Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How many glass serrated discs per square?  (Read 4189 times)

obsidian razor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How many glass serrated discs per square?
« on: September 13, 2011, 04:50:14 am »

So... yeah, exactly as it says on the tin.

Steel is in short supply (for now, when that goblinite comes it will be like Christmas! I have ample supplies of marble for when that happens :)) so I need some alternative material for my traps. I have a crapload of sand and magma, so might as well put it to good use rather than those windows my dorfs seem to like that much.

However I'm a bit confused of how many discs should I put on each trap. I know the more there are, the easier for them to get stuck, but also, the easier for them to kill (30 attacks are better than 3 I suppose), but I don't know if just by using glass will one for each trap suffice...

Ideas?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: How many glass serrated discs per square?
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2011, 05:01:53 am »

Glass has a variable weapon power, but usually extremely weak.  I've heard, without proof but with good reasoning, that when you load the game, it finds that glass has no weapon values like shear, impact yield, etc, so it randomly assigns the value.  This comes from leftover bits of memory, and can be completely random, but is usually a negative number that rounds up to zero, giving poor weapon results in all cases.  This also means that you should be able to close and restart DF (not just save and resume) to re-roll the glass stats, but who knows really.

Either way you slice it, glass doesn't slice much at all.  The rule for maximum effect is "1 per trap" but glass isn't good.  If you follow that advice you might end up with hundreds of tiles long and still get live goblins.  So, my advice would be to pack them in tight and make a grinder of it, to cause the goblins to keep re-pathing through the same traps again and again.  Marksdwarves with bone bolts can be stationed behind a pit+fortification to shoot down goblins who survive the grinder for too long.

obsidian razor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 05:04:09 am »

The marksdwarves where part of the plan :)

I'm asking cause I read that glass had been fixed as a trap material in one of the recent patches, but I'm not entirely sure so I wanted to confirm... :(

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 05:21:30 am »

I tried the glass meat grinder tactic once, better turn it to a dodge it trap. As Girlinhat pointed out, glass has almost no dmg, but you can mass produce it. Falling 2 or 3 levels on glass spikes will give better results IMO
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

obsidian razor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 05:23:39 am »

Will magma also help in the dogde trap? :)

Also, what trap components are good when made out of glass? I remember reading that spiked balls and spikes were actually quite nice.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 05:40:28 am »

Glass has a variable weapon power, but usually extremely weak.  I've heard, without proof but with good reasoning, that when you load the game, it finds that glass has no weapon values like shear, impact yield, etc, so it randomly assigns the value.  This comes from leftover bits of memory, and can be completely random, but is usually a negative number that rounds up to zero, giving poor weapon results in all cases.  This also means that you should be able to close and restart DF (not just save and resume) to re-roll the glass stats, but who knows really.

That bug was fixed.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

KtosoX

• Bay Watcher
  • Playing DF since 18.08.2010
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 05:56:13 am »

Damn you Urist!
Now I have to build a fort only to see how much glass traps fail after they got fixed...
Build a grid of floor grates above the entire city. Draft a squadron of masons and bomb the crap out of the city with falling constructed walls.
The Geneva Convention would like to have a word with you.
Quote from: Aleksanderus
I have clicked "d" in a forge and look what it did!

obsidian razor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 07:06:12 am »

I was thinking of a long corridor, with channelled sides with magma to keep it nice and warm and several lines of serrated discs, menacing spikes and falling spiked balls :)

Speaking of which, do they also get jammed easily? How many should I placer per trap?

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2011, 12:01:24 pm »

This bug is supposed to be fixed. Glass should now have a low, but fixed, value.

The basic gist is that glass is about as good as wood, but with slicing goodness. It shouldn't be used for its awesome lethality, but for its ease of production, low resource cost and high value. It can (and will) kill unarmored or lightly armored troops (by hitting unarmored areas) but will not perform well against armor of any real strength. Fro thinning a siege out, it's probably not bad. For dealing with small ambushes, it's probably not too shabby. For brick-wall, nothing-gets-through, hold-the-line, here-we-stand-here-they-die sorts of situations, you don't want glass.

Either way you slice it, glass doesn't slice much at all.  The rule for maximum effect is "1 per trap" but glass isn't good.  If you follow that advice you might end up with hundreds of tiles long and still get live goblins.
With the bug fixed, you won't get hundreds, but it's not as effective as metals, so you will need more.

So, my advice would be to pack them in tight and make a grinder of it, to cause the goblins to keep re-pathing through the same traps again and again.  Marksdwarves with bone bolts can be stationed behind a pit+fortification to shoot down goblins who survive the grinder for too long.
This part, however, I'd keep. I'd also ask about the deployment. Glass traps work well enough for dodge-em traps, due to infinite materials and relatively low lethality. (Do not use glass for danger room traps, however, or there will be blood.)

Please note, all of this is purely anecdotal. Your mileage may vary, consult your doctor before beginning an aspirin regimen, may contain nuts or nut products. This product is not intended to treat or diagnose any condition. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2011, 12:12:18 pm »

The basic gist is that glass is about as good as wood, but with slicing goodness. It shouldn't be used for its awesome lethality, but for its ease of production, low resource cost and high value. It can (and will) kill unarmored or lightly armored troops (by hitting unarmored areas) but will not perform well against armor of any real strength.

How does it do against siege mounts?
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2011, 12:16:38 pm »

Please note, all of this is purely anecdotal. Your mileage may vary, consult your doctor before beginning an aspirin regimen, may contain nuts or nut products. This product is not intended to treat or diagnose any condition. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.

<derail> What if it lasts more than 4 hours? </derail>
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2011, 12:25:28 pm »

I'm surprised it doesn't do more damage. The EDGE for glass according to magmawiki is 15000. Steel is 10000, and obsidian is 20000.
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2011, 01:31:30 pm »

What if it lasts more than 4 hours?
Consult your Chief Medical Doctor, then wait for a diagnosis, which will probably arrive somewhere after the next few cycles of food, booze, and sleep. Maybe.

Urist McDwarfFortress

• Bay Watcher
  • Suspected elephant sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2011, 01:59:40 pm »

I was thinking of a long corridor, with channelled sides with magma to keep it nice and warm and several lines of serrated discs, menacing spikes and falling spiked balls :)

Speaking of which, do they also get jammed easily? How many should I placer per trap?
In that case, why not just use upright spikes of glass with a few spikes per trap (More spikes = more dodging) Hook all the spikes up to a lever on repeat and watch the gobos fling themselves into the magma.  Upright spikes never jam and who cares if glass spikes kinda suck, the magma will be what kills the gobos, not the spikes themselves.
Sorry, for a moment there I forgot we were all psychopaths.
Someone who has random urges to make mog juice isn't exactly going to care about the cost effectiveness of obtaining it.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2011, 02:21:21 pm »

Glass seems to work OK in v31.25 as long as the opponents are not heavily armored:

Never pet a burning dog.

Pages: [1] 2