Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 2D games with radial gravity and 3d games with gravity?  (Read 2058 times)

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
2D games with radial gravity and 3d games with gravity?
« on: August 21, 2011, 10:18:57 am »

We know it all, gravity, but everyone misconcepts it as some kind of motion towards a flat plane.

But are there any games, besides Orbiter, KSP, Spacewar! etc. With gravity?
I once played a game called sideroller wich is a platformer with radial gravity, it was nice and sandboxy.
But are there other games wich arent boring puzzles like "Gravity Golf"?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 2D games with radial gravity and 3d games with gravity?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2011, 04:50:40 pm »

My first thought was Mario Galaxy, although that's probably not at all what you mean :/

There was also this little freeware platformer...Ah ha! Found it. It's nothing amazing, but it seems to fit the bill for what you're looking for.

Also, this might be more successful in Other Games. Them people know games.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2011, 05:19:52 pm »

There's a little game, forget its name now, that comes with (or, of course is package-manager-equiv addable to) various Linux distros, with a number of 'planets' and two firing platforms (1P+CPU or 2P) that angle and speed their shots to slingshot... (it's not called Slingshot is it?)... their bullets to hit the other firing platform through the various gravity wells in-between.  Might be worth trying to track down what it's called.  It'd be free/GPL/whatever.

And xpilot, of times past, could have gravity wells (and anti-gravity ones) dotted around the 2D environment, so you could make a level with a whole bunch of gravity wells in clumps surrounded by killing-tiles (or at least overwhelmingly damaging ones) which made for an interesting navigational exercise by the Asteroids-style space-ships (and their bullets/missiles/etc).  Haven't played that for... 18-20 years, though.  No idea if it's still around, or changed beyond all recognition.  Also probably GNU-ish.  If not then, then certainly by now if it is community maintained code.

(BTW, I'm sure more people misconceive it as something to do with an atmosphere ((as in, suck the air out of a chamber and the suited astronaut inside will no longer be subject to Earth's gravity...  or so some fiction would have you believe[1])) than associate it with a flat plane.  But I know what you mean...)

[1] Closely related, I suppose, to the whole fictional representation of being on a ship (or even moon-base) with artificial gravity (usually exotic and non-centripetal, but sometimes even then!) but starting to float (or experience 1/6th gravity) when your airlock is evacuated...  That's probably something to do with the "gravity plating" under the airlock, or whatever, being phased off at the same time as the air is thinned, though.  Logical enough to do, if you had the facility to do that.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2011, 08:15:56 am »

There's a little game, forget its name now, that comes with (or, of course is package-manager-equiv addable to) various Linux distros, with a number of 'planets' and two firing platforms (1P+CPU or 2P) that angle and speed their shots to slingshot... (it's not called Slingshot is it?)... their bullets to hit the other firing platform through the various gravity wells in-between.  Might be worth trying to track down what it's called.  It'd be free/GPL/whatever.

And xpilot, of times past, could have gravity wells (and anti-gravity ones) dotted around the 2D environment, so you could make a level with a whole bunch of gravity wells in clumps surrounded by killing-tiles (or at least overwhelmingly damaging ones) which made for an interesting navigational exercise by the Asteroids-style space-ships (and their bullets/missiles/etc).  Haven't played that for... 18-20 years, though.  No idea if it's still around, or changed beyond all recognition.  Also probably GNU-ish.  If not then, then certainly by now if it is community maintained code.

(BTW, I'm sure more people misconceive it as something to do with an atmosphere ((as in, suck the air out of a chamber and the suited astronaut inside will no longer be subject to Earth's gravity...  or so some fiction would have you believe[1])) than associate it with a flat plane.  But I know what you mean...)

[1] Closely related, I suppose, to the whole fictional representation of being on a ship (or even moon-base) with artificial gravity (usually exotic and non-centripetal, but sometimes even then!) but starting to float (or experience 1/6th gravity) when your airlock is evacuated...  That's probably something to do with the "gravity plating" under the airlock, or whatever, being phased off at the same time as the air is thinned, though.  Logical enough to do, if you had the facility to do that.

Eh thanks guys, imma move this thing to other games.. already made quite a few questions about gravity games though..
My first thought was Mario Galaxy, although that's probably not at all what you mean :/

There was also this little freeware platformer...Ah ha! Found it. It's nothing amazing, but it seems to fit the bill for what you're looking for.

Also, this might be more successful in Other Games. Them people know games.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Skeeblix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2011, 08:52:47 am »

XPilot is still available online, including a Windows version, last updated January of 2010, and is still great fun to play with the bots that come with the program. The online community is all but dead these days, or at least it was as far as I could tell on my last attempt to really play. The metaservers still run AFAIK, and you may be able to find a few people to pewpew it out with.

I really dig this game for the sheer complexity of hings you can do, and while it might not be pretty, just try totell me there's not mass amounts of fun to be had launching multiple cluster-mini-imploding nukes at your foes (provided you can stockpile enough of the pickups to do so). There's craptons of pickup items that do everything from increase the number of bullets your main gun fires to emergency thrusters which grant you a boost of WTFspeed for a quick escape (or lulzy death if you smash into a wall). It's space combat in 2D done perfectly, not to mention the different gametypes like capture the ball, where you must fly into the enemy base without getting pewpew'd to death, grapple onto a ball-type object whose mass then affects how your ship handles and consumes fuel, and then make it all the way back to your base without either getting the ball destroyed or yourself blown to pieces. Add in the fact that your ship has limited fuel, and you may have to stop and restock or your shields will go down and you'll basically become bulletfood.

The game also comes coupled with a map editor and a program that allows you to create your own custom ship shape, though the game comes prepackaged with a billion of them.

I would be down with getting a B12 XPilot community going, including online training for anyone who may be interested. The game is a blast and pretty much infinitely replayable because of all the various pickups and goofy situations they can get you into and out of

Check it out if you get a chance.

www.xpilot.org

EDIT: There doesn't appear to be a Windows build of the latest official release. Virtual machine or bust, as far as I can tell. Unless some adventurous soul wants to port it. In which case I would probably pay money. Probably.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2011, 09:30:55 am by Skeeblix »
This is not a signature.

Trappin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Caz

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:comforting whirs]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 10:32:56 am »

How about Frozzd? 2d gravity platformer.

http://sandbox.yoyogames.com/games/20523-frozzd

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:37:34 pm »

The game also comes coupled with a map editor and a program that allows you to create your own custom ship shape,

Well, that's a (predictable, if a little depressing to this geek) change.  When I was playing, you hand-crafted both ship-shape and levels in a text editor.  If I was feeling particularly artistic (...fly around the Mona Lisa's face?  Why not!) I might pipe a base image through one or other of the anytopnm utilities and into the mapfile-to-be, which I could then performed the appropriate character replacement[1] on tidied it up and added the appropriate header addition. :)

As for ships, I tended to go for seemingly random squiggles (and strangely positioned navigation lights) which meant that opponents had to spend a moment working out which direction I was facing.  Still didn't help my occasionally crash-and-burn game-play!

I may have to reacquaint myself, when I've got time.

[1] With emacs[2] (which I can just barely remember how to use, now!) you've got the tools to replace half-tones with half-blocks orientated according to not just the character before and after, but the equivalent ones on the lines above and below...

[2] And I suspect this was true of vi, before we start the traditional editor-wars... :)