Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12

Author Topic: Questions and Answers  (Read 19551 times)

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.jonathansfox.com/
Re: Questions and Answers
« Reply #75 on: December 12, 2011, 02:11:58 pm »

Question!

Is there any way to remove Supreme Court justices without getting the Amendment or whatever to have them all deported or waiting for each one to step down?

No. But if they're stopping you from winning, you should get the Amendment to boot them out.

Yeah, I was just wondering, I've never had them stop me from winning I don't think. Just something I was wondering. I thought I read somewhere that there was another way to kick them out or something lol

There have been a number of suggestions about assassinating or otherwise forcing one to resign, but nothing actually implemented.

Pesi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 19, 2011, 02:25:06 pm »

More questions for the Fox:

What makes publishing Corporate files so special that it has the potential to give more likability to the LCS than any of the other publishable things?

Why the two different ways of giving armor to a creature?
Armor a=Armor( and armor=new Armor(

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 19, 2011, 06:28:46 pm »

What makes publishing Corporate files so special that it has the potential to give more likability to the LCS than any of the other publishable things?

I don't know.

Why the two different ways of giving armor to a creature?
Armor a=Armor( and armor=new Armor(

I can explain the syntax, but more than that I'll need context.

Armor a=Armor(
Copies an existing object, casts it as an Armor object, and stores the copy in a newly created temporary variable named "a".

armor=new Armor(
Creates a new Armor object in dynamic memory and stores a pointer to that Armor object in an existing variable named "armor".

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 19, 2011, 06:55:07 pm »

got another one!

Is there anywhere that we can find the breakdowns of what the starting choices do for stats besides testing all the combinations? the first choice seems particularly vague about what kind of stats you get from it.

Also, how do you access the crack house as a safehouse, it defaults to not being a safehouse but ended up as one in one of my runs.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 07:00:03 pm by BoxOfAids »

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 19, 2011, 06:59:50 pm »

http://lcs.wikidot.com/questions

Not sure if it's outdated or anything, but it seems at least fairly correct.

As for the crack house, you have to shoot it up quite a bit--literally--before it becomes a safehouse.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Pesi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 19, 2011, 07:02:19 pm »

The context is just that I was reading through creaturetypes.cpp and noticed that inside the switch(type) there were these two ways of giving a creature armor. To my knowledge, neither way has the creature in question walk around in casual clothing when they shouldn't. Armor* armor and Armor a had both already been defined beforehand and the only difference seems to be that Armor a=Armor( is used where there's an if-clause between the case the the armor-giving and armor=new Armor( when not. I wondered if there was something about the ifs that necessitated it, though I wouldn't know what that could possibly be; and was thinking that a single way would be better. It also struck me as odd that a would get re-defined every time it was used.

The first question was about the fact that publishing stuff other than corporate files does this:

change_public_opinion(VIEW_LIBERALCRIMESQUAD,10);
      change_public_opinion(VIEW_LIBERALCRIMESQUADPOS,10);

...and publishing corporate files does this:

change_public_opinion(VIEW_LIBERALCRIMESQUAD,newspaper*10);
      change_public_opinion(VIEW_LIBERALCRIMESQUADPOS,newspaper*10);

where "newspaper" is the number of locations that contain a printing press.
It seems to have been like this from the very beginning.
----
@BoxOfAids:
Right here:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: December 19, 2011, 07:03:45 pm »

Thanks for the answers!

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 19, 2011, 08:38:25 pm »

I don't know.

This is perhaps the most ridiculous answer to a question that I have ever seen. Huh. Should it be marked down as a bug that should be fixed, or be treated as a little 'surprise' mechanic?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 19, 2011, 08:46:45 pm »

Last one, I promise!

For jury-tampering (when you infiltrate the courthouse), what determines whether or not it's successful? Is it Law, Persuasion, stat-based, or... what?

Oh and a rhetorical question: I know that sleeper effectiveness varying is a "feature", but why is it that it's always that ALL of them seem go down at the same time, leaving me with 3 sleepers under 20% effectiveness after 2-3 months  >:(
« Last Edit: December 19, 2011, 08:49:59 pm by BoxOfAids »

Pesi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 19, 2011, 08:51:40 pm »

Being able to say "I don't know" is how you become a scientist. And not one of those conservative eminent scientists, either. a PROPER scientist.

@BoxOfAids: You must succeed on a law skill check AND a persuasion skill check. The law skill check is harder.

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 19, 2011, 08:56:04 pm »

Being able to say "I don't know" is how you become a scientist. And not one of those conservative eminent scientists, either. a PROPER scientist.

@BoxOfAids: You must succeed on a law skill check AND a persuasion skill check. The law skill check is harder.

Oho, so I was DOUBLE-RIGHT. Better start training up that law skill...

Jonathan S. Fox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: December 20, 2011, 03:29:12 am »

The context is just that I was reading through creaturetypes.cpp and noticed that inside the switch(type) there were these two ways of giving a creature armor. To my knowledge, neither way has the creature in question walk around in casual clothing when they shouldn't. Armor* armor and Armor a had both already been defined beforehand and the only difference seems to be that Armor a=Armor( is used where there's an if-clause between the case the the armor-giving and armor=new Armor( when not. I wondered if there was something about the ifs that necessitated it, though I wouldn't know what that could possibly be; and was thinking that a single way would be better. It also struck me as odd that a would get re-defined every time it was used.

I'm too tired to be certain, it's a ridiculously long function, and I didn't double check how the rest of those calls work exactly, but from what I can tell from the file they're equivalent in the end, with one exception: Given that the armor variable has to be dereferenced when passing it to the character, I suspect armor=new Armor( causes a memory leak unless armor is deleted at the end of the function.

The first question was about the fact that publishing stuff other than corporate files does this:

change_public_opinion(VIEW_LIBERALCRIMESQUAD,10);
      change_public_opinion(VIEW_LIBERALCRIMESQUADPOS,10);

...and publishing corporate files does this:

change_public_opinion(VIEW_LIBERALCRIMESQUAD,newspaper*10);
      change_public_opinion(VIEW_LIBERALCRIMESQUADPOS,newspaper*10);

where "newspaper" is the number of locations that contain a printing press.
It seems to have been like this from the very beginning.

Yeah, it should probably be consistent.

I don't know.

This is perhaps the most ridiculous answer to a question that I have ever seen. Huh. Should it be marked down as a bug that should be fixed, or be treated as a little 'surprise' mechanic?

Knowing the exact difference, it's safe to say that it's a bug. But it's also sufficiently subtle that it'll probably never be noticed in the game, and as such is the type of thing that AAA studios would not bother to fix. (They care, but not enough to assign devs to it over all other possible tasks.)

The problem is a symptom of a bad coding practice, probably on my part; the different special editions should share enough code that this isn't possible.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2011, 03:32:05 am by Jonathan S. Fox »

BoxOfAids

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 20, 2011, 12:52:30 pm »

I didn't think it would be THAT hard, I threw a guy with 13 persuasion and 7 law at it and failed  :o

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 22, 2011, 02:25:47 pm »

Considering the randomness of the whole thing, 7 is a pretty low number for some checks.

I don't know.
Knowing the exact difference, it's safe to say that it's a bug. But it's also sufficiently subtle that it'll probably never be noticed in the game, and as such is the type of thing that AAA studios would not bother to fix. (They care, but not enough to assign devs to it over all other possible tasks.)

The problem is a symptom of a bad coding practice, probably on my part; the different special editions should share enough code that this isn't possible.

Has any considered that perhaps the American public just really hates Corporations?

Oh, and it really doesn't take much violence to take over any location in LCS.  If you fight off two encounters in-site, you'll probably get the location.  Even if your squad is wiped out.

Pesi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2012, 12:00:18 am »

About the house/senate elections:
How did the current election-simulation come to be? Toady's original version behaved the way post-termlimit-amendment behaves currently, and the first sourceforge version already contains the "simulate incumbency"-part.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12