Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Nickel Battle Axe....  (Read 2229 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Re: Nickel Battle Axe....
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2011, 06:30:55 pm »

Mechanisms affect the accuracy of the trap's attack, IIRC.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2011, 07:01:59 pm »

Put it in a weapon trap in a 1x1 pit, then throw all your prisoners into the pit.
(Have an access route to the pit in case it needs cleaning, I guess.)
This is also an awesome thing to do with artifact styrofoam blunt weapons. Especially if it doesn't kill them, but instead makes their stats super awesome meaning you have fun arena contenders.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2011, 07:21:25 pm »

I AM HE WITH NON-STANDARD METAL SHARPNESES IN MY SIG. BEHOLD MY TERRIBLE WISDOM.
So, yeah. It's sub-copper, but against unarmored creatures, and in the hands of a good dwarf, it's fine. Any weapon is good against flesh, even with no training.

My data was gathered through repeated testing. Took me 8 hours. I think it's more accurate than abstractions gathered from a list of data.

Worst metals are the Pewters, then all the "Copper+" metals: metals added to Copper to make it suck less.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 07:25:26 pm by franti »
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

ulan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2011, 09:10:56 pm »

I'm playing "Easy Mode;" I've modded dwarves to require neither drink nor food.
wat wat wat

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 05, 2011, 11:53:14 pm »

Bah. Thats not easy mode.

Easy mode is giving all dwarves natural legendary skills, free everything via reactions, [SPEED_1] and giving it all the tags beginning in [NO_.

That's what I do when I want to build some megaproject.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2011, 01:59:35 am »

Easy mode is giving all dwarves natural legendary skills, free everything via reactions, [SPEED_1] and giving it all the tags beginning in [NO_.

Megaprojects are a helluva lot less impressive under those circumstances.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2011, 02:01:26 am »

Agreed.  If you're megaprojecting like that, you're just dicking around.  Show us some real blood and spittle.  Paint the construction with goblin blood - not on purpose, but because they ambushed your masons and lost.

AaronLS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2011, 02:06:42 am »

I would call that creative mode, like the creative mode in minecraft.

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 03:32:28 am »

My testing (big batch of empirical testing of realistic situations, then putting apparent trends to test in a controlled manner changingbone variable at a time) hints that hierarchies aren't as clear as often assumed.

Very pointy stuff seems to want a good combination of weight and toughness, steel > candy > iron. Lead turned out not to be a good blunt weapon material, so density (the figures Sphalerite gave) isn't everything. Density seems relatively more important than impact strength if the wielder is strong, the weapon is small and the target is armored.

But yes, nickel is rather poor in any case.
Pages: 1 [2]