Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 896

Author Topic: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim  (Read 1602102 times)

Mr. Strange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim
« Reply #10065 on: January 16, 2014, 07:41:41 pm »

I suspect that, at least one of the developers is secretly a pyromaniac.
And what about certain modders?
Then you get cities like Paris where you should basically just kill yourself already.

You won’t have to think anymore: it’ll be just like having fun!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10066 on: January 16, 2014, 08:08:04 pm »

Fire is kind of an easily recognized immediate danger. Freezing a town or dumping a ton of acid in a river might be dangerous, but it doesn't whip people into a panic in quite the same way, and things like disease, drought, hunger are a less immediate, less tangible threat. Eastern-style generic energy blasts work in a similar way, but it's harder to tie them to natural themes (i.e. qi volcano?). Hence, fire (and magma by proxy) ends up being the de facto universal representation for anything bad and destructive.
Well, lightning evokes raw, natural(or divine) power too. But other than that, pretty much.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10067 on: January 16, 2014, 09:25:19 pm »

Most mods will work without starting the game all over again, yes.

Gamerboy4life

• Bay Watcher
  • Helicopegasus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10068 on: January 16, 2014, 09:38:22 pm »

Most mods will work without starting the game all over again, yes.

Just always make sure you back up before modding any game.
I need to put something interesting here.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #10069 on: January 16, 2014, 09:49:02 pm »

Yeah, it's uninstalling that causes things to go wonky.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10070 on: January 17, 2014, 12:34:13 am »

Anyone have a link to that LP where they installed the mods without looking?

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #10071 on: January 17, 2014, 12:50:32 am »

It's FEF, not FEOF

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10072 on: January 17, 2014, 01:08:10 am »

So, an hour ago I started installing mods for an immersion playthrough, and have encountered a problem. Whenever I actually start the game, (using Alternate Start) Skyrim CTDs a couple seconds in. The cabin-thingy for alternate start works fine, though.
Spoiler: My mods (click to show/hide)
I'm a bit of a newbie to Skyrim modding. I've tried troubleshooting by uninstalling numerous mods, but I can't seem to get it to work.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10073 on: January 17, 2014, 01:24:58 am »

I recommend getting BOSS. It detects conflicts and auto sorts mods

http://boss-developers.github.io/
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 01:28:38 am by dennislp3 »

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10074 on: January 17, 2014, 01:48:51 am »

So, an hour ago I started installing mods for an immersion playthrough, and have encountered a problem. Whenever I actually start the game, (using Alternate Start) Skyrim CTDs a couple seconds in. The cabin-thingy for alternate start works fine, though.
Spoiler: My mods (click to show/hide)
I'm a bit of a newbie to Skyrim modding. I've tried troubleshooting by uninstalling numerous mods, but I can't seem to get it to work.

Inigo conflicts with quite a few things. I'm not sure of the compatibility with the ones you've got, but with follower overhauls Inigo totally broke the game.

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10075 on: January 17, 2014, 02:10:04 am »

Huh. Somehow I "fixed" it. BOSS didn't find anything and removing inigo didn't help. I noticed that it only crashes if you try to look around/move within about 10 seconds of spawning. At that 10 seconds, Total Realism appears to initiate. It would appear that total realism was somehow causing the problem, but that doesn't really make any sense.
Oh well. At least it's working. Thanks for the help.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Shadowlord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10076 on: January 17, 2014, 05:22:36 am »

I started a new game with UFO (1.2jb15) (and a bunch of other mods, including Interesting NPCs) a couple weeks ago, and have noticed no problems (besides a couple CTDs that I don't know the cause of). Of course, that doesn't mean there aren't problems that I haven't noticed. Is AFT really that much better? It's not like I'm going to update UFO on a game in progress anyways even if a new version did come out in the future. Updating mods is always how I've broken saves in past Bethesda games. Well, that and regular old Bethesda save game instability. At least the autosave doesn't cause later crashes anymore.
<Dakkan> There are human laws, and then there are laws of physics. I don't bike in the city because of the second.
Dwarf Fortress Map Archive

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10077 on: January 17, 2014, 05:35:17 am »

I use UFO all the time.

No real issues.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10078 on: January 18, 2014, 04:15:08 am »

Uh.
How do you use items? Scrolls and such. I've never had to, but I'm caught in a brawl with four Falmer and several insect things as a level 6 Mage with 120 health.
I'm dying a lot, so I need to use one of my scrolls of fireball, only I never learned how.
How do?
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10079 on: January 18, 2014, 05:44:08 am »

Uh.
How do you use items? Scrolls and such. I've never had to, but I'm caught in a brawl with four Falmer and several insect things as a level 6 Mage with 120 health.
I'm dying a lot, so I need to use one of my scrolls of fireball, only I never learned how.
How do?
If I'm remembering it right, you first have to 'F'avourite the item in the menu, then in game you have to use the 'Q'uick access menu to use it. Or something like that. :/
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."
Pages: 1 ... 670 671 [672] 673 674 ... 896