Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Inter-system combat games  (Read 2619 times)

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
Inter-system combat games
« on: August 16, 2011, 11:59:30 am »

So, I am having a party with my friends, and as usual we are going to set up a bunch of PC's and play some games later this week.

We have other games, however Conquest: Frontier wars was fascinating.  We all really enjoyed the building system, the multiple solar systems, limited resources, etc.  The combat gets old pretty fast though.  You spend a bunch of time training an admiral, building a big fleet, then the fleet slowly moves itself into position.  It proceeds to stay perfectly still, and pew pew pew's until said fleet either wins or dies horribly.

Do you guys know of any games like frontier wars but with better combat?  It would be cool if the ships at least moved around, and had some means of escape like subspace or something.

Its also possible that me and my buddies are just playing completely wrong, if so I'm cool with someone calling me an idiot and telling me the right way to play.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:06:49 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Inter-system combat games
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2011, 12:33:05 pm »

Is it OK if I just call you an idiot? I never heard of that game so I won't be able to tell you how to play the right way.

EDIT: AI wars might be what you mean. I didn't really like it but you perhaps do..
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 12:41:57 pm by Dutchling »

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2011, 12:37:49 pm »

Sword of the Stars is a bit bigger scale than that, I think, but it has real-time spaceship combat in addition to galaxy-scale empire-managing (research, ship building, etc).

Star Wars Empire at War has this kind of thing, although it seems kind of lacking in fun compared to other games (Sword of the Stars is pretty awesome, but not something you can finish a game of in a single LAN party unless you do a really small galaxy, probably).

I haven't played Sins of a Solar Empire but it might be the kind of thing you're looking for.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

stabbymcstabstab

• Bay Watcher
  • OW SNAP!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2011, 12:42:47 pm »

Sins combat is pretty much the same type of combat but theres usally a lot of ships so its best if the stay still must of the time the Ai sends about 50+ ships at one time so if you have Entranchment build mines lots and lots of mines.
Long Live Arst- United Forenia!
"Wanna be a better liberal? Go get shot in the fuckin' face."
Contemplate why we have a sociopathic necrophiliac RAPIST sadomasochist bipolar monster in our ranks, also find some cheese.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2011, 01:04:37 pm »

Actually sins has a lot of little ships swooping around and dodging and stuff. I just don't think any of it is reflected mechanically, heh.

Still a really fun game.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2011, 01:24:07 pm »

Downloading sword of the stars demo.

Also: Sweet, I can get copies from amazon prime for $2.45!

Thanks for the help so far guys.

EDIT:
Is it OK if I just call you an idiot? I never heard of that game so I won't be able to tell you how to play the right way.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 01:29:50 pm by QuakeIV »
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

ndkid

• Bay Watcher
  • Player of Games
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2011, 01:38:23 pm »

The above post may be the best response to a troll I've ever seen. Style points for QuakeIV!

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2011, 01:40:20 pm »

A great response indeed.
*saving the file*

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2011, 01:59:13 pm »

Style points gained.
QuakeIV has levelled up!

Back on topic:

Sword of the stars looked cool, but me and my buddies don't really enjoy playing turn based games with eachother.

Is there anything like that that is real time?

Iv played empire at war, theres going to be more than two people.
We also want to fight each other not AI's so AI war wont really work.

Ill be investigating sins of a solar empire, pretty sure I already checked that game out a while ago though.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:05:26 pm by QuakeIV »
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2011, 02:20:21 pm »

Sword of the stars looked cool, but me and my buddies don't really enjoy playing turn based games with eachother.

Is there anything like that that is real time?

SotS combat is real time...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2011, 02:32:19 pm »

Hrm, well you could try Imperium Galactica 2... not sure if that one had multiplayer or not. It was most certainly realtime, even if the starship/planetary combat was still in a separate timeframe.

I can't remember any other decent (I mean *decent*) games like that, but I suppose you could always try Star Trek Armada II if you ever felt like it. No system separation IIRC, but ships can somewhat easily break combat by going to warp.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

lastverb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2011, 02:47:06 pm »

Star Ruler - everything all mentioned above games (excluding ig2 becuse that old game outclass every newer one posted here) have in real time + possible maaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssive ships + multiple galaxies.

Felius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2011, 04:24:53 pm »

Star Ruler - everything all mentioned above games (excluding ig2 becuse that old game outclass every newer one posted here) have in real time + possible maaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssive ships + multiple galaxies.
Also note that, while Star Ruler is awesome, it's has a steep learning curve and is both twitchy (specially in the early game) and long. Also, you'll be murdered and abused by the AI, it's really freaking good.

On another note, one of the awesomest things in Star Ruler is that you choose the scale. Want to build a drone so small it can't even be seen in the map even if you zoom? Go ahead. Want to build a monstrosity bigger then the galaxy? You can do that too. (It's probably going to take a few days real time though... :P )
"Why? We're the Good Guys, aren't we?"
"Yes, but that rather hinges on doing certain things and not doing others." - Paraphrased from Discworld.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 07:25:49 pm »

After some more investigation, I have purchased Sins of a Solar Empire.

Thanks for your help guys, I think that game will be sufficient.

However more ideas are welcome.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 09:09:01 pm »

Homeworld has real-time 3d space combat with a fairly deep tactical system, including various formations, specialized ships, limited fuel for fighters, etc., but as it is a straight-up RTS you lose the empire-building aspect. So it depends on what you want.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: [1] 2