Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14

Author Topic: Picture Wars Sandbox  (Read 14244 times)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
Re: Picture Wars Sandbox
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2011, 02:18:29 pm »

Declare.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 28, 2011, 02:24:38 pm »

Commander: Follow me!
Rocketbot: Yes sir!
Gunner: Ye- Ahhhhhhhh!

As the soldier falls, a radiobot arrives on scene.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 29, 2011, 04:52:05 pm »

Also, I'd like some tips on my army:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 29, 2011, 05:25:02 pm »

You arms needed to be shaded to show which one is in front and behind(lighter in front darker in back and you drone needs some shading to other then that pretty good.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

RandomRabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 29, 2011, 06:05:55 pm »

I'm currently working on my first PW army, only a few poses have been done. I'm yet to shade and detail the helicopter, though I am a tad conflicted about the design. I wanted it to feel like a lightweight fast and simple helicopter. The appearance is like a giant RC helicopter.

As this is my first army, and I have little experience in pixel art some critique would be fabulous. Last of all, how is a sandbox game actually played. I understand people declare they will make the next edit, but is there some sort of limit to when a player can make his move.

Also, I found this on the picture wars forum and I believe it would be great help for any wanting to build a army. Do note this is not mine:

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 29, 2011, 06:38:03 pm »

Mine are 33 pixels tall... Maybe they're mechs?

RandomRabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 29, 2011, 07:07:50 pm »

Mine are 33 pixels tall... Maybe they're mechs?

They do not have to be, most of the humanoids in this match are larger than those represented on the chart. There is no real scale of what is human should be.

EDIT: Just finished a quick texture for the helicopter, I feel I might want to replace the helicopter later on.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 07:24:44 pm by RandomRabbit »

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 29, 2011, 07:23:38 pm »

Went ahead and added some pixely shading. I decided to keep them as stick figures because 1. they're easier to draw that way and 2. there was a dude with cubes, why can't there be sticks? :P
So what do you think now? Are they entrance-worthy?
Also, are we allowed to change existing terrain (like building a bridge, mining, stuff blowing up)?
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

RandomRabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 29, 2011, 07:36:06 pm »

Went ahead and added some pixely shading. I decided to keep them as stick figures because 1. they're easier to draw that way and 2. there was a dude with cubes, why can't there be sticks? :P
So what do you think now? Are they entrance-worthy?
Also, are we allowed to change existing terrain (like building a bridge, mining, stuff blowing up)?

The army is quite readable, and that is always a positive thing. Just as a suggestion I would raise shoulder/arms so they do not have huge necks. If you feel you want to progress the army, you can always try building armor on-top of the stickmen. That should make things much easier.

Constructions are allowed in some matches while in others they are not. 'Blowing stuff up' can always lead to fun matches, especially if it includes environmental damage. Picture a rocket hitting the the monorail, the rail swings off like a rope and the carts drop down into sea below. The enemy desperately leaps off before it falls and grabs the hand of his team-mate. That makes more epic matches.

From what I have read the general rule of weapons that cause large amounts of destruction is that the missile/bomb/grenade is pictured before it hits the target. As an example you would draw a rocket shooting out your RPG, then the next turn the other person draws it hitting the target. This avoids random explosions propping up suddenly.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 29, 2011, 07:56:31 pm »

I'd love someone to delcare. And one of you might make an army thread for the making, updating, and disucussing of armies.

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: August 29, 2011, 07:59:39 pm »

Also RandomRabbit The weapons can have a warm up too.

Edit: made a thread about PIcture wars dudes.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2011, 08:09:15 pm by stabbymcstabstab »
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

RandomRabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 29, 2011, 08:04:46 pm »

I'll give it a try and declare with my current army.

RandomRabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 29, 2011, 08:23:47 pm »

The helicopter swings low above the tracks, dropping the armored car and three infantry. One jumps off ahead of the vehicle, only to realize it rolling back at him. He leaps into sprint, narrowly avoiding being hit.

The light machine gunner smirks at his embarrassing brother, then calls out to the scout "Oi, any idea 'ow we getting off this track?".

With a sigh, the scout begins to get out some rope out. "Don't worry, I have things sorted. Continue with your idiocy."

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 29, 2011, 08:29:20 pm »

Declare.

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 29, 2011, 08:46:47 pm »

The gunners head plops off with clang. It's body stiffens as the cyberbrain disconnects.
"Hostiles!"
"Potential hostiles. I'm going to attempt diplomacy. Stand here and hold ready."

The radiobot jumps over the hole without a word.

Meanwhile, in orbit...

Two Robotic Conglamorate frigates and their fighter squadrons sit in the emptyness of space.

"This is Zebra 1 contacting Elephant 3, copy"
"We copy. No conacts in sight."

OOC: PPW go!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 14