have the fort last at least until the next update is released (believe it or not, this was my original pre-embark goal).

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: October 26, 2011, 02:33:43 am »

Incidentally, would it be impossible to assemble a small group of the best military dwarves to fight for the surface and keep the old tombs purged of goblin filth, or alternately sequester a few old dwarves to bear arms for the defense of the sepulchres? A small amount of military training, door manipulation, and picked battles can occasionally skew the battle in favor of the dwarves, after all, and it might assure a fiercer end for those of Litast's ilk.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: October 26, 2011, 02:57:13 am »

Maybe I should make a bug report...
Yes, you should.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: October 26, 2011, 06:36:31 am »

This is Dwarf Fortress at it's best.
Imagination + A bug (Only in DF!) + Random factor = Great Story!

This is fun to read, and I have kind of awesome feeling when picturing this in my mind.
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: October 26, 2011, 10:17:56 am »

There's still plenty of military left, and every one of them is Legendary in practically every combat skill (except for weapon skills, most are only Legendary in one). As it stands, something will have to be done about the trolls, in any case, since they're just milling about the up/down staircase leading through the sepulchers, and not actually doing anything. It'll give me a chance to repair and "troll-proof" the sealed passage, too.

The magma has drained low enough now for all of the exterior walkways are completely accessible. The fortress now appears to be a series of free-standing structures with canals of molten rock running between. Pretty cool, so I think I'll wait a while before continuing the next stage of drainage.

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: October 26, 2011, 11:36:45 pm »

One of the several side passages that lead from the surface to the dome, previously walled up, was opened, and two dwarves rushed through the claustrophobic, labyrinthine mines to meet the trolls in combat. Two dwarves... Vabôk Earthenfins the Tight Mechanisms of Whirling, and Libash Dippedurns the Ageless Deep of Rhymes. Both are the last survivors of a brutal experiment which took place during the early years of Weatherwires. A group of fresh immigrants in 148 were enlisted into the military, and - to their dismay, I'm sure - equipped with large iron daggers which had been scrounged from goblin thieves. During 149, Libash distinguished herself as a troll-killer, using weapon she later named the Languishing Daggers. Vabôk, however, has a more distinguished record - in 151, 152, and 153, he slew the mountain titan, the plains titan, and a cyclops, respectively. After his third kill, he was named militia commander, and has remained so ever since. With only Libash to train with, the two became legendary knife-users, then legendary wrestlers, and then legendary speardwarves. The two currently wield two artifact adamantine spears (both have over sixty kills), to great effect:

Needless to say, they made quick work of the trolls.

The rest of the military moved to secure the fort's primary entrance, while the civilians went about the work of hauling corpses down into the dome. Since the dwarves were already up there, I didn't see any reason why they wouldn't deconstruct all the coffins in the upper fort and transfer the dead into the dome. Also, I am in the process of sealing the windmill farm, as well as fixing the new dome entrance so that it is troll-proof:

Since up/down staircases and grates do not 'hold' magma (it always recedes into the empty space beneath), this area can be filled with magma, then drained, and be accessible to foot traffic the moment it is cleared without having to wait for the molten rock to dry. When the caldera fills, anything the trolls might be able to destroy will be below the surface of the magma. The blue door at at the end of the grate walkway is Syrupsever, a nether-cap door, beyond which is the passage to the dome.

I am currently deliberating on what to do about the duke's tomb:

It is a side chamber adjoining the highest ledge of what was once the quarters of duke, during Weatherwires' heyday. Now, it is a lonely place, barely travelled, even by the duke's widow, and seems forgotten by the dwarves.

The statue before the tomb is an exceptionally designed image of Kogsak Murdershot the dwarf and dwarves in marble by Domas 'Murdershot' Tanineth. The dwarves are refusing Kogsak Murdershot. Kogsak Murdershot is making a submissive gesture. The artwork relates to the fall of the dwarf Kogsak Murdershot from the position of duke of the Diamond Cloisters in the midwinter of 135.

Kogsak was removed from the position of duke when he was stricken with melancholy during the great tantrum spiral of that year. He starved to death later that winter.

The problem here is that, unlike the various other coffins in the upper fort, the duke's tomb cannot be deconstructed. Tombs cannot be assigned to dead dwarves, so his resting place must remain where it is, unless he is to be interred into the vast rows of coffins being constructed in the dome. However, his tomb may then be despoiled by trolls when they next arrive, so something must be done about the situation.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2011, 01:19:20 am by DS »

Kogut

• Bay Watcher
  • Next account: Bulwersator
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: October 27, 2011, 02:21:48 am »

AFAIK you can remove tomb and dwarves will move body to new coffin.
The worst bug - 34.11 poll
Kogut, the Bugfixes apostle of Bay12forum. Every posts he makes he preaches about the evil of Bugs.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: October 27, 2011, 05:16:40 am »

Yeah, but you can't make a tomb out of it. It'd just be like a normal burial casket or sarcophagus and this noble obviously deserves better than to be removed to some burial spot that couldn't even be designated properly as his. Even if you'd mine a proper larger room for the guy.

Maybe you could just seal the tomb with a wall?

Also, damn you for making me want to play a 'Last Dwarves' setting.
This is some good stuff. Hope you figure out how to fix the no-breeding thing, or at least go down in some glorious manner.

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: October 27, 2011, 06:20:37 am »

could do it, youde have to do it on a one by one dorf basis, and forbid the noble dead guys body etc.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!

furlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: October 27, 2011, 08:25:47 am »

Stuff like this is why DF is one of the greatest games I have ever played. Just imagine all the new shenanigans that will be possible in the next update!

NotPete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: October 27, 2011, 09:57:35 am »

Maybe just sealing it off would be the best. Perhaps with a bridge instead of just a solid wall, so you could open it later.

Also, this place would be great to visit later, as an adventurer.  :)

Karakzon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ethics:give a shit?: denied]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: October 27, 2011, 10:42:49 am »

unless you just dig the stairway leading up to it so no dwarves or trolls can travel up their. Though that leaves it open for despoilisation by dragons and other flying critters.
I am Dyslexic. No its not going to change any time soon.
Bolts of Exsanguination THE terrifying glacier export, get yours today!
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 46