Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Megabeast Mutilation Megaproject - (Updates Linked In First Post)  (Read 8101 times)

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Vivisectionist
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined

A breeding pair of quadriplegic, one headed hydras, and a massive bronze paperweight!

Story-
Pt 1: Gutter's Task
Pt 2: [WORKING ON IT]

This is my first "megaproject", and the adventurer portion of the task is now completed.

I generated a pocket world that has access to a lot of metals, then created a fortress dedicated to the creation of adamantine armor and weapons for an adventurer. This fortress was abandoned, and the armor and weapons were gathered by the adventurer, "Gutter", who set out to find a grouping of Megabeasts.

I found an area that I could embark around that contained two hydras, and a bronze colossus.

Rather than killing it, I cut the bronze colossus down to a heavily disfigured head and body. I then cut the hydras down to nothing but tail, body, and one head.
To prevent bleed-out after a neck is cut off, I ran away from the hydras, then fast-traveled to a town to rest.
After a suitable amount of healing time, I returned to the Hydra's lair to claim another neck.
When only the 4th head remained...

(I imagine the hydra has its heads in a bit of a cluster shape, such as-
7- oo -6
5- ooo -3
2- oo -1
With the yellow head being the fourth.)

... I once again let the hydra heal itself, then returned for the legs.

When the hydra became nothing more than a massive snake with a bulky torso, I let the adventurer reitire.

Now it's time to prepare a fortress.

The next step will be to embark over their homes, and seal them inside until I can capture a giant cave spider, in order to trap them in cages.

The fortress will be structured around their care and usage.

And this is but the start of my Megabeast-Maiming Missions.

I also have project, "Kiwi", which I will carry out if a wandering Roc enters the map.

This thread will be updated as new happenings occur.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 11:54:30 am by DoctorMonch »
You lock MonkeyHead's right upper arm with your left hand!
Don't make me Shift-A>Enter>a>Enter>Enter.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
Re: The Single Most Rage-Filled Megabeasts In The Dwarven Universe
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 06:59:33 am »

Holy crap. What fey came over you to conceive something so... dwarfy?

I demand progress pictures for this epic tale!
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 07:06:01 am »

Three things:

1.) Wait, what? (1337 it up if you like.)
 2.) I think I like the name. If one didn't read the post, the mind reels at "one headed hydra". (And really wonders at the thought of a quadriplegic being a threat unless s/he has a posse. Though we have all seen eight-legged quadrupeds, I think, so a quadriplegic eight-legged quadruped still has a good shot, neh?) [Fucking DF for making me have such thoughts.]
 3.) I have no advice. Sorry about that. Nut # 2 But # 2 couldn't help itself.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:20:17 am by C0NNULL »
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 07:12:09 am »

Very dorfy ambitions. Updates and screenshots as soon as possible please.

And why not just make a zoo like fort dedicated to such things? The paperweight could be used as a punishment(I.E. Bad dwarves get locked in a room with it chained to the corner.) or you could mod it to be trainable and chain it near a nobles desk to be used as an actual paperweight.

But how exactly you would collect these monstrosities to create a fort around? Maybe set up an area within your planned fortress embark as a trap? I don't play adv mode much so I'm not entirely sure about the intricacies that would be involved or if it would even be possible to lead the beasts to the spot but it would certainly be dwarfy as hell to try.

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2011, 07:13:56 am »

Holy crap. What fey came over you to conceive something so... dwarfy?

I demand progress pictures for this epic tale!

Truthfully?

I decapitated a Hydra in arena mode and thought-
"Huh... I wonder if it will live if I leave it alone for a while?"

So I left to go watch an episode of Zero Punctuation, and came back to see that it was no longer pale.
I cut all of its heads but one, and all legs off with this method, and then I just KNEW I had to bring this monstrosity into Fortress Mode.

But how exactly you would collect these monstrosities to create a fort around? Maybe set up an area within your planned fortress embark as a trap? I don't play adv mode much so I'm not entirely sure about the intricacies that would be involved or if it would even be possible to lead the beasts to the spot but it would certainly be dwarfy as hell to try.

In adventure mode, when you discover a lair or camp, it will show up on the embark map for fortress mode. As such, after I discover it and cut off its heads/legs, I'll just embark over the lair I found.

Also, thanks for the words of support, so far. That gave me the motivation I needed to ACTUALLY follow through with this.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 07:16:37 am by DoctorMonch »

NRDL

• Bay Watcher
  • I Actually Like Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2011, 07:16:06 am »

Very ambitious, very dwarfy. 

You sir, are a DF vivisectionist.  You should do this with other awesome animals. 
GOD DAMN IT NRDL.
NRDL will roll a die and decide how sadistic and insane he's feeling well you do.

PwndJa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2011, 07:30:06 am »

Very ambitious, very dwarfy. 

You sir, are a DF vivisectionist.  You should do this with other awesome animals.

Obviously giant badgers with their paws cut off and teeth knocked out. Leave them wild and laugh if they try to maim your dwarves.

DoctorMonch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • History Of Bowmined
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2011, 07:43:43 am »

Obviously giant badgers with their paws cut off and teeth knocked out. Leave them wild and laugh if they try to maim your dwarves.

I need someone with a Dwarven Science Degree in localized wounds.

This is a good idea.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2011, 08:00:00 am »

Wow, this will be nice :) Brutal, violent maiming of living beings, just because you can. I fail to see a downside.

Especially project Paperweigh. Just make sure the armor/axe are heavy enough, or in an extremely heavy bin so they don't move around too much.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2011, 12:18:27 pm »

This is a good idea.
you could get the guy who caused the eyes of his dorfs to rot out

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 28, 2011, 12:39:54 pm »

Syndromes are the best shot at localized damage.  Adventure mode is great for directed attacks too.  Using DFHack you can actually swap modes between adventure and fort mode, allowing you to jump into your soldier, hack off a leg, and jump back to overseer - in theory.  As I understand it's very buggy.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2011, 12:58:44 pm »

This is a good idea.
Yeah, we need franti here! His modded elves should be able to do anything, with sufficient preparations.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2011, 02:10:30 pm »

Be sure to prepare the Kiwi, Paperweight, Wyvern(?) (Cut the forelimbs off of a dragon), and so forth before you embark. Most of those you can catch in normal cage traps.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

franti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2011, 02:28:40 pm »

This is a good idea.
Yeah, we need franti here! His modded elves should be able to do anything, with sufficient preparations.
That didn't work out too well, actually. Custom workshops and reactions don't seem to "stick" to the civilization: even though I made a Brasswood plant that could be used to make weapons/armour, elves in my civ that I had no control over wouldn't use it. Elven caravan guards would still show up with Pine weapons, even though my whole army was wearing Brasswood. Same with custom Obsidian-carving workshops and fire-hardening.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2011, 02:30:57 pm by franti »
Adamantine, Steel, Pig Iron, Iron, Bronze, Bismuth Bronze, Platinum, Brass, Black Bronze, Billon, Rose Gold, Electrum, Bismuth, Aluminum, Gold, Copper, Tin, Sterling Silver, Silver, Nickel, Zinc, Lead, Nickel Silver, Trifle Pewter, Fine Pewter, Lay Pewter.

TheSummoner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 28, 2011, 02:51:24 pm »

A legless one-headed hydra is a good idea... But an eyeless, toothless, legless, one-headed hydra is a better idea.
Pages: [1] 2 3