Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Long chain of disasters normal? (also axelords are OP)  (Read 5803 times)

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
Re: Long chain of disasters normal? (also axelords are OP)
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2011, 01:36:17 am »

I have noticed I seem to be getting a lot more invasions too. I seem to get about two a year, which is enough to keep my carpenters making bins constantly and my haulers doing nothing but moving goblinite around. Fortunately with my halls literally littered with tetrahedrite it wasn't hard to whip up enough copper discs to turn my entryway into a cuisinart. That's pretty much the only defense I concern myself with, since it seems that any military dwarf who is short of legendary will eventually fall to the fluke fist-through-the-brain. And even legendaries fall to the surprisingly common arrow-through-the-brain.
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2011, 01:44:58 am »

Invasions, FB/Titans/Etc, and artifacts are directly related to your generated wealth.  Digging out a new area and smoothing/engraving it generates a lot of stone and a lot of expensive walls, probably some expensive metals as well, which boosts wealth to encourage raids.  You can avoid goblin attention by doing nothing, but what fun is that?

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2011, 02:05:37 am »

Yeah, goblins flock towards forts with a high wealth and objects like steel trap components speeds up the provess because of their extremely high value. So, sure that wide line of Serrated Blades o' Death seems like a good defense, but the sheer monetary value of all those blades means that even more goblins will show up.

Same for high-dwarfbuck equipment; your dwarves will be better armed and armored, but will also have to fight more enemies than dwarfs with cheaper armor and weapons.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2011, 02:18:13 am »

Which helps, because that gear protects them against the enemies.  It's just stuff like crafts that encourage enemies and don't provide more defense.

Patroclus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2011, 07:52:42 am »

Invasions, FB/Titans/Etc, and artifacts are directly related to your generated wealth.  Digging out a new area and smoothing/engraving it generates a lot of stone and a lot of expensive walls, probably some expensive metals as well, which boosts wealth to encourage raids.  You can avoid goblin attention by doing nothing, but what fun is that?

See, I have the exact opposite problem.  My current best fort is about 15 years old, with 230 dwarves and nearly 30 million dorfbucks in created wealth, even had the monarch arrive (stupid human king who refused to leave the edge of the map and died). Yet I'm lucky if I see 30 goblins in a year.

I do have about 5 forgotten beasts hanging out in the walled off caverns; could they be interfering with the arrival of new foes?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 09:00:27 am by Patroclus »
I want Hell to be a place where my dwarves can live in peace and harmony.

Kon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 01, 2011, 10:29:15 am »

See, I have the exact opposite problem.  My current best fort is about 15 years old, with 230 dwarves and nearly 30 million dorfbucks in created wealth, even had the monarch arrive (stupid human king who refused to leave the edge of the map and died). Yet I'm lucky if I see 30 goblins in a year.

I do have about 5 forgotten beasts hanging out in the walled off caverns; could they be interfering with the arrival of new foes?

In a recent fort, attacks from goblins was much less than usual, but I was getting about one FB per year. I was killing the FBs as they arrived, more or less, but that did't seem to affect the frequency of goblin attacks. In about 30 years, I killed about 30 FBs.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2011, 01:54:45 pm »

You're lucky to get so many sieges!  The current fort is four years old an zero gobs.  Normally i wouldn't care but lack of usable armor ore means goblins are an important resource.  Without that goblinite, going into the lower caverns will cost lives. 

My guess is you must have a decent networth to get sieges like that.  Are you making anything with gold?  In my short experience, sieges usually come right around the time a caravan arrives.  So if you waited 12 months after the first siege arrived, the second one was very close to arriving.  Expect them around the same time every year.  They'll get bigger each time too.

Sadistic code?!  That is an interesting term to describe it.  I have read some source before that had interesting tid-bits but it never occured to me that Toady had done those things.  Weighted the RNG towards destruction instead of salvation?
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2011, 02:08:35 pm »

The sadism algorithm is the only available explanation for why sieges come at the same time as caravans - at the same place as the caravan, why dwarves wall themselves off every time, why every mood requires something you don't have, why every marksdwarf will rush in and melee, and why every soldier strips naked in front of the enemy and runs in slapping them.  The game is difficult by design, not only in its structure but in its core function, all things weigh against the user.

Musashi

• Bay Watcher
  • cancels Work: distracted by Dwarf Fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2011, 03:17:36 pm »

There's the equation of Murphy' Law in the code.
Yes, there's an equation for that, and Toady One alone has found it.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

nerdyboy321123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2011, 03:30:22 pm »

The sadism algorithm is the only available explanation for why sieges come at the same time as caravans - at the same place as the caravan, why dwarves wall themselves off every time, why every mood requires something you don't have, why every marksdwarf will rush in and melee, and why every soldier strips naked in front of the enemy and runs in slapping them.  The game is difficult by design, not only in its structure but in its core function, all things weigh against the user.
But that's what makes it so amazing.
how exactly did you weaponize cows into emissary-assassins without causing the expected loyalty cascade?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 01, 2011, 03:39:52 pm »

I didn't say it was bad.  It's one of the defining points in the game.  So many people believe it's bad luck, but the truth is that it's all tilted against you.  Every goblin lasher and every enraged badger, every dying "friend of everyone" and every mayor who likes slade, every failed mood and every tantrum that destroyed a floodgate, every bird and beast and plant and every flake of stone.  It all, wants, to kill you.

Jacos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 01, 2011, 05:08:39 pm »

I didn't say it was bad.  It's one of the defining points in the game.  So many people believe it's bad luck, but the truth is that it's all tilted against you.  Every goblin lasher and every enraged badger, every dying "friend of everyone" and every mayor who likes slade, every failed mood and every tantrum that destroyed a floodgate, every bird and beast and plant and every flake of stone.  It all, wants, to kill you.

so i herd u liek being sigged

By Urist's Glorious Neckbeard! It all makes sense now!
Dwarven Science: We do what we must, because, we're bored.

Every few miles, [the dwarves] stop the cart.  One of the dwarfs (sic) gets off, digs a hole down below the dirt layers, licks the bedrock, and then they know exactly where they are.  It's called GPS: Geological Piquancy Sampling.

Quiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 01, 2011, 10:01:05 pm »

Guess what! I got another Minotaur and another invasion about a month later, WOOO

Also, the goblin grinder (double) failed hard so I'm gonna dig it all up and make a dodge em instead

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 01, 2011, 10:17:15 pm »

Dig the dodge-em pit all the way down to the lowest level possible without hitting the magma sea, then mine out the floor into the magma sea and put a retracting bridge over it. Goblins fall a ridiculous distance and explode amusingly, sending limbs flying hundreds of feet in the air, and then you can dump their useless crap into magma when you're done.
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Quiles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 02, 2011, 09:23:21 am »

You're lucky to get so many sieges!  The current fort is four years old an zero gobs.  Normally i wouldn't care but lack of usable armor ore means goblins are an important resource.  Without that goblinite, going into the lower caverns will cost lives. 

My guess is you must have a decent networth to get sieges like that.  Are you making anything with gold?  In my short experience, sieges usually come right around the time a caravan arrives.  So if you waited 12 months after the first siege arrived, the second one was very close to arriving.  Expect them around the same time every year.  They'll get bigger each time too.

Sadistic code?!  That is an interesting term to describe it.  I have read some source before that had interesting tid-bits but it never occured to me that Toady had done those things.  Weighted the RNG towards destruction instead of salvation?

No I've smelted maybe 3 gold bars max, most of my wealth is in craptols of steel armor and weapons
Pages: 1 [2] 3