Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Equipping my troops: What should be adamantine?  (Read 3317 times)

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
Re: Equipping my troops: What should be adamantine?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2011, 12:19:52 pm »

Weaponwise, adamantine can slice through anything as though it were butter, which means that no enemy on [insert world name here] can stand against it- this is important for fighting inorganic FB's, Titans, etc. Because adamantine is so light, it makes for a terrible blunt weapon- no maces, hammers, or shields. Only make slashing or piercing weapons out of adamantine- swords, axes, and spears. Watch the limbs fly.

Lies. I've had legendary +20 (or so) adamantine swords be deflected by iron helms.
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)

Fayceless

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2011, 12:39:05 pm »

The problem with making adamantine armor is that it's so thin and light that it doesn't protect you very well from blunt weapons.

This is not true.  As it very strong, it effectively deflects blunt weapons better than steel.  Blunt weapons would still be the weapon of choice against adamantine armor (or any armor for that matter)

But you have nothing to worry about.  If you make armor, you'll get only strengths, no weaknesses.  The armor will be light and strong.  However, I'll agree with what others have said: weapons first!  Swords, axes, and spears.  Get your best weaponsmith (and only your best) to work on those and you'll have a fearsome army in no time.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2011, 02:54:49 pm »

If you really have enough adamantine, go for full masterwork for everything not doing blunt damage.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2011, 03:01:04 pm »

From what I remember from the adamantine has 0 yield and a very high fracture point, that would make it the best bet for stopping any kind of attack, the only armor that shouldn't be adamantine is your shields. On the weapon front anything that does slashing damage is good, if you use it for blunt weapons you'd be better off hitting goblins with squeaky hammers.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 29, 2011, 04:25:56 pm »

I'd make mail shirts and helms and weapons, then gauntlets and boots if you have enough. 
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2011, 04:36:19 pm »

Slashing weapons: Adamantine
Blunt weapons (including crossbows): Silver
Shields: Copper
All Armor: Adamantine

Steel works well for all of these, as it's a metal and thus heavy (for bashing), strong (for armor), and holds an edge (for slashing).  However, if you have the resources, the above distribution is ideal.  Remember: shields don't care about material, featherwood and artifact adamantine both provide protection.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 29, 2011, 07:22:10 pm »

Remember: shields don't care about material, featherwood and artifact adamantine both provide protection.
not true both are subpar at bashing,for which you need wight and hardness.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2011, 07:26:52 pm »

Sorry, but can you not read?
both provide protection.

Bashing isn't the question here, protection is.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 08:47:31 pm »

Doesnt the artifact bonus apply to blocking?
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2011, 09:57:19 pm »

Slashing weapons: Adamantine
Blunt weapons (including crossbows): Silver
Shields: Copper
All Armor: Adamantine

Steel works well for all of these, as it's a metal and thus heavy (for bashing), strong (for armor), and holds an edge (for slashing).  However, if you have the resources, the above distribution is ideal.  Remember: shields don't care about material, featherwood and artifact adamantine both provide protection.
Do you have modded raws? I can't make crossbows out of silver.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2011, 11:53:08 am »

Do you have modded raws? I can't make crossbows out of silver.

Due to a bug you can buy them from merchants on occasion.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2011, 01:58:52 pm »

My bad, that's right.  Crossbows count as [WEAPON_RANGED] while every other weapon is [WEAPON] or something like that.  I keep forgetting about that distinction.  Crossbows should be copper, as it's the heaviest material available.  You can buy/steal silver crossbows, but they're almost always base quality and poor for use, especially if you can turn goblinite into ☼Copper Crossbow☼ by the dozen.  Still, my crossbows are always bone, because bone is plentiful and eventually a masterpiece comes out of that pile of 500 yak bones...
Pages: 1 [2]