Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Bows/X-bows overshadowed by Throwing?  (Read 4727 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: Bows/X-bows overshadowed by Throwing?
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 03:14:08 pm »

That is the main problem. Bows/X-bows aren't balanced the same way throwing is.

If I wanted to have an marksman adventurer, I'd have to carry a lot of ammo to be able to kill stuff.

A set of 25 arrows is heavier than an iron shield.

Also, bows take more than twice as long to shoot than throwing (x-bows thrice).

Throwing currently has no disadvantage whatsoever. You can throw whatever the fuck you want, be more weight-efficient, easier to train (thus being able to be more accurate in a shorter time) and not only that, but you do roughly the same damage as well (launchers? nah, i'll just flick arrows and bolts with my wrists)

I'm pretty sure throwing is less accurate and the projectiles don't have the same velocity, that means less damage.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 03:31:01 pm »

That is the main problem. Bows/X-bows aren't balanced the same way throwing is.

If I wanted to have an marksman adventurer, I'd have to carry a lot of ammo to be able to kill stuff.

A set of 25 arrows is heavier than an iron shield.

Also, bows take more than twice as long to shoot than throwing (x-bows thrice).

Throwing currently has no disadvantage whatsoever. You can throw whatever the fuck you want, be more weight-efficient, easier to train (thus being able to be more accurate in a shorter time) and not only that, but you do roughly the same damage as well (launchers? nah, i'll just flick arrows and bolts with my wrists)

I'm pretty sure throwing is less accurate and the projectiles don't have the same velocity, that means less damage.

Less is all relative. If it takes off limbs either way, then "less" doesn't effectively change much.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 04:05:12 pm »

Less is all relative. If it takes off limbs either way, then "less" doesn't effectively change much.

That depends on what your aiming at, especially if they have armor. I often have a hard time getting a thrown weapon to do anything through leather clothing.

Cheveux

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 06:06:37 pm »

I agree that throwing might be a little overpowered.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 07:50:30 pm »

other ranged enemies can:

- Shoot you across the screen without needing to see you
AAARRRGGHH!!!!! That is SO damn annoying. When I have to go and kill a (cross)bowman bandit, I get shot at. EVERY. SINGLE. GODDAMN TIME.

Here's how it works:

Your turn: you step into sight of the bandit archer
His turn: fires an arrow at you with no delay, possibly causing injury or death
Your turn: you can now see what happened, and act again

This is why you bring companions when hunting a bandit leader who is a skilled archer. The first guy to enter his sight usually ends up with an arrow between the eyes.

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 09:43:27 pm »

other ranged enemies can:

- Shoot you across the screen without needing to see you
AAARRRGGHH!!!!! That is SO damn annoying. When I have to go and kill a (cross)bowman bandit, I get shot at. EVERY. SINGLE. GODDAMN TIME.

Here's how it works:

Your turn: you step into sight of the bandit archer
His turn: fires an arrow at you with no delay, possibly causing injury or death
Your turn: you can now see what happened, and act again

This is why you bring companions when hunting a bandit leader who is a skilled archer. The first guy to enter his sight usually ends up with an arrow between the eyes.

Or you learn how to dodge bullets arrows.  8)
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2011, 06:16:23 pm »

funny, i seem to kick serious ass with my iron crossbow and iron bolts, i'v managed to 1 shot things, and shooting things you cant see is just a matter of knowing about where they are in, i'v done it before.

but i do agree i seem to shoot alot slower then the npcs do but i havnt had any problems with them 1 shoting me all the time, might be cus i'm sneaky and usually disarm them before they get a shot off but still.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 05, 2011, 11:31:42 pm »

The big problem is that reload time on bows/crossbows is ridiculous and (worse) mandatory.  At close range with no allies, you have to take out all your opponents on the first shot, or someone is going to beat you to death over the several turns while your guy stands there like an idiot trying to reload his weapon.  In every other regard, throwing is worse, but no reload is a massive advantage.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2011, 08:04:17 am »

The fact that every thrown object speeds up at a very fast rate per tile throws off reality by a longshot, I once picked up a cloth hat from the bandit I was wrestling and threw it at him. It got past his leather tunic and lodged itself in his right floating rib.

But a small thing with throwing vs archery/marksmanship is that you can edit the arrows/bolts to be more deadly in their penetration/hit area. Bolts are designed to pierce armor (medieval period anti-knights) while arrows are the normal projectile. Crossbows take a tiny bit longer to reload than bows. I just wish the new patch allows us to have more control on 'reload time' of bows and crossbows other than standing still in a heated battle.

Dynastia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 11:52:15 am »

I suggest a minimum weight for thrown objects ; anything under this weight (like socks and arrows) gets all blunt damage reduced by 90%, but does full edge/pierce damage. In addition, a raw tag [THROW STABILISED] to be put on anything designed for throwing, like spears or throwing axes. Anything else you throw (like arrows) has a massive penalty to accuracy and 80-90% chance of doing blunt damage if it hits (which may also be reduced by the minimum weight penalty).

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 04:03:20 pm »

In my experience throwing an arrow causes injuries similar to if not identical to fired arrows--bleeding, shattered bone etc.

My strategy for surviving enemy archers is ducking around trees to constantly break line of sight and force them too shoot at companions instead and crawling when necessary (dunno if this actually helps or just seems to help)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2011, 05:39:43 am »

crawling when necessary (dunno if this actually helps or just seems to help)
It helps the 'miss' rate. But a skilled archer (not the literal stat) is able to hit a prone target.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2011, 10:37:06 am »

The fact that every thrown object speeds up at a very fast rate per tile throws off reality by a longshot

Huh? Isn't that the same concept as a Railgun or Coilgun or Particle cannon?

Also the key to remember here that in a fight the most important blow is the first.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2011, 11:52:59 am »

I suggest a minimum weight for thrown objects ; anything under this weight (like socks and arrows) gets all blunt damage reduced by 90%, but does full edge/pierce damage. In addition, a raw tag [THROW STABILISED] to be put on anything designed for throwing, like spears or throwing axes. Anything else you throw (like arrows) has a massive penalty to accuracy and 80-90% chance of doing blunt damage if it hits (which may also be reduced by the minimum weight penalty).

I like this idea, but I think after a certain level more objects should become [THROW STABILIZED]. I mean a peasant realistically wouldn't be able to throw an arrow or say a dagger in any efficient way but a pro could probably employ enough technique to hid blade first more accurately.

BeforeLifer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2011, 05:49:35 pm »

Maby make it something like [THROW STABILIZED:8] And you would need to be whatever level 8 is to get rid of the penalty?
Any thoughts on how this can be abused?
Around these parts It's called weaponized
Pages: 1 [2] 3