Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: finding <FUN>  (Read 780 times)

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
finding <FUN>
« on: August 30, 2011, 06:33:48 pm »

id like to embark on a lair of a mega beast, but i dont know how to start looking for it. do i have to go through legends mode and look for where it settles?
ive read about the particular user finding a hydra in adventurer mode and building a fort around its crippled body, but i dont know how to just look for it.
on a slightly related note, where would i find the design for the map-wide channel to the watchtower/pillbox?
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: finding <FUN>
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 06:40:16 pm »

Usually, adventure mode and take quests until you get sent to a lair, then the lair will be visible on the same civ's embark screen - you must be a dwarf adventurer.

Alternatively, you can embark in 8x8 squares until you find a lair, then ctrl+alt+del to hard close the process, and then re-embark onto the lair.  This works for ☼Upright Fun☼ as well.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 06:55:21 pm »

neat. thank you kind sir. i poked around and found that legends mode gives you some info on where to find caves and such, but i digress
Aside from that, being rational is not only optional, but is frowned upon.  We hate elves.  We kill for socks.  We sacrifice nobles.  We love kobolds.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 07:00:14 pm »

*cough* ma'am.  But I'll let it slide, because my luxurious beard is so fine that it sometimes confuses people.

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 07:14:18 pm »

internet anonimity for ya n_n; my bad

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 08:18:13 pm »

Usually, adventure mode and take quests until you get sent to a lair, then the lair will be visible on the same civ's embark screen - you must be a dwarf adventurer.

Alternatively, you can embark in 8x8 squares until you find a lair, then ctrl+alt+del to hard close the process, and then re-embark onto the lair.  This works for ☼Upright Fun☼ as well.

Or you could just ask for surroundings over and over again until you find "blah blah the megabeast is there"

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 08:28:27 pm »

If I recall, can't you in advanced world gen trigger it so caves show up on the embark screen? I think that counts as megabeast lairs.

Mickey Blue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2011, 11:03:38 pm »

Indeed, in advanced world gen you can set caves to visible and thus you can see caves.. Now as to figuring out which of those caves have megabeasts and which don't.. The above will work, as will pouring over legends (which will let you choose a specific megabeast).

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2011, 11:06:07 pm »

A lair is not a cave, is the problem.  A lair is a tiny hole in the ground, a cave is a mound of stone with a tunnel leading to the caverns.  Lairs house megabeasts, caves may or most likely may not.

Kattel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2011, 12:05:00 am »

you can use legend viewer to find the exact cave/lair you want. then just embark on that point.
Invaders: Our arrows will blot out the sun!
Me: Then we will fight in the SLADE.
I fear that each time it tolled out the hour, some part of our souls would mournfully yearn: "A puppy should have died just now, but didn't."

ShadowBroker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2011, 04:45:05 pm »

you can use legend viewer to find the exact cave/lair you want. then just embark on that point.
yea, i was doing that for a while, but pouring over an enourmous map is tedious. i was just looking for an easier way