Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How does Shearing work?  (Read 1660 times)

veok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How does Shearing work?
« on: August 20, 2011, 07:58:27 pm »

How can I make it so a creature can be shorn?  What happens if you try to make a non-hair tissue shearable? Can custom tissue materials result in usable shorn objects?

(And this is only tangentially related, but do ITEM_CORPSE items appear when an animal is butchered?)

thepaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How does Shearing work?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2011, 09:15:10 pm »

Im on my phone now so I cant look up the specific tags,  but you need to designate the tissue as shearable and at what length it is shearable. you also need to specify a growth rate for the tissue. Note  that tissue is shearable, but bones are not. There was actally a post by girlinhat about this very subject. In the thread someone had made a dwarven barber shop. The trimmed hair retained the name of the dwarf it was cut from.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2011, 09:43:05 pm »

you basicly need 2 things, first oyu need to add the yarn tag to the hair matieral, and maybe want to rename it into woll and fur (the hoof/horn stuff is optional, in this case i copied it from cowlike cattle)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

then you need to add that hair grows, this is done bei the select_caste:all thngie next to the "hair" colors
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2011, 03:39:44 am »

You can also make everything shearable.
Even bones.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2011, 03:33:31 pm »

Even bones.
Mmm...
MMMmmaa...

MMMAAAGGGMMAAAAAAAA

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2011, 10:52:46 pm »

Just out of interest, is it possible to have multiple shearable layers on one creature? I'm working on new ents for My Little Fortress, and things like bananas should be shearable for both fruit and leaves(usable for making thread and cloth). I'll probably just get on with it and do the ‼science‼, but has anyone tried it already?

Shearable magma might produce problems with it turning into a splatter, better make a rock cow that can be milked for it, using a nether cap bucket. Just be careful you don't milk the bulls.

thepaan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2011, 04:56:15 am »

Even bones.
If by "bones" you mean part of the skeleton, as opposed to a horn or tusk, then I am fairly cerain you are wrong. Could you post an example of a shearable skeleton?

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2011, 05:27:24 am »

Even bones.
If by "bones" you mean part of the skeleton, as opposed to a horn or tusk, then I am fairly cerain you are wrong. Could you post an example of a shearable skeleton?

Bone is considered a tissue layer, therefore you could make it a shearable one, in theory. You might even be able to just add:

Code: [Select]
[TISSUE_LAYER_APPEARANCE_MODIFIER:LENGTH:0:0:0:0:0:0:0]
[APP_MOD_RATE:1:DAILY:0:300:0:0:NO_END]
[SHEARABLE_TISSUE_LAYER:LENGTH:90]

to the bone template in tissue_template.txt and shear it off of anything, though how useful this will be, I don't know. Standard reactions that call for tissues tend to want the butchered parts, though sheared bone might well work, since it's probably considered a body part.