Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 772 773 [774] 775 776 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1599456 times)

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #11595 on: November 21, 2014, 08:39:12 pm »

I was thinking that Skyrim could do with more excess population. It makes it a bit difficult as a werewolf when every place you attack will probably include someone related to a quest.
Inconsequential NPCs is the mod for you!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11596 on: November 21, 2014, 09:20:55 pm »

Heh, foolish of me to think that such a thing wouldn't exist.

It is an advantage of Daggerfall's larger scope I think. The large amount of towns and villages makes more sense. Maybe if the map in Skyrim was increased in size but the number of locations was kept the same. Larger distances between each but it would allow for more bare wilderness. Skyrim can feel rather cramped at times.

Of course a different overland travel would be needed. Faster horses or flying dragon mount to get around. Fast travel as well but that's usually only to places you've been to already.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #11597 on: November 22, 2014, 11:03:13 am »

I don't like the whole "essential" NPCs mechanic at all. Morrowind handled it better, I feel - the game would let you kill everyone but warned you when a quest NPC was killed.

Granted, now all NPCs move around and travel, and without some being 'essential', then you could come into a situation where the NPC was killed by a random wilderness encounter, or by a dragon attack on a town.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11598 on: November 22, 2014, 12:10:13 pm »

I think maybe part of the essential NPC issue is there's too many labelled as such. In Morrowind I believe it was only NPCs relevant to the main quest who were labelled as essential, whereas in Skyrim NPCs related to quest lines like the Thieves Guild, Companions, Mages Guild and so on are also labelled as essential.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

starscream

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11599 on: November 22, 2014, 01:58:39 pm »

a good way to handle essential npc is to have them fall unconscious if you "kill" them.  and they should stay down until you leave the region.  while they are unconscious, you'll have to option of performing a coup de grace knowing full well that you can break some quest lines by doing so (and even break the main quest, so beware of using this).

Radiant_Phoenix

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE_CLASS:MODDER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11600 on: November 23, 2014, 10:01:00 pm »

So, basically, "Protected", but with the following changes:
  • "Fix" the edge cases that get them killed by non-player effects in spite of that status.
  • The player has to deliberately kill them; it doesn't happen by accident.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11601 on: November 23, 2014, 10:18:32 pm »

In the Dragonborn DLC, there's one miniboss Master Neloth sends you to go kill which only dies when you "E" her and select the "Rip her heart out" option from the little menu that pops up. Having a system like that for essential NPCs, except with the "Rip her heart out" option being replaced with "Coup de grace them? This might break one or more quests!" might work. And may even be moddable. The downside is that my game crashed at least once trying to access the little menu thing for the miniboss, so it might not work as well as I'd originally hoped
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11602 on: November 23, 2014, 10:25:51 pm »

That would be nice.  My current playthrough is using destruction magic among other things, and it's revealed to me just how underpowered that is in Skyrim.  Specifically, I basically can't shoot fire at targets my companion is engaging, because the melee wanders around rapidly and randomly, and the hit-area for spells is weird.  Sniping with bows was no big deal (at close ranges).

Because the companion AI being a suicidal nincompoop has no consequences unless I brush them with my fire magic, in which case they're permadead.  It's... kinda arbitrary and weird.  There were situations in a recent quest dungeon where my companion went down on a long walkway, and was keeping the enemies from getting past.  The enemies were able to shoot and cast over him, but I killed him a couple times with spells.  I eventually pulled out a bow I was only carrying for loot value, and sniped them with 2-3 arrows.  15-ish marksmen skill. 

I swear, in vanilla Skyrim, Marksman and Alchemy are both flipping overpowered.  (yes, I know alchemy was infinitely better in Morrowind heh...)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11603 on: November 23, 2014, 10:57:59 pm »

Never really used Alchemy much in Skyrim. Wasn't my kind of thing. And even my largest binges only raised Alchemy by 1-2 each time. Usually I just eschew companions altogether. I will agree Destruction is underpowered mid-late game, at least until you get good enough gear to cast the best spells with little/no mana costs.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11604 on: November 23, 2014, 11:06:23 pm »

I need to get the DLC. D:
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11605 on: November 24, 2014, 05:45:33 am »

The companions in Skyrim (Uh, A.I followers, not the fighters guild) are a fiddly issue. One the one hand if you make them vulnerable to damage I don't tend to take them because they die to traps, enemies or my own flailing. On the other hand, if they're immortal you can sit back and let them handle the situation.

A resurrection system, or maybe recuperation period (since I don't think resurrect really exists in "The Elder Scrolls") where your follower is out of commission for a period of time (Possibly shortened by your skill in restoration) might work. You could visit them in your house of the temple to heal them with spells or potions.

At the risk of making it too complicated, the followers could accrue injuries until a limit where the next downing kills them. The injuries could be cured by random quests to find a specific cure item in a dungeon somewhere.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11606 on: November 24, 2014, 08:58:53 am »

I don't like the whole "essential" NPCs mechanic at all. Morrowind handled it better, I feel - the game would let you kill everyone but warned you when a quest NPC was killed.

Granted, now all NPCs move around and travel, and without some being 'essential', then you could come into a situation where the NPC was killed by a random wilderness encounter, or by a dragon attack on a town.

Alternatively, have named NPCs not be attacked by random dragons and animals. That's what guards are for (add nameless respawning townies if that's really an issue).

Nighthawk

• Bay Watcher
  • INT Score: Yes
    • View Profile
« Reply #11607 on: November 24, 2014, 10:24:32 am »

I like using Knockout Overhaul to deal with the weird NPC immortality conundrum.

It also comes with the added bonus of being able to knock people out and take their stuff without actually killing them or risking a failed pickpocket attempt. :D

Knick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11608 on: November 24, 2014, 10:39:24 am »

I just restarted Skyrim.  I have only been playing it for a little while, since I got it during the Steam Sale.

My first character was a Nord (of course) who specialized in hitting things hard with a two handed Flawless Skyforge Steel sword of frost.  I tried to be a good guy--I really did--but wound up a bit of a cannibal while pursuing the Oblivion Walker achievement.  But no problem!  I can make good by assassinating everyone who knows my secret, and use Eola to get the ebony mail, that'll make up for killing Verulus, right?  Right?

So, overcome with guilt, I restarted.  This time, I had chose an Altmer named Drogo (since I made him look like Kal Drogo).  I have decided that he will be a bit of a bastard, specializing in magic, stealth, assassination, and thievery (last time, I destroyed the Dark Brotherhood).  I am looking forward to killing as many NPC's as possible.  I am probably going to start with Sven, once I have leveled a bit.  I will say it was strange walking to Windhelm and not being able to stop off to visit the girls in Breezehome.  I am also kind of avoiding Sofia.  It feels awkward since I can't adopt her.

I'd suggest getting a mod that lets you deactivate protection for vital characters without flat-disabling it all the time, otherwise you'll be spending a lot of time with the console.

Yes, I'm still on that kick about how the "Thieve's" Guild cut-rate mafiosos all need to die terrible deaths.

Still playing as a High-elf mage/sneak.  I was disappointed to see that Bulethor was killed by a vampire attack.  I do not like Bulethor, and was looking forward to killing him myself.  He bothers me.  However, this means I am lacking a ready buyer of goods.  I do not want to have to travel to Riverwood every time I want to sell a necklace.

Trying to decide what to do next.  I have managed a few dungeon crawls.  I tried a sneak and snipe on a bandit camp, but failed. DId a frontal assault with Uthgerd, and that went well.  Frostbite is very effective.  Also, I really like Uthgerd.  Her voice is much less annoying than Mjoll's.

As an Altermer, I feel I should sow as much chaos as possible.  I think that would require that I support the Stormcloaks.  At the same time, I don't want them to be too strong, so when I have leveled up a bit, I might try massacring some of the encampments.  Is it possible to kill sick people as well?
Give a man a fire, and you keep him warm for a day.  Light a man on fire and you keep him warm for the rest of his life.
The great Dwarfen Philosopher Urist McConfused said it best:  "Light a kitten on fire and it will run screaming into the booze stockpile and catch the whole fort up.  I know, we tested it in twelve different forts and it always happened."

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11609 on: November 24, 2014, 11:20:38 am »

I know you can kill them as a werewolf anyway  ;D
If you get the "Fence" perk from speech, you can sell stolen goods to any merchant you've invested in.

And yeah, screw the "thieves" guild.  I want to steal things, not threaten peoples' families.  More a criticism of the faction than of the game, it makes sense that a bunch of desperately poor criminals living in a sewer would resort to such means.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.
Pages: 1 ... 772 773 [774] 775 776 ... 896