Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: names and conversations. People dont trust you and you dont trust them sometimes  (Read 1706 times)

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
  • *Antymattar has created a Cat-ass-trophy*
    • View Profile

Right now when you talk to someone they instantly tell you your name and you tell them yours... if not worst. This is bad for both cases if you are the enemy of the person you are talking to or are trying to keep your identity secret from other people. When you talk to somebody in adventure mode, you shouldn't instantly address them. Rather, you should be able to choose what how you want to talk to them and what you would say or even better, just ask them something. Then perhaps if you looks suspicious (Ie weapons are shown or you look like you've been in the wild for too long(Perhaps that would make you grow facial hair or make you look dirty)) then they would ask you your name. Also, when talking to someone they should not always tell you your name. It would depend on their personality but if they don't tell you their name then the only thing that should show up would be their profession... Heck! Maybe even that might be unknown and it would just all be the same grey dudes walking around you. Perhaps there should be a skill that lets you identify what profession someone is. Or that would depend on how much you have talked to people with the same profession.

Also, your memory skill would decide how well you remember people. People who have talked to you(Perhaps even secret figures) and have not revealed their name to you, should remain a "???" or perhaps you should be able to give them a custom name to refer to.

What do you think?

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile

I think this is nice.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think you are somewhat instilling modern politeness onto a game that is supposed to at least SOMEWHAT represent antiquity.

You would have to be quite a rude and villainous person not to give your name as soon as you meet someone. As well how many times in medieval fiction has someone asked another's name and they didn't at least give a title?

Though that could be something that could be added to civilisations. Such as if a name is something that must be given immediately or else your considered rude, or if your name is considered private and only government officials and close friends are allowed to hear of it.

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I think you are somewhat instilling modern politeness onto a game that is supposed to at least SOMEWHAT represent antiquity.

You would have to be quite a rude and villainous person not to give your name as soon as you meet someone. As well how many times in medieval fiction has someone asked another's name and they didn't at least give a title?

Though that could be something that could be added to civilisations. Such as if a name is something that must be given immediately or else your considered rude, or if your name is considered private and only government officials and close friends are allowed to hear of it.
What if I run into someone on the street?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What if I run into someone on the street?

Full name

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile

Could I see a source for this?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Nope

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile

Nope

Your refusal seems somewhat counter-productive to your point, sir.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What refusal? I'd have no idea where to even start to find information on social conventions on greetings of any period of country.

Blade Master Model 42

• Bay Watcher
  • Edelgard did nothing wrong.
    • View Profile

What refusal? I'd have no idea where to even start to find information on social conventions on greetings of any period of country.

Well, obviously you picked up this idea somewhere. Maybe you could think about that, try to find where it came from, and link us?

antymattar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But really think of situations like this. You are in the hills near the hovels of the country men. Not too far from a village. You stop there to refill your water sack. You meet a man. The man starts talking to you(CAUSE WE NEED THIS) and he says "Might I suggest you use the water from the other well to the north. The water in this ones bad cause once upon a time my cousin slayed a butterfly and threw it into the well to give it eternal torment." and there. He simply suggested something to you. You can then say Thanks and move on. Perhaps you might be in a city and you might get shoved by someone(CAUSE WE NEED THIS!) and he says "Watch where you're going!" And you reply to him with an angered stare(CAUSE WE NEED THIS!!!). You simply talked to him with your body language. You didn't say "My name is Rojero Rokenzo Monazro Compadre and I am contemplating the primitive antics of your anti-social self0indulged civilization!"

Or if someone talks to you they might not give you their name or any of their relatives names. Besides, what if I went up to you in the middle of the street(CAUSE YOU NEED THIS!!!) and asked you what were the names age location and gender of all your family members?

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile

Stuff like this is planned AFAIK, as well as doing stuff like being able to give fake names to people you talk to.
Toady plans to put a lot more work into conversations and interaction with other people in Adventure mode in general, I think there's an entire release dedicated to it.
*Hugs*

coolio678

• Bay Watcher
  • whooshing winds and all that jazz
    • View Profile

if facial hair is what keeps people from giving you their name, then I bet no one knows anyone else's name in a dwarven fort. Perhaps for the figuring out someone's job, it uses the observer skill, and remembering it uses some memory skill or something.
Dwarves passing by get good thoughts from the mist of water and exploding felines.
Anyone of the equivalent to the royal bloodline in a nomadic group would have a sun tattooed on their hand, or a scrotum on their forehead (it's a little-known fact that fraternities are based off of long-forgotten tribes).

RabidAnubis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Back then rules involved leaving your house open to anyone traveling through, for obvious reasons.

So, everyone gave their names.
Dwarf Fortress: Your game is working on giving NPC's lives. Our game is working on giving them a working nervous system.
Aahhh I can't find the fish cakes in the bunny level, they keep getting enraged and I don't have any holy hand grenades
The Age of Myth: Goldenhold