Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia XXVI - Scum Win!  (Read 62824 times)

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVI 7/7, 3/3 - Pregame Banter
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2011, 10:40:45 pm »

Backtobasesix, who would you target tonight if you were a doctor? Why?

My Sig
Quote from: The Binder of Shame: RPGnet Rants
"We're in his toilet. We're in Cthulhu's toilet."

""Hey! No breaking character while breaking character"

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia XXVI 7/7, 3/3 - Day 1 - Hazards of the Trench
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2011, 11:49:03 pm »

Absentee IC, would you like to join us?
No, I hate you. :I

IronyOwl: If you were scum, who would you want to be the cop?
Tricky question, made trickier by the fact that I don't know most of the people here.

The thing is, you generally want someone who's not especially good at the game for obvious reasons, but very bad people tend to not know what to do and thus default to inspecting an IC. That's no good. You need someone who either follows the ICs around so much that they inspect whoever the ICs are going for, or someone independent enough to verify suspicions on their own, ideally without being good enough to catch on to you.

The absolute ideal, though, is someone who gets into a useless tunneling match with another townie and then gets themselves lynched.

I don't know most of the people here very well, though, so it's hard for me to come up with specific names. Best guess would probably be McArathos and hope he inspects someone other than me, plus the fact that he'll probably be high on the kill list anyway.

ed boy, do you suspect McArathos?

backtobasesix, you should probably play soon.

Orangebottle, now that your attempts to scumhunt zombie have been ruined, are you just giving up on the project?
Quote from: Radio Controlled (Discord)
A hand, a hand, my kingdom for a hot hand!
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

zombie urist

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_LIVING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2011, 12:48:56 am »

I don't know most of the people here very well, though, so it's hard for me to come up with specific names. Best guess would probably be McArathos and hope he inspects someone other than me, plus the fact that he'll probably be high on the kill list anyway.
What do you mean by 'kill list'? Lynching? NK? Either way, why do you say that he'll probably be high on the list? 

backtobasesix: Why are you being so passive?
The worst part of all of this is that Shakerag won.

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2011, 12:54:54 am »

While you are right, Orange, you hardly need to come to my defense, especially since you are the focus of my attention. What were you expecting him to say, other than that he overlooked it? I miss posts every now and again, so am I equally as guilty?

I'm not trying to come to your defense, though that may have been the end result. One needs to pay attention if they want to catch scum in this game. The fact that he missed a post this early is suspicious to me, mostly because there's a lot less to miss. I knew he wouldn't say much beyond "Doh! Missed that one!" or similar. That wasn't the point. I was trying to see how he reacts to suspicion. Of course, you had to jump in and ruin that. And yes, you would be equally guilty if you had missed a post this early.

I find your logic and tactic here questionable, Orange.  Firstly, we weren't out of RVS when you tried this, so the idea that someone's reaction to suspicion that early on could be a good tell seems flimsy.  No one typically has suspicions this early on, at least not solid ones, so it's doubtful anyone would even care you were suspicious.

Next, there may not be many tells to read, but there's not much content to them either.  Everyone is concerned with asking questions and reading the replies to the questions they asked, before asking more.  A missed RVS softball question is not the sort of thing to really fuss about, so why would you find it odd?  Do you really think a scum player is going to avoid such simple questions and behave so scummy from the outset?
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2011, 01:03:42 am »

backtobasesix: Why are you being so passive?

Hmm. Where have I seen this recently?

backtobasesix, you should probably play soon.

Oh, yeah. Right here.

While the ICs are here to be examples, you should mimic them in style instead of in content. Borrowing content and other lines' of attack without adding anything of your own is generally considered scummy, because you're not doing your own scumhunting, which is extremely important.

Players are generally considered town when they aggressively pursue their own lines of questioning on other players and attempt to get answers to their own questions. This is in general. There are some exceptions, which aren't worth worrying about until they come up. (Mostly, it's agreeing with a player about a case or agreeing on the scumminess of some player. Still, you'll see town ask their own questions and build their own variant of a case, mostly to avoid being completely unoriginal.)

I find your logic and tactic here questionable, Orange.  Firstly, we weren't out of RVS when you tried this, so the idea that someone's reaction to suspicion that early on could be a good tell seems flimsy.  No one typically has suspicions this early on, at least not solid ones, so it's doubtful anyone would even care you were suspicious.

Some notes here.

It's usually said that the RVS ends as soon as somebody votes because they think a player is suspicious. So paying close attention for suspicious things is still important in the RVS. Gauging reactions is basically what the RVS is all about, so paying attention to people's reactions and asking questions to get them isn't a bad tactic. It's actually a pretty good one.

Next, there may not be many tells to read, but there's not much content to them either.  Everyone is concerned with asking questions and reading the replies to the questions they asked, before asking more.  A missed RVS softball question is not the sort of thing to really fuss about, so why would you find it odd?  Do you really think a scum player is going to avoid such simple questions and behave so scummy from the outset?

It's a fine enough thing to fuss about, especially in the RVS since there's so little content to comb over.

Also, don't make any assumptions about what the scum team is or is not capable of. They could play brilliantly or they could play crappily right of the bat. Don't automatically assume they're competent.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2011, 03:27:06 am »

Orangebottle, now that your attempts to scumhunt zombie have been ruined, are you just giving up on the project?

Nah, I'll find some other way to approach him.
But first...

The entire point of RVS is to ask game-related questions, see if the answers are even slightly scummy, and then follow up with more questions and accusations.

There isn't much content to go on in general. I think it's strange because he totally missed the first post of the game, right after the mod's opening post for day 1, and then proceeded to ask the poster why they hadn't posted yet. He wasn't paying attention. Someone not paying attention is a bad thing, especially when looking for scumtells. Wine, for instance. Your last question reeks of it.

It's 1:32 AM here. I'm gonna get some sleep so I can do things tomorrow. Probably won't be able to post until somewhere around 3:00 PM and 7:00 PM PST, it's gonna be a busy day.

My Sig

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2011, 04:49:25 am »

What do you mean by 'kill list'? Lynching? NK? Either way, why do you say that he'll probably be high on the list? 
NK. He's a pretty good player, so if I was scum I'd probably advocate murdering him relatively quickly.
The kitchenette mold free, you move on to the pantry. it's nasty in there. The bacon is grazing on the lettuce. The ham is having an illicit affair with the prime rib, The potatoes see all, know all. A rat in boxer shorts smoking a foul smelling cigar is banging on a cabinet shouting about rent money.

backtobasesix

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2011, 06:27:02 am »

Backtobasesix, who would you target tonight if you were a doctor? Why?
It's a little early right now to decide that. Even if I read through the first few pages I doubt I would be able to choose a target after only a couple days.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 19, 2011, 09:11:25 am »

I'm slightly suspicious of UristMcArathos. I only voted for him because he had not posted yet. When I first wrote my post, it was targeted at billybobfred, but he posted as I was typing, so I redid it for Urist. As for Urist's voting for me, I'm not surprised, as I handled billybobfred's quite badly. There is also the reactionary possibility, as he is the only one to vote for the person who voted for him (so far).

The multiple voting for the same person is somewhat suspicious, though. I imagine that scum would want to off as many other people as possible (as a faster game means one that they have a better chance at winning), and so would want to co-ordinate votes as much as possible. I'm going to wait to see if anybody else changes their votes, but if nobody does (or, if those who do target them towards those who haven't been voted for yet), then I'm going to consider you and UristMcArathos a lot more suspicious. My bad answer could also be considered an excuse to co-ordinate votes on me, as other players (such as Flandre) did not seem to consider it very suspicious at all.

In short, I'm suspecting both him and you right now, but that could easily change.

UristMcArathos, if you were a cop, who would you be snooping tonight?

IronyOwl, if you were a roleblocker, who would you be blocking tonight?

Jim Groovester, if choosing who to kill off today was your decision alone, who would you choose?

Urist_McArathos

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody enjoys a good laugh more than I do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 19, 2011, 01:31:15 pm »

Unvote

ed boy I don't know, honestly.   I suppose I would figure out my top two scum picks, then vote for #1 and inspect #2.

IronyOwl Thank you for the compliment.  So, if you could only have one power root as town, who would prefer: cop or doctor, and why?  Note that you personally do not have to be said role.

zombie Why so apologetic? You do understand part of scumhunting is to pressure people into making mistakes, right?
Current Community/Story Projects:
On the Nature of Dwarves

Reverie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 19, 2011, 03:18:20 pm »

Flandre: certainly.  I was saying that last game, you had the benefit of Webadict's advice to make a decision, so I didn't get to hear your strategy on playing a Doctor.  Basically, how would you decide who to protect in this game?  Same question if you were a cop: how would you decide who to inspect?
Ah.
Well, doctors are tasked with choosing someone to protect that he/she thinks would make the ideal nightkill--one that would not leave many clues or ties with any one of the members of the Mafia. As I have said in the above post, this makes thinking like scum crucial in making such a decision. Personally identifying a player as scum is now important for both an intelligent use of the protect action, as well as convincing other players of the suspect's scumminess and attached lynch vote.

Being a cop is more straightforward, and finding a suitable target should not be difficult. I would inspect a dubious player, because wasting it on someone I have a solid read on is not particular helpful (except to confirm my suspicion).

Urist:
IronyOwl Thank you for the compliment.
If flattery can be intimidating, than this is not it. I am not complaining, but I just found it amusing.

Orangebottle: If you were scum, when do you think it would be appropriate to bus your scum-buddy?

IronyOwl

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope~
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 19, 2011, 06:13:16 pm »

I'm slightly suspicious of UristMcArathos. I only voted for him because he had not posted yet. When I first wrote my post, it was targeted at billybobfred, but he posted as I was typing, so I redid it for Urist. As for Urist's voting for me, I'm not surprised, as I handled billybobfred's quite badly. There is also the reactionary possibility, as he is the only one to vote for the person who voted for him (so far).
That's interesting, because you appear to be voting him without asking him anything. I mean, now you're asking him something, but that's probably because I reminded you about it.

The multiple voting for the same person is somewhat suspicious, though. I imagine that scum would want to off as many other people as possible (as a faster game means one that they have a better chance at winning), and so would want to co-ordinate votes as much as possible. I'm going to wait to see if anybody else changes their votes, but if nobody does (or, if those who do target them towards those who haven't been voted for yet), then I'm going to consider you and UristMcArathos a lot more suspicious. My bad answer could also be considered an excuse to co-ordinate votes on me, as other players (such as Flandre) did not seem to consider it very suspicious at all.
What is it exactly about having multiple votes that makes you suspicious? Would an actual townie intentionally avoid voting people with too many votes on them?

In short, I'm suspecting both him and you right now, but that could easily change.
But you weren't suspicious of me until I voted you?

IronyOwl, if you were a roleblocker, who would you be blocking tonight?
Depends on who's dead. backtobasesix is a good target for being a blatant lurker, though; depending on how things go, you might top that list for scumminess.

IronyOwl Thank you for the compliment.  So, if you could only have one power root as town, who would prefer: cop or doctor, and why?  Note that you personally do not have to be said role.
Hm. I guess I'll say roleblocker. Normally I'd say cop, but the possibility of a godfather plus the chance that one or more scum won't be that hard to find using traditional methods gives it bad odds for actually being useful. With a roleblocker, on the other hand, the targets will often be relatively obvious (notably ICs), and the small game size gives it a good chance of working just on sheer luck. Plus, unless scum's trying some weird gambit, it basically functions like an inspect if it succeeds.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 19, 2011, 06:26:50 pm »

Jim Groovester, if choosing who to kill off today was your decision alone, who would you choose?

Right now, backtobasesix, because he hasn't done anything. While everybody else is trying to feel their way into the game of mafia, he isn't for some reason.

That's your cue, backtobasesix. Get to the hunting.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Orangebottle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 19, 2011, 06:42:23 pm »

It's a little early right now to decide that. Even if I read through the first few pages I doubt I would be able to choose a target after only a couple days.

It's actually a very simple question, similar to others people have already asked and answered. Unlike a vigilante, a doctor should always be using their ability. You're pretty much active lurking now, not answering questions nor scumhunting on your own. Why did you really refuse to answer my question? Waiting for advice from Toaster, scum?

Answer the question I asked you.

Orangebottle: If you were scum, when do you think it would be appropriate to bus your scum-buddy?
Were I scum, I'd bus my partner when they're too scummy or making me look too scummy to be useful.

zombie, what are your thoughts on backtobasesix?
My Sig

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 19, 2011, 07:22:15 pm »

The multiple voting for the same person is somewhat suspicious, though. I imagine that scum would want to off as many other people as possible (as a faster game means one that they have a better chance at winning), and so would want to co-ordinate votes as much as possible.
BM doesn't have a hammer, so that wouldn't work as well. They'd have to hold the line until the end of the day, every day -- admittedly not an impossible task.

On an unrelated note, sitting on this vote of mine isn't doing town any good. Unvote.

So backtobasesix, how did you manage to not realize that the game had started?
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 25