Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38

Author Topic: Beginners' XXVII - Imperishable Night - Game Over!  (Read 182550 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' XXVII - Day 1 - Storm on Mt. Ooe (town IC needed)
« Reply #210 on: September 21, 2011, 12:40:52 am »

Don't get into the mindset that scum are cunning and calculating and deliberate over every move because I've played enough games as town and scum to know that that really isn't true.
Yeah, I have to agree with that. A 'perfect' scum wouldn't organize lynches and stuff like that, a perfect scum would act exactly like he would as town. The scum players goal is to act as town as they can so that nobody will be suspicious of them.

I don't need a cheerleader to agree with me when I'm doling out advice.

I'd prefer it if you spent the time trying to cozy up to me scumhunting instead.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' XXVII - Day 1 - Storm on Mt. Ooe
« Reply #211 on: September 21, 2011, 01:39:19 am »

answering your buddy Orangebottle (who defended you)

OBJECTION!
I'd like to know where this baseless accusation came from.

To see how people react to being called out on it.
And what did you learn from their reactions?

Guh. I suppose. Still, I think it was less than three days...
Nope. Your post was on the 17th, day would have ended on the 20th. Now it's been extended for little reason.

Unvote whoever the heck I was voting, vote for ed boy. I haven't really questioned you at all yet.
What do you think of the lurkiness in this game so far (not the players lurking, the lurkiness). I think it's quite abundant.
This question makes absolutely no sense. How could the lurkiness in this game be interpreted as anything other than the players lurking?

You also shouldn't be going after someone just because you haven't yet. And if you are, you shouldn't admit it. It makes you look like scum.

How?

Because you're "scumhunting"(note the sarcasm quotes) edboy with your nonsensical question just because you haven't hunted for him yet. Ergo, you're not doing it because you think he's scum, or even suspicious. You're doing it to look like you're hunting scum.

You have not brought up anything new or original over the course of the entire game day. Why are you not doing anything, Mindmaker?
You think so?
How about you present me some of your achievements from Day 1?
I'd like to paraphrase Jim here.
"Scum isn't going to hunt itself."
Burden of proof is entirely on the accuser. You want to accuse Mormota of doing nothing today? Show us. Show us that the 15 or so posts Mormota has made in this game day are entirely useless.

Because asking the accused to provide proof that they're scum is pants-on-head retarded.
My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 21, 2011, 04:41:34 am »

Right then.

Mindmaker:
You have not brought up anything new or original over the course of the entire game day. Why are you not doing anything, Mindmaker?
You think so?
How about you present me some of your achievements from Day 1?
This really isn't a good excuse for you not doing stuff. You've even admitted that it's not much, but you're not really taking steps to correct that.

I mean, your responses have been reasonably detailed, but I'm not seeing much in terms of actual scumhunting. Do you have any suspicions beyond mipe9 for his early-game thing?

PowderMiner:
(I'm pretty dependent on the Topic Summary)
We've been over this last BM. Open a new tab. If you absolutely have to, just go find the quote you want and then reply to it directly.

Unvote whoever the heck I was voting, vote for ed boy. I haven't really questioned you at all yet.
What do you think of the lurkiness in this game so far (not the players lurking, the lurkiness). I think it's quite abundant.
How is this going to help you find scum? You've been bouncing around RV questions all game and have nothing to show for it.

I mean, is this even really scumhunting? It's more of a comment than a question, and I can't fathom how ed boy'd answer in a way that was useful to you, unless he seriously fucked up.

mipe9:
I don't care about the fact that he asked me two questions. I care about the fact that 100% of his posts are towards me.
So, you don't care that I only recently replaced in. You don't care that I might be active lurking. You don't care that both posts were advice. You don't care that both posts were the same advice. You don't care that I might have a point.

The only thing you care about is that I'm looking at you. Why is that?

Also, note that tunneling tends to require a degree of unreasonableness to it, either in attacking the target or in ignoring others. Simply focusing on one target at a time, for instance, is generally not viewed as tunneling.

Orangebottle, how do you distinguish between people who are scummy because they're scum and people who are scummy because they're new?

ed boy, what was your read on Jafferery? What's your current read on Shakerag?

Powder Miner, what's your read on Orangebottle? Which is worse, in your opinion: Bandwagoning or activelurking?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginners' XXVII - Day 1 - Storm on Mt. Ooe (town IC needed)
« Reply #213 on: September 21, 2011, 05:42:21 am »

Incidentally, what is tunneling? It wasn't included on the list of terms in the original post.
"tunnel vision is the product of a variety of cognitive distortions, such as confirmation bias, hindsight bias, and outcome bias, which can impede accuracy in what we perceive and in how we interpret what we perceive".

In plain mafia & english terms, if you find a person who you think is scum and attack only that player and ignore everybody else, that's tunneling.
You managed to answer this, but you didn't manage to respond to this?

ed boy, what was your read on Jafferery? What's your current read on Shakerag?
I was getting a bit irked with Jafferey before he dropped out, and was finding the lack of responses from him to be suspicious at the least. As for shakerag, I haven't really formed a big opinion of him yet, having joined the game so recently.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 21, 2011, 08:08:45 am »

Orangebottle, how do you distinguish between people who are scummy because they're scum and people who are scummy because they're new?
That's a very good question.

For me, it's hard to distinguish between the two. I guess the best answer would be that scum, when pressed, defends itself and fights back, while new people haven't really gone through the motions yet.

There are also other things to look for when looking at possibly new instead of scum, such as misuse of terminology and heavy reliance apon the IC(s).
My Sig

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
  • Just here for the schadenfreude.
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 21, 2011, 09:49:32 am »

Okay, I'll go back and answer specific questions in a bit, but here's a blow-by-blow analysis of Mindmaker and his posts.  At the time of writing, the lurkertracker shows 23 posts, one of those being the "in" post.  (That would be post [zero])

Bolded text is direct quotes, italics are my (additional) commentary.

[1] Vote Mormota, ask a question
[2] not hunting; offering advice
[3] asking Jafferey about mipe9 after his act
[4] asking mipe9 to be more helpful, not probing or pressing, though
[5] unvote, restating earlier question to jafferey
[6] vote Jafferey, still on same question
[7] asking people to ask him questions
[8] still waiting on question from Jafferey,
"Day 1 has never been my strong suit. I can't come up with unique questions anymore...

Tomorrow maybe."

Really?  Come on now ...
[9] Responding to someone else, but still no hunting
[10] answering question, not scumhunting, get back to jim tomorrow (5:50 pm)
[11] respond to orangebottle, tell jim to wait (6:25 pm)
(after this post, [11], is where Orangebottle appears to be defending Mindmaker to Jim)
[12] pre-emptive defensiveness to jim, still not scumhunting
[13] further defending, but still no hunting
[14] still waiting on jafferey
[15] responding to extension question
[16] asking others for extension
"Uhm guys, time is running out.
You sure you can make a decision? If not we need 2 more votes (I believe) for an extension."

Interesting wording ... not "we" can make a decision, but "you". 
[17] unvote, but no direction toward anyone else
[18] respond to question, suspecting mipe9 again
[19] FINALLY ask a question, but only because I replaced the original person he was asking, vote mipe9
At this point, it is September 20th, just about noon by what the board says.  The last real question Mindmaker asked was September 16th, 6AM.  Active lurking much?
Also, now that mipe9 has two votes on him, here is where Mindmaker finally decides to hop on the bandwagon.  If you've been mentioning him for days, why only now vote for him?
[20] defensive against Mormota's inquiry, not really presenting any "defense" other than attacking Mormota
[21] respond to my inquiries, still no hunting
[22] responding to Powder Miner about voting, still no hunting

And, just as a totally unrelated side note to that last post, not everyone has the same posts-per-page.  I see this thread as only 5 pages.

Also, forgive the formatting because Jesus Christ that took a while to get together.

Dariush

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't think I !!am!!, therefore I !!am!! not
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 21, 2011, 10:03:02 am »

Votecount:

• ed boy: Powder Miner,
  • Orangebottle: IronyOwl,
  • Mormota:
  • Shakerag: Mormota,
  • mipe9: Jim Groovester, ed boy, Mindmaker
  • Mindmaker: Shakerag,
  • Powder Miner: Orangebottle,
  • Jim Groovester:
  • IronyOwl: mipe9,

Not voting:

The day will end Wednesday the 21th, 6PM GMT. (That's two hours from now!) You need 4 votes to extend and 6 to shorten.

LT for this game. (Mostly for myself, for easier votecounts, but feel free to use it)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2011, 10:05:36 am by Dariush »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 21, 2011, 10:07:58 am »

6PM GMT. (That's two hours from now!)
No it's not.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 21, 2011, 10:22:32 am »

6PM GMT. (That's two hours from now!)
No it's not.
Yes it is.

Due to daylight savings, most people who are normally on GMT are on BST, which has it the day ending at 5pm. GMT, however, has it at 6pm.

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 21, 2011, 10:23:13 am »

Extend

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 21, 2011, 10:25:12 am »

Due to daylight savings, most people who are normally on GMT are on BST, which has it the day ending at 5pm. GMT, however, has it at 6pm.
Except at the moment where Dariush made that post it was 3PM GMT.

And now I'm out because I am right and the discussion is over.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My Sig

Shakerag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: September 21, 2011, 10:52:11 am »

Extend
Why?

Frankly, because I'm not satisfied with the votes as they stand.  I'm not convinced of mipe9's scumminess, so I want time for people to either convince me, and/or analyze statements I have made against someone I think is scummier. 

Why are you so opposed to an extension?

mipe9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 21, 2011, 10:55:23 am »

Extend

Mormota

• Bay Watcher
  • Necron Lord
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: September 21, 2011, 11:32:54 am »

Avid Aurora player, Warhammer 40.000 fan, part-time writer and cursed game developer.
The only thing that happened in general was the death of 71% of the fort, and that wasn't really worth mentioning.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 38