Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem building a wall, creature occupying site?  (Read 2192 times)

TrullLulli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Problem building a wall, creature occupying site?
« on: August 28, 2011, 12:55:53 pm »

I'm just finishing the construction of a moatish sort of thing but it keeps getting suspended because theres a creature occupying the site, I can't see anything there and I could only assume theres a goblin thief there or something, I really have no clue. Has anyone had this problem before and what should I do to fix this? I might try and see if I can collapse the ground and hopefully whatever could be there will die.

I'm not sure how something hiding in ambush would get discovered but i've passed a marksdwarf through the area and dorfs used to use it for travelling into the fortress before the bridge got made, but didn't find him.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:07:22 pm by TrullLulli »

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
Re: Problem building a wall, creature occupying site?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 01:04:24 pm »

Flood the area of problem with magma. Your invisible creature will no longer be a problem.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

Ross Vernal

• Bay Watcher
  • Hilarity ensues.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 01:17:44 pm »

None of your random animals are there?

I get this problem all the time, and just wait a bit and un-suspend the project.

TrullLulli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 01:21:04 pm »

Probably not a goblin thief, I checked through runesmith and the only thief on the map later shanked a fisherman.
Also there appears to be no animals, when I go over it with K theres just some grass and a pool of rhecus macaque blood.

wrwr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 01:23:20 pm »

Build an archery target right behind it and let someone practice. Maybe this thing decloaks when it gets hit.

Edit: Is blood a creature classwise? Or is the check faulty? Try to reconstruct this situation with another pool of blood. If you can't build there too you found the problem.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:27:37 pm by wrwr »

TrullLulli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 01:42:53 pm »

Build an archery target right behind it and let someone practice. Maybe this thing decloaks when it gets hit.

Edit: Is blood a creature classwise? Or is the check faulty? Try to reconstruct this situation with another pool of blood. If you can't build there too you found the problem.

Marksdwarves aren't training at it, I set the rock that was used in the construction to be dumped from the tile but the dwarfs wont dump it, could be something to do with the rock?
A wall was built out of the same material on another pool of rhecus macaque blood without any problems.

I tried to rebuild the wall with the same type of rock, but one that's been hauled from the fortress and the same problem occured.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 01:46:15 pm by TrullLulli »

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 02:04:01 pm »

Did you use Runesmith to kill any creatures?  When you use Runesmith to kill something, it leaves the occupancy flag set on the tiles they were in, which means that the game still thinks there's a creature in that tile.  I know of no way to fix this.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 02:08:38 pm »

Cancel the job, unfordid and remove dump from the rock. it was prolly claimed by another dwarf for another job. now try building the wall again
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

TrullLulli

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 02:16:22 pm »

Did you use Runesmith to kill any creatures?  When you use Runesmith to kill something, it leaves the occupancy flag set on the tiles they were in, which means that the game still thinks there's a creature in that tile.  I know of no way to fix this.

Mmm it might be that, when the fortress was starting off I used runesmith to kill off some badgers, I checked it out in stonesense and I can see that theres something on the tile though, corpses don't show up in stonesense either.

Looks like the fortress might not last too long haha, when one of my woodcutters went on a tantrum a couple of year or two ago he destroyed the farm plot before getting his head caved in by a warhammer, and now the fortress is out of booze the military is getting depressed.

Trying to upload an image of the stonesense as I write.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:30:45 pm by TrullLulli »