Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Plantable Grass  (Read 1048 times)

OperatorPants

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Plantable Grass
« on: September 01, 2011, 06:41:59 am »

Was playing in some badlands today, and a thought came across my mind. Perhaps there could be grass seeds, and you could designate a zone for grass growing. This way you could have decent above ground farms. Not to mention it could be used aesthetically.

dwarfhoplite

• Bay Watcher
  • Gentledwarves, prepare for Glory!
    • View Profile
Re: Plantable Grass
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 07:40:02 am »

I support this. Plants and trees always ruin my aesthetics

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 08:20:07 am »

But grass will overrun things in real life if left unattended. I see no problem with it doing so in DF.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 09:08:19 am »

But grass will overrun things in real life if left unattended. I see no problem with it doing so in DF.

Could probably take over farmland/mud if near it too... But growing grass seems like it could be helpful (doubt I'd use it too much, but who knows)

Grass seeds - Just add water
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Forumite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 09:35:48 am »

You mean outside? Just designate traffic zones where you donīt want your dwarves to walk, then they wonīt crush the grass there.
"The ability to quote is a serviceable substitute for wit." - W. Somerset Maugham

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 06:09:14 pm »

That would only work if grass grows naturally in the area. Planting grass would allow for fields of green in deserts and wastelands.

albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 06:57:07 pm »

If grass doesn't grow somewhere naturally, it probably wouldn't grow there if it was planted, right? Unless it was manually irrigated on regular basis...

Valdrax

• Bay Watcher
  • HUGE ELF (bluh bluh)
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 07:16:35 pm »

Try digging out a channeled area in the outdoors soil.  You can sometimes start growing a pasture that way as long as the resulting area exposed to light is still soil. 

That said, if you can farm Longland grass anywhere that's not freezing, you should be able to farm up some hay.
The history of a good fortress is not written in blood, it's painted on the walls by the hand of a melancholy orphan.

xelo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2011, 03:55:15 am »

You mean outside? Just designate traffic zones where you donīt want your dwarves to walk, then they wonīt crush the grass there.
Sieges and Merchants don't follow any traffic zones.

The outside of my nice fortress is a muddy mess. 10 years later but no new grass in sight, even on those tiles nobody since steps on..

I was visited by a "fire titan" who burnt 1/10 of my map. Even 6 (or 7?) years later there is only ashes there on the ground.

I really would appreciate this possibility to get a green map back. Either by seeding or by natural regeneration.
Please use Code-Tags for ascii illustrations relating DF

#....#
###### Bad
Code: [Select]
#....#
###### Good

Reelyanoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2011, 04:07:59 am »

Is your fort in a scorching hot biome? Did you turn weather off? I don't know if these effect it but worth a shot. Grass should grow back normally.