Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Blizzard men as weapons  (Read 1879 times)

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
  • The yak falls infinitely
    • View Profile
Blizzard men as weapons
« on: August 30, 2011, 07:13:30 pm »

I've just got Linux up and running on my laptop and I'm messing around with DF in the arena to see how it holds up. I put a blizzard man up against a fire man. The blizzard man immediately killed the FM by punching it apart, but was set on fire.

...Five minutes later and counting, he's still on fire, and doesn't seem to be going past 'yellow' wounds. I sent some foxes after him, and when he charged the foxes and collided with them, they melted.

Ten foxes later... he's still burning, they've all melted. I send a giant to punch him; the giant's hands melt off and the blizzard man takes little damage besides bruising. Eventually some bones are broken, the blizzard man passes out. The giant keeps attacking until he melts, and the blizzard men remains alive, as a potential target for others to melt themselves upon. I sense a potential weapon worthy of the Dwarven epics.

Can blizzard men breed? A device that magmas BMs and sends them out into sieges to burn everything would be incredibly awesome. I don't think they have blood so fire doesn't do anything (they don't bleed out).
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."
    Scott Meyers, Effective STL

I've written bash scripts to make using DF easier under Linux!

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Blizzard men as weapons
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:16:58 pm »

They're like Plump Helmet Men, only less edible and more violent.

Corneria

• Bay Watcher
  • [TORTURE_FOR_FUN:ACCEPTABLE][TRESPASSING:SHUN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 07:19:48 pm »

An effective weapon with great potential for causing Fun?
Sounds dwarfy enough to me.
Oh yeah: Nazis.  Now I lost the argument.  So you can't argue with me anymore.  Nyah.

The_Kakaze

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 07:42:15 pm »

A device that magmas BMs and sends them out into sieges to burn everything

That sounds like a much more dangerous BM than I'm used to having :P
Anything that happens in your land is your fault.  If the merchants decided to show up next to a volcano and jump in, it would still (somehow) be your fault.  If their liaison dies of old age on your doorstep, it's your fault.  If you accidentally lock the elves in the depot and wait until they're insane to capture them in cages and then lock the next group of elves in the depot and unleash the insane elves their cages, that's still somehow your fault.

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 07:51:51 pm »

Here's another *-man related idea, have flow from an aquifer go past some water wheels and drain into a pit with a magma-man in it. Infinite flow with no overflowing!

I think I'm going to embark to an evil glacier to try this stuff out...
"Frankly, if you're hanging out with people who tell you to use v.begin() instead of &v[0], you need to rethink your social circle."

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 08:36:21 pm »

Tested in arena, playing as a blizzard man. What's the difference between "You are being incinerated!", "You are burning!", "You are on fire!", "You are burning alive!", and "You are burning to death!"? Why does Toady have this many ways of saying it?

Anyways, they can survive swimming in magma, and the only problem is that they go blind. They can drown in magma or water however. It seems like, if you don't bleed, and don't have organs, that you can't die from magma/fire unless you can be completely melted (like a bronze colossus can).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 08:40:12 pm »

Magma-seum anyone?  It's like a coliseum, except in constant 3/7 magma.  Magma crabs vs Blizzard Man vs Plump Helmet Man

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 08:40:34 pm »

hrm, i had a goblin civ that could embark with blizzard men before..... i guess i really missed out.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 09:41:43 pm »

Really weird: I let a blizzard man burn for 30 minutes real time in the arena, after several magma dunks, and when I "assumed control" of it to check it's health screen, I saw that all of its body parts were listed three times. One iteration was all Serious burns, another iteration was all Moderate burns, and the last had no burn description.

Yep, they can get burned so bad that they burn completely, twice. Why can it still walk around at normal speed?

Also interesting: once a blizzard man, who is on fire, dies by a weapon hit (I used decapitation), its !!body!! rapidly suffers XXwearXX and burns away to nothing.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2011, 10:43:40 pm »

"You are being incinerated!", "You are burning!", "You are on fire!", "You are burning alive!", "You are burning to death!" Why does Toady have this many ways of saying it?

Presumably the community here is responsible for that...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

DrKillPatient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 05:32:49 pm »

"You are being incinerated!", "You are burning!", "You are on fire!", "You are burning alive!", "You are burning to death!" Why does Toady have this many ways of saying it?

Presumably the community here is responsible for that...

Looks like the severity of the burn.

After further testing I think plump helmet men would do better for weaponization, for two reasons: they can breed (there are plump helmet man-women), and they have [EXTRAVISION]. One could theoretically put them under hatches all over the map, then funnel pressurized magma up under the hatch and have the PHM stand on a grate one level below the hatch (which is on ground level). When the hatch is opened, an irate, flaming PHM gets shot upward (I hope) by the magma pressure and sets upon the surrounding enemies.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 01, 2011, 01:49:48 am »

Even simpler--make sure your plump helmet men are in a separate burrow from your dwarves (you can burrow them since they have [can_learn] and count as citizens as such). Make sure the burrow has two potential meeting areas--say two statues.  Light the mushrooms up.  When you want them to change locations, redesignate one statue as a meeting area and cancel the meeting area on the other--they'll naturally drift towards it as all animals and lazy dwarves do.  Ideally goblins should cross paths with them somewhere along the way.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2011, 01:54:32 am »

Verify please?  Plump Helmet Men obey burrows?

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2011, 09:15:29 am »

Verify please?  Plump Helmet Men obey burrows?

They should not obey burrows, because you can't tame them without modding them, and even intelligent creatures that aren't a part of your fort won't obey burrows.

Also, plump helmet men probably don't breed, because they don't have the [PET] token.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2011, 05:25:28 pm »

I did add the [pet] label to them, as I do to all cavern creatures, since I like cavern forts.  They appear in the burrow designations (I recall--even if I can't recall if they obey them per se) and they will breed prodigiously (and uselessly since they don't seem to produce any edible food when butchered). Perhaps I am remembering wrong, I haven't played that fort since the spring, but I did at one point kill a copy of that fort by lighting all 50 or so of its mushroom men on fire in the bowels of the fort and then letting them wonder around to the major meeting areas.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2011, 05:27:40 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: [1] 2